• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Atlantic Tropical Action 2012 - Part II

AL, 93, 2012091618, , BEST, 0, 258N, 958W, 20, 1014, LO,

1013 mb with a recent windshift to WSW at the databuoy ESE of BRO.

Still not terribly exciting. As long as it doesn't interfere with moisture transport towards my lawn tonight and tomorrow, I am ok with a possible TD hitting Louisiana. So far, it isn't per SPC Meso analysis surface winds, dewpoints and 850 mb moisture transport. I'll be ok if it shuts us down a little early.

GFS analyzed 250 mb winds are nasty right over the NW Gulf coast, 30 to 50 knots, but more like 15 to 20 knots where the disturbance is.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How's 2013 looking?

Glass half full, as least a weakening warm ENSO being forecast by most guidance.

SST_table.gif

Bendy mod killed my Southern Hemisphere 2012-2013 tropics thread as being premature, even as Winter threads were started a month prior, but the question had to be answered. And I am not giving up on an October surprise, an Opal or Wilma type system that will make the entire season worthwhile.

A couple of different models are suggesting a sub-tropical development in the short term West of Nadine, that should be short lived, interest nobody, but perhaps take the name 'Oscar'. Top down development as a energy carves out a cutoff polar low, and an almost immediate surface reflection develops.

Elsewhere, absolutely nothing looks to happen.

post-138-0-30573600-1347968384_thumb.gif

A couple of different models are suggesting a sub-tropical development in the short term West of Nadine, that should be short lived, interest nobody, but perhaps take the name 'Oscar'. Top down development as a energy carves out a cutoff polar low, and an almost immediate surface reflection develops.

If the GFS is right and Nadine exits right, the central Atlantic ridge will be stronger and there's a chance the AEW currently exiting the African coast could survive in marginal conditions and move towards the Caribbean. Other than that, nothing looks imminent in the MDR.

The -NAO and +PNA ridges amplified the pattern with a trough that killed the GoM, there could be a chance it could open briefly in around 2 weeks after the pattern relaxes, but probably only for the BoC and E GoM. Elsewhere, the Caribbean and Tropical Atlantic look ok shear wise, but instability isn't there, as hasn't been most of the season.

Non tropical upper low possible generating a surface reflection is now a lemon.

post-138-0-28850200-1348053129_thumb.jpg

Yeah I'm starting to think my ideas before the season of this year being an "active early with an early shutdown" is starting to ring true. I'm surprised September has been as quiet as it has, but I think we are only looking at maybe a handful more storms this year (probably 2, 3 max). We may get lucky with a western Caribbean development, but I think the trends of this season lean towards more subtropical development out in the Atlantic, especially with El Niño rapidly approaching.

The Atlantic Basin is growing...

BEGIN

NHC_ATCF

invest_al942012.invest

FSTDA

R

U

NONE

NOTIFY=ATRP

END

INVEST, AL, L, , , , , 94, 2012, DB, O, 2012091918, 9999999999, , , , , , METWATCH, , AL942012

AL, 94, 2012091918, , BEST, 0, 120N, 970W, 20, 0, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0,

I'm telling you..

The sub-tropical Atlantic has become the new MDR over the past four years.

Sub-tropical storm Oscar seems like a decent possibility now.

1. CLOUDINESS AND SHOWERS OVER THE CENTRAL ATLANTIC ABOUT 750 MILES

EAST-SOUTHEAST OF BERMUDA ARE ASSOCIATED WITH A NON-TROPICAL LOW

PRESSURE AREA. THE CIRCULATION OF THE LOW IS GRADUALLY BECOMING

BETTER DEFINED...AND THE ASSOCIATED SHOWER ACTIVITY IS SLOWLY

INCREASING IN ORGANIZATION. THIS SYSTEM HAS A MEDIUM CHANCE...40

PERCENT...OF BECOMING A SUBTROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48

HOURS AS IT MOVES WESTWARD TO WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AT ABOUT 10 MPH.

BEGIN

NHC_ATCF

invest_al942012.invest

FSTDA

R

U

NONE

NOTIFY=ATRP

END

INVEST, AL, L, , , , , 94, 2012, DB, O, 2012091918, 9999999999, , , , , , METWATCH, , AL942012

AL, 94, 2012091918, , BEST, 0, 310N, 510W, 25, 0, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0,

This afternoon's AL94 has become tonights EP93. GFS has been enthused on a quick forming and quick dying STS for a couple of days now.

Doesn't live long, true, but it is sort of aimed at SNE before it dies.

44.phase2.png

I wouldn't push him.

Good instincts. :)

boohoo.gif:lmao:

Better hush up. :P

I'm calling you a :weenie: for canceling hurricane season in the middle of what's been a very active season so far. Only :weenie: :weenie: :weenie: do that.

Sassyturtle. :D

It's in the middle of the season, but the pattern sure looks lousy, and the long-range global models are showing nothing. I'm starting to shift my hopes to Oct in da EPAC.

I'm calling you a :weenie: for canceling hurricane season in the middle of what's been a very active season so far. Only :weenie: :weenie: :weenie: do that.

Active in the 2011 boring kind of active sense. Nobody will remember Kirk or Gordon in a couple of years. I can even handle fish, if they are classic long lived beautiful satellite fish.

It's in the middle of the season, but the pattern sure looks lousy, and the long-range global models are showing nothing. I'm starting to shift my hopes to Oct in da EPAC.

I agree we're in a bit of a quiet period which will extend at least another week, due to the failure of the positive phase of the MJO to cross from the East Pacific to the Atlantic over the past few days. Things could change quickly after a week though for all we know, certainly can't say it's over since the past couple weeks have been relatively quiet... though not even that quiet since we still have active storms.

Hi all.. I'm interpreting the tone on this forum as frustrated/sad/giving up on the season, whatever you may call it. Listen, we knew that Atlantic tropical cyclone activity would become suppressed for much of September... This relative period of inactivity was well predicted weeks ago and is just a bi-product of an unfavorable intraseasonal state. The key word here is intraseasonal, meaning weekly time-sclaes. The state of the atmosphere with regards to ENSO is as it was a month ago. The season is NOT over and I do believe we will still see the development of future tropical cyclones towards the end of September through mid-October.

Hi all.. I'm interpreting the tone on this forum as frustrated/sad/giving up on the season, whatever you may call it. Listen, we knew that Atlantic tropical cyclone activity would become suppressed for much of September... This relative period of inactivity was well predicted weeks ago and is just a bi-product of an unfavorable intraseasonal state. The key word here is intraseasonal, meaning weekly time-sclaes. The state of the atmosphere with regards to ENSO is as it was a month ago. The season is NOT over and I do believe we will still see the development of future tropical cyclones towards the end of September through mid-October.

OK, but where? More high-latitude crap? More Azores action? Or something of consequence?

Archived