e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
September 2012 General Discussion

Brewers

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alek and Tropical have the same climate it would seem.

The UHI in downtown Chicago is ridiculous. Many mornings this past week were 34-38 in the far western/northern suburbs of Chicago, 41-44 at ORD...yet it stayed in the 50s downtown. There can be a 15+ degree difference on clear calm nights.

It's pretty sad that we can influence our landscape so much where there can be such localized differences...but such is life.

Really? This is the whole LOT AFD and they're not issuing any frost/freeze headlines? Horrible, just horrible.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

430 PM CDT SAT SEP 22 2012

DISCUSSION

430 PM CDT

COOL AND DRY THE REST OF THE WEEKEND THEN MODERATING TEMPERATURES

FIRST PART OF THE WORK WEEK...REACHING A BIT ABOVE NORMALS BY TUE.

ANOTHER COLD FRONT MOVING S ACROSS THE LOCAL AREA LATER TUE AND

TUE NIGHT BRINGS ANOTHER CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND POSSIBLY SOME

THUNDERSTORMS...MAINLY FOR THE SOUTHERN 1/2 OF THE FA. THE THREAT

OF SHOWERS AND A FEW THUNDERSTORMS PERSISTS ACROSS THE SOUTHERN

PORTION OF THE LOCAL FORECAST AREA ON WED AS THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY

TEMPORARILY BECOMES STATIONARY JUST TO THE S. THE COLD FRONT PASSAGE

ALSO BRINGS A BIT OF A COOL DOWN DROPPING TEMPERATURES BACK TO A FEW

DEGREES BELOW NORMALS FOR WED AND THU...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE N 1/2

OF THE FA.

TRS

I don't know why they don't issue a frost advisory for the lake shore counties. Flow is offshore and light at that. Currently 47°. Forecast is for upper 30s tonight, lol - it will probably be in the upper 30s by midnight!

Edit: Already 42° at Kenosha at 8pm.

Quad Cities has upper 20s for us(hopefully a couple degrees warmer here in the city). Their new update says wind and temp are dropping off faster than expected, which isn't what I want to hear. I spent three hours this afternoon/evening covering everything I could in the garden, but I'll have to let a few plants get zapped.

Lol at Cook County getting a frost advisory before Milwaukee County does. They should've been left out, although issuing one for the rest of N Illinois makes sense.

Cook County is a large county my friend.. Many of the N/NW suburbs will be seeing 30's tonight. Sure the city itself won't but like with any other headline even if part of a county gets it, the whole county will be highlighted.

Milwaukee County otoh is much narrower compared to Cook county so even the furthest west parts of the county are really close to the lake and won't be seeing any 30's.

For comparison's sake longitude wise, the furthest west areas of Cook County would be in the heart of Waukesha county in SE Wi..

Cook County is a large county my friend.. Many of the N/NW suburbs will be seeing 30's tonight. Sure the city itself won't but like with any other headline even if part of a county gets it, the whole county will be highlighted.

Milwaukee County otoh is much narrower compared to Cook county and even the furthest west parts of the county are really close to the lake so they won't be seeing any 30's.

You would think they would divide the county into zones if it is big and part of it is near water. Up here areas near Lake Superior are put in a separate zone than areas away from the lake and hence you have different headlines for different zones in the same county.

57º for the high at LAF today...18º below the normal max temp of 75º for Sept 22. Coldest high since April 28.

For comparison's sake, the high of 103º on July 7 at LAF was 18º above the normal max temp of 85º for that day.

Funny how the fanfare, or lack of in one case, is different for both "achievements".

You would think they would divide the county into zones if it is big and part of it is near water. Up here areas near Lake Superior are put in a separate zone than areas away from the lake and hence you have different headlines for different zones in the same county.

I think most people near the Lake in Cook County know the drill (they'll stay warmer versus places inland). But for real though, I wonder how many people actually pay attention to frost/freeze advisories?

That's a nice feature. They could split the lakeshore counties up around here too. Usually the effects from the lake only influence conditions within 10 miles - like LES, fog off the lake, and a frost headline like tonight. Cook County could be split up in a few different ways. The NW quarter, north of Du Page and west of the tollway could be one zone, the heart of the city another, and the southside another zone. Lake, Kenosha, Racine counties could be split down the middle.

Lol at Cook County getting a frost advisory before Milwaukee County does. They should've been left out, although issuing one for the rest of N Illinois makes sense.

Usually the forecast products for Cook Co are based on the Chicago forecast, so it is surprising.

Sure the city itself won't but like with any other headline even if part of a county gets it, the whole county will be highlighted.

Many times this is not the case due to the aforementioned.

Archived