• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Atlantic Tropical Action 2012 - Part II

GFS at 192 still implies next system will recurve, has just enough of the trough that gets Leslie hanging back near 60ºW to catch it, but it still doesn't look like a slam dunk to me that it will get completely caught. On the other hand, as far North as it is starting, even though GFS implies it wouldn't get classified for probaly 4 or 5 days, it would be semi-miraculous. But then they said snow in South Texas for Christmas couldn't be done.

Closer to home, 90L looks terrible, but NHC dropped it from 1010 to 1009 mb between the 6Z and 12Z best tracks, enough for me to remain my naturally sunny glass 7/64th glass full optimistic on development, and 3/128th optimistic on affectings ensible weather in Houston beyond reducing what little convergence the weak weekend front had to work with anyway.

post-138-0-02263700-1347039216_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My hunch is the Western Caribbean and perhaps the Gulf will be the areas to watch as we enter the last half of September to mid October. The Carla cradle would tend to be the favored spot, IMO. Also, the EPAC looks to begin a nice uptick as well with storms generally heading inland or NE along the Mexican West Coast and Baja Region.

GFS at 192 still implies next system will recurve, has just enough of the trough that gets Leslie hanging back near 60ºW to catch it, but it still doesn't look like a slam dunk to me that it will get completely caught. On the other hand, as far North as it is starting, even though GFS implies it wouldn't get classified for probaly 4 or 5 days, it would be semi-miraculous. But then they said snow in South Texas for Christmas couldn't be done.

Looking at the GFS ensembles, they spaghetti for this system seems to support the conventional wisdom that the longer it takes to develop, the better the chance it has to make the ECUSA. There is one (#004 for those keeping track at home) with a sub 984 hurricane headed for Long Island or SNE at Day 16, and it is about the last perturbation to develop a 1000 mb low from the disturbed area currently near 30ºW.

Reduced glass resolution at Day 16, glass near/just below 1/8th full for a 1938 anniversary (+/- a couple of days) storm.

Looking at the GFS ensembles, they spaghetti for this system seems to support the conventional wisdom that the longer it takes to develop, the better the chance it has to make the ECUSA. There is one (#004 for those keeping track at home) with a sub 984 hurricane headed for Long Island or SNE at Day 16, and it is about the last perturbation to develop a 1000 mb low from the disturbed area currently near 30ºW.

Reduced glass resolution at Day 16, glass near/just below 1/8th full for a 1938 anniversary (+/- a couple of days) storm.

I could see a 1938 redox happening on at least 1 GGEM ensemble member

I could see a 1938 redox happening on at least 1 GGEM ensemble member

I'm ashamed to admit it is bookmarked. After I discovered its existence because of MetFan...

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/ensemble/#pmsl

Maybe GEM 0. 15 could be a Florida hit.

Its getting harder to be a natural optimist as the season goes on, approaches the peak, with crappy fish storms and all. At least I'm not completely tropic-centric, and have severe weather to look at today and tomorrow. Not in my home subforum, so I'll just lurk and vicariously enjoy it.

Losing IMBY interest because all signs say season over NW Gulf, but between the one real system in 1949, and my last pre-October season cancel being followed by a Summer without a beach place to crash at, I'll try to get excited by Carla Cradle talk.

And, frankly, one good Florida YouTube storm in October would shake me, and a lot of the forum, out of any developing funk. And I was out of the country and missed it, but I'm sure I'd like a November 1985 redux.

GFS long range says 1995/2010 fish parade.

I'm not so sure I buy that at this time. The next wave will exit Africa further S and appears to take longer to develop (beyond 55W). The long range pattern suggests that a zonal flow will re develop as High Pressure builds N of the MDR. The weaker the disturbance traversing the MDR the better the chances of development beyond the Leeward Islands. We will see.

post-32-0-64487300-1347108972_thumb.jpg

post-32-0-72185100-1347108979_thumb.gif

Sort of subtle, but maybe everything shifts Westward just a tad in the medium range to let anything developing East/Central way get much closer to ECUSA, although I suspect the i-Cyclone type possible storms from this point out will come North, then Northeast out of the Caribbean as the likely genesis region starts shrinking and allowing initial development closer to North America with the changing seasons.
, a touch more optimistic the season won't shut down as early as I feared a month or two ago.

Euro is a parade of fish, but I think I like where the 500 mb pattern seems to be shifting to at Day 10. 6Z GFS ensemble means seemed to support the Euro at 10 days.

post-138-0-27148700-1347122148_thumb.gif

112th anniversary of the Big Galveston storm. Euro isn't looking good so on a 74th anniversary (plus or minus) 1938 storm, but looks like a TC for the Madeira islands or thereabouts.

You can see that it was a very large hurricane like Ike and Carla from a recent reanalysis animation.

http://sos.noaa.gov/videos/reanalysis_hurricane.mov

Would make sense considering that massive surge.

See Josh's post above. 25 knot weaker Ike might have nearly equalled or possibly even exceeded Galveston surge flooding, at least from the bay side, maybe even over top of the post-1900 sea wall, if it had landfalled where 1900 did.

Who knows if it verifies, but next AEW after 91L doesn't develop, but looking decent (well, as a wave) and in Caribbean per Euro. Pontential later developing Caribbean cruiser/Mexico system of the i-Cyclone variety, last reasonable chance based on time of year for NW Gulf action, although I wouldn't expect this to be a NW Gulf system.

Not obviously supported by GFS ensembles, which tempers any talk of half or any other type partially full glasses at this point.

There have been some hints in the past few days' operational and ensemble GFS and Euro of activity in the w. Caribbean and Gulf in the

8-14 day timeframe. At the very least, it looks like the next few waves behind 91L will likely stay rooted in the ITCZ for a while and have a good chance of making it into the Caribbean or SW Atlantic, instead of being pulled northward.

Paul Roundy's OLR/850 wind anomaly forecast is also encouraging for mid-late September:

post-88-0-48387200-1347274725_thumb.png

There have been some hints in the past few days' operational and ensemble GFS and Euro of activity in the w. Caribbean and Gulf in the

8-14 day timeframe. At the very least, it looks like the next few waves behind 90L will likely stay rooted in the ITCZ for a while and have a good chance of making it into the Caribbean or SW Atlantic, instead of being pulled northward.

Paul Roundy's OLR/850 wind anomaly forecast is also encouraging for mid-late September:

:wub:

Thank you. Was feeling a bit gloomy the last few days.

8-14 day timeframe. At the very least, it looks like the next few waves behind 90L will likely stay rooted in the ITCZ for a while and have a good chance of making it into the Caribbean or SW Atlantic, instead of being pulled northward.

post-88-0-48387200-1347274725_thumb.png

I tend to agree and have been posting for a couple of days for our local folks here in Texas about the potential upcoming pattern...

The long range 12Z Euro finally is catching on to what the GFS has been 'hinting'. A disturbance behind 91L enters the Caribbean and the 18Z GFS is suggesting a surface low crossing the Yucatan and entering the Western Gulf while slowly strengthening. While this is still a ways out, seeing more guidance agreement from the reliable models lends a bit of creditability that the season may not be over a bit closer to home. We will see.

New Euro has backed off a bit compared to yesterday's Euro, But Euro is no longer king.

Our fearless leader of the KHOU-TV Channel 11 local forum may be even more of a glass half full type optimist than I am. But hoping the next 12Z Euro shows what yesterday's did. Beyond the resolution chop, the 6Z GFS in 11 days trying to show something weak in the Northwest Gulf. 45 knot winds at 250 mb overhead, weak might indeed be the operative word.

But at least it isn't completely hopeless.

Archived