Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Worst/most impressive Summer: 2010 vs 2011 vs 2012

MN Transplant

Our record summer run  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which summer's climate was the most impressive?

• 2010: The sustained heat summer
    • 2011: The hot and humid summer
    • 2012: The year of the torch

Vote your preference and argue your selection below. Some stats:

Overall: Warmest Summer on record

Monthly:

Warmest June

3rd warmest July

10th warmest August

Daily records (still standing):

4 record highs

4 record high mins

Special factors:

Tied for the most 90° days at 67

Overall: 2nd warmest Summer

Monthly:

4th warmest June

Warmest July/month

T-13th warmest August

7 record highs

13 record high mins

Special factors:

"Sweat ceiling" at the end of July included 7 days with lows of 80° or above (including tying the all-time record high min) and heat indices at or above 120°

All-time high at IAD of 105°

Overall: 3rd warmest Summer

Monthly:

23rd warmest June on record

2nd warmest July

T-5th warmest August

3 record highs

5 record high mins

Special factors:

Tied for the most 95+ degree temps

2nd most 100 degree temps, and most in one month

Highest daily average temperature (105/82 on 7/7)

I voted for 2010, but I think it would be better to wait until the end of the astronomical summer. If you consider the extended summer to be the period June 1-September 23, 2010 is hottest at 80.1, with 1980 second at 80.0, and 2011 third at 79.1. Based on the current outlook for September, I suspect 2012 will be fourth.

Apparently everyone's decided DCA sucks this year. I see Bob Ryan already heavily couching the "third warmest." I think partly we just downsloped more efficiently on hot days this yr.

I have only been recording obs here since 2006. At MRB, which is the nearest airport station, 1980 had 62 days of 90 and 6 more 89s.

In some ways, 1980 was the most remarkable summer ever in this area. As of July 31, 1980, there had been only thirty-one 90+ days at DCA that year. Then, there were twenty-two such days in August and fourteen in September. Further, 1980 was easily the hottest astronomical summer (June 21-September 23) ever in DC, with an average temperature of 81.7, versus 80.4 in 2010 and 79.2 in 2011. 2012 could challenge 2010 for second place in that category with a warm September, but it is unlikely to come close to 1980.

Pretty even voting so far. I haven't decided yet. The climate purist in me sees that 2010 was the warmest, and is therefore the king. However, that obscene stretch in 2011, and the fact that so many records from that summer still stand make it a serious candidate. This summer was certainly a blast furnace, and the ease of which we went to high temperatures was impressive, but the fairly tame June and 2/3rds of August put it 3rd in my book.

Voted 2011 for the combination of heat and severe weather...

6/9/11- there was an isolated severe storm just over the Glen Burnie/BWI area, which was one of the most damaging storms I've ever seen here. Official maximum wind gust at BWI was 56 mph, IMBY we lost several trees, some roofs were damaged and the power was knocked out until the next day.

July 2011 was the hottest July/month on record for BWI. On 7/22/11, BWI had a high of 106, the hottest ever recorded at that location. This was also the day BGE decided to put me (and many others) on peak rewards and cycle off our air conditioning all day.

August 2011 we had the earthquake and then Irene, which knocked out my power for several days.

2010 was consistently hotter, but not much impressive severe weather here. The 2012 derecho was weak IMBY and I didn't even lose power (though I know this isn't the case with most other areas).

Frankly, 2012 IMBY was nothing compared to 2010 or 2011. Both those years were epic drought summers IMBY, with cloudless skies begatting punishingly hot sunshine for weeks on end (pretty much months on end in 2010). July 2011 was the worst, but 2010 had the earliest-ever 90 degree day and heat wave (early April for God's sake), and it stayed super hot until October. I was recording my own OBS at that time and I remember something like 8 95+ days in freaking September. I pray nothing ever again compares to that miserable 6-month summer.

Yeah, normally I am a straight stats guy, but I think this time I will take perception. 2011.

What say you, Ian?

I'm still thinking it over. I like big heat so this yr has a special place at least looking at DCA alone.

• 3 weeks later...

In some ways, 1980 was the most remarkable summer ever in this area. As of July 31, 1980, there had been only thirty-one 90+ days at DCA that year. Then, there were twenty-two such days in August and fourteen in September. Further, 1980 was easily the hottest astronomical summer (June 21-September 23) ever in DC, with an average temperature of 81.7, versus 80.4 in 2010 and 79.2 in 2011. 2012 could challenge 2010 for second place in that category with a warm September, but it is unlikely to come close to 1980.

The numbers are finalized for the 2012 astronomical and composite (June 1-September 23) summers in DC, and they reveal third and fourth place finishes, respectively. The 2012 astronomical summer averaged 80.2, which left it 1.5 degrees behind 1980 and 0.2 degrees behind 2010, but 1.0 degree ahead of 2011. The 2012 composite summer averaged 79.0, which left it 1.1 degrees behind 2010, 1.0 degrees behind 1980, and 0.1 degrees behind 2011. Also, barring an improbable late September heat wave, September 2012 saw only three 90+ days at DCA.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for 2012 because this is the year I have completely realized (decided) that I do not like the climate in this part of the country, every summer sucks around here!

IMO the weather here is too hot, too humid, too buggy, too wet, then we have droughts but it is still humid! Then too windy and brown from lack of snow in the winters.

There are few days now and then with bright sunshine, low humidity and cool nights, just not enough to keep me here for the 2nd half of my life.

It is now my goal to be moved away from this part of the country within 4 years. My eco WV mountain get away home is for sale now and that is step one.

Archived