Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Atlantic Tropical Action 2012 - Part II

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The struggle against model boguscanes was a long one (and yes, I believe there was a scientific paper that actually called them that - might want to google it up.) I'm not quite certain how they were removed, but the AVN/MRF was hideous regarding them about a decade ago.

I assumed part of the Boguscane thing was grid scale convective feedback. Something that came up in a severe thread, with an entire series of the SREF members developing what looked like massive supercells, and I was told by a pro-met those were resolution induced QPF bombs, and one of the ways to identify a QPF bomb was a model developing a 500 mb low from all the latent heat release. I have since always assumed grid scale resolution would be inversely associated with boguscanes.

But I heard they tweaked the CMC, and I don't think they upgraded the grid scale.

I have since always assumed grid scale resolution would be inversely associated with boguscanes.

This is true, but increasing resolution isn't the fix to the problem. It's the convective and radiative parameterizations that cause that sort of thing. The CMC has been doing a lot of work to fix their radiative scheme to make grid scale feedback less likely.

Do any of the models show development of the wave SSE of Nadine?

Shear is way too strong and too much dry air for that feature to develop in the near term. The more favored area of cyclogenesis would tend to be in the BoC/Western Gulf next week and the SW/Western Caribbean the following week, IMO.

I found the Op GFS and GEFS individual members did a fine job of not predicting very much activity in July until they started sniffing out Ernesto, and they don't seem, best of my recollection, to have missed anything that did form. Run after run.

12Z and 18Z GFS have rain and somewhat lower pressure in Caribbean, but GEFS are remarkably unexciting, a few members of the 12Z ensembles showing some possible activity in the SW Caribbean in 2 weeks, but the models are suggesting to me, as an interested amateur, it will stay painfully slow for a while.

Late month, SW Caribbean, not much before then in my amateur opinion.

However, in Steve's Texas thread, I noted while models are fairly unenthusiastic on actual TCs, and even though past the end of the unofficial Texas season (the Equinox, but 1949 makes me glass 3/512th optimisitic just because it happened once, maybe 5/512th if we count Barelycane Jerry) GFS STR position and 250 mb winds over the Gulf at 2 weeks says while it is almost certainly too late, not to give up all hope. Anything in the Caribbean could be steered Northwest into the Gulf, and upper winds aren't terrible.

And, well, if we get late September/early October Carla Cradle action and it hits Florida and generates thousands of YouTube uploads, 2011 will be a success anyway.

I don't know how everyone else feels, but that's WAY too much blue...

I really hope late September into October can be somewhat interesting with at least one "Carla Cradle" system.

800px-2012_Atlantic_hurricane_season_summary_map.png

If you use your imagination a bit, the tracks in the N. Atlantic spell "LOL". Appropriately.

Second earliest to 8 storms in 100 years, and everyone is acting bummed just because we're not getting 1938 or Andrew Part Deux. And we could still get an Opal or Wilma.

I think it's this quantity over quality thing over the past couple of years that has worn some down.

I don't know how everyone else feels, but that's WAY too much blue...

I really hope late September into October can be somewhat interesting with at least one "Carla Cradle" system.

Yeah, the amount of blue is just ugly. And if it weren't for those two dabs of yellow-- on the Yucatan and in Louisiana-- it would be completely tragic.

The funny thing is, if the season completely craps out from here, I have to grade it a solid B from a chase perspective, as I squeezed two interesting chases out of it. Yeah, they were Cat 1s, but for what they were, they were cool-- 'specially Baby Ernie.

Still not an Invest yet on the ATCF website, but the probabilities for development over the next 48 hours on the 2 pm TWO for the Central Atlantic wave have gone up to 20%.

Good catch there. I hadn't noticed. Despite the lack of enthusiasm from the models-- and all of us here-- the feature has remained persistent and coherent. I like that it's made it so far W.

Any takers?

SHIPS and LGEM are around 95-100 knots in the long range. This will not happen, but it's somewhat interesting to see.

BEGIN

NHC_ATCF

invest_al922012.invest

FSTDA

R

U

NONE

NOTIFY=ATRP

END

INVEST, AL, L, , , , , 92, 2012, DB, O, 2012091518, 9999999999, , , , , , METWATCH, , AL922012

AL, 92, 2012091518, , BEST, 0, 125N, 522W, 25, 0, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0,

20120915.2015.goes13.x.vis2km.92LINVEST.25kts-NAmb-125N-522W.100pc.jpg

Any takers?

SHIPS and LGEM are around 95-100 knots in the long range. This will not happen, but it's somewhat interesting to see.

BEGIN

NHC_ATCF

invest_al922012.invest

FSTDA

R

U

NONE

NOTIFY=ATRP

END

INVEST, AL, L, , , , , 92, 2012, DB, O, 2012091518, 9999999999, , , , , , METWATCH, , AL922012

AL, 92, 2012091518, , BEST, 0, 125N, 522W, 25, 0, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0,

20120915.2015.goes13.x.vis2km.92LINVEST.25kts-NAmb-125N-522W.100pc.jpg

Yes 180kts 870mb. If it doesn't happen I owe you 1 cent.

One thing is for sure, W GoM won't see anything out of it...W Carib then a sharp recurve towards FL is the most probable outcome if it develops.

Right now it looks more like a E Atlantic disturbance, because the strong Erly shear, thanks to the anticyclone between it and Nadine, which is generating the Werly shear over the latter.

post-29-0-76381200-1347751716_thumb.gif

Archived