Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Atlantic Tropical Action 2012 - Part II

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

800 PM EDT SAT SEP 15 2012

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER IS ISSUING ADVISORIES ON HURRICANE

NADINE...LOCATED ABOUT 980 MILES EAST OF BERMUDA.

AN ELONGATED AREA OF LOW PRESSURE ASSOCIATED WITH A TROPICAL WAVE

LOCATED ABOUT 450 MILES EAST OF THE WINDWARD ISLANDS IS PRODUCING A

LARGE AREA OF CLOUDINESS AND DISORGANIZED SHOWERS AND

THUNDERSTORMS. WHILE UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE CURRENTLY MARGINAL FOR

SIGNIFICANT DEVELOPMENT...THEY COULD BECOME MORE CONDUCIVE IN A

COUPLE OF DAYS. THIS SYSTEM HAS A LOW CHANCE...20 PERCENT...OF

BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES

WESTWARD TO WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AT AROUND 15 MPH. REGARDLESS OF

DEVELOPMENT...LOCALLY HEAVY RAINS AND SQUALLS WILL LIKELY AFFECT

PORTIONS OF THE LESSER ANTILLES ON SUNDAY AND MONDAY.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every day we're adding to the no major US landfalls record. Almost 7 years now.

We do not have the record for longest stretch without a major landfalling US hurricane. I keep hearing we broke the record. But we need to go this year and next year to tie the record of 8 consecutive season without a major US landfalling cane(1861-1868)

List of all major landfalls

http://www.hurricanes-blizzards-noreasters.com/Majors.html

1861 season--NO MAJOR

1861_base.gif

1862-- NO MAJOR

1862_base.gif

1863-- NO MAJOR

1863_base.gif

1864-- NO MAJOR

1864_base.gif

1865-- NO MAJOR

1865_base.gif

1866-- NO MAJOR

1866_base.gif

1867-- NO MAJOR

1867_base.gif

1868- NO MAJOR

1868_base.gif

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

800 PM EDT SAT SEP 15 2012

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER IS ISSUING ADVISORIES ON HURRICANE

NADINE...LOCATED ABOUT 980 MILES EAST OF BERMUDA.

AN ELONGATED AREA OF LOW PRESSURE ASSOCIATED WITH A TROPICAL WAVE

LOCATED ABOUT 450 MILES EAST OF THE WINDWARD ISLANDS IS PRODUCING A

LARGE AREA OF CLOUDINESS AND DISORGANIZED SHOWERS AND

THUNDERSTORMS. WHILE UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE CURRENTLY MARGINAL FOR

SIGNIFICANT DEVELOPMENT...THEY COULD BECOME MORE CONDUCIVE IN A

COUPLE OF DAYS. THIS SYSTEM HAS A LOW CHANCE...20 PERCENT...OF

BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES

WESTWARD TO WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AT AROUND 15 MPH. REGARDLESS OF

DEVELOPMENT...LOCALLY HEAVY RAINS AND SQUALLS WILL LIKELY AFFECT

PORTIONS OF THE LESSER ANTILLES ON SUNDAY AND MONDAY.

I saw this and laughed. Its most defiantly a typo, they meant "are not marginal"

If this actually develops, it will be a massive fail for the global models - NOGAPS is the only one that's actually ever shown a persistent closed low coming out of it at all.

Only chance I see is if it's a lee cyclone near Hispanola. Otherwise surface pressure just aren't going to drop.

My biggest disappointment with this season so far is the lack of strong storms. The number of storms is above average with 14 named storms and 8 hurricanes to date, but 4 hurricanes barely reached that intensity (Chris, Ernesto, Isaac, Leslie), with the 4 other hurricanes in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean far away from North America. The long lived storms also didn't have higher ACE as they spent parts of their lifetimes as struggling tropical storms (Ernesto, Isaac, Leslie). So far, the only real impressive hurricane of this season at least in my opinion is Michael as it actually became a major hurricane, only briefly, and persisted as a hurricane for a decent amount of time. As of last night per the Wikipedia ACE stats, Michael and Leslie made up about 40% of this year's ACE; focusing on the other storms this year, for 12 named storms/6 hurricanes, the ACE to date (Nadine still active) would've been 48.2, the lowest for any season since 1950 with over 10 named storms. At least it's better than 2007 when Felix and Dean made up nearly 74% of that year's ACE; focusing on the rest of that season's storms would've left 13 named storms with a total ACE of only about 18-19 or so.

My biggest disappointment with this season so far is the lack of strong storms. The number of storms is above average with 14 named storms and 8 hurricanes to date, but 4 hurricanes barely reached that intensity (Chris, Ernesto, Isaac, Leslie), with the 4 other hurricanes in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean far away from North America. The long lived storms also didn't have higher ACE as they spent parts of their lifetimes as struggling tropical storms (Ernesto, Isaac, Leslie). So far, the only real impressive hurricane of this season at least in my opinion is Michael as it actually became a major hurricane, only briefly, and persisted as a hurricane for a decent amount of time. As of last night per the Wikipedia ACE stats, Michael and Leslie made up about 40% of this year's ACE; focusing on the other storms this year, for 12 named storms/6 hurricanes, the ACE to date (Nadine still active) would've been 48.2, the lowest for any season since 1950 with over 10 named storms. At least it's better than 2007 when Felix and Dean made up nearly 74% of that year's ACE; focusing on the rest of that season's storms would've left 13 named storms with a total ACE of only about 18-19 or so.

But in my opinion it's not better than 2007, as 2007 had two spectacular, intense landfalling cyclones (Dean and Felix), plus a very interesting, fast spinup in the Gulf (Humberto). Those three cyclones alone give me fond memories of 2007.

I don't hate 2012-- Ernie and Isaac were great for me personally, as a chaser. But as a whole, this is simply a crap season-- no two ways about it.

Disclaimer: when judging whether a year is interesting, I don't care about the ACE value or how it's distributed. It's never been an interesting metric to me. For all I care, 90% of a season's ACE can be attributed to one storm-- if it's a mega-awesome storm and chase subject, it's a good season. But that's just me.

But in my opinion it's not better than 2007, as 2007 had two spectacular, intense landfalling cyclones (Dean and Felix), plus a very interesting, fast spinup in the Gulf (Humberto). Those three cyclones alone give me fond memories of 2007.

I don't hate 2012-- Ernie and Isaac were great for me personally, as a chaser. But as a whole, this is simply a crap season-- no two ways about it.

There's many different perspectives to look at how a season went, and I also enjoyed 2007 more than 2012 due to the three storms you mentioned when looking at an individual storm perspective. My post was referring to the seasons as a whole focusing on the intensity/duration of the storms and the ratio of strong to weak storms. In that aspect, 2007 was undoubtedly worse than this year. Although Isaac and Ernesto from what I've seen I would think were decent storms for chasing, Ernesto with its pre-landfall intensification and Isaac with its slow and erratic motion near landfall.

One thing for sure, 92L will not be ramping up anytime soon. The more likely scenario is some development as it passes the Central Caribbean and then is picked up and shear to death by the mid latitude trough dropping S late next week.

post-32-0-76754700-1347804085_thumb.jpg

Something to keep an eye on is how th invest reacts to the upcoming passage of the convectively active phase of an eastward propagating CCKWcurrently responsible for the genesis of Tropical Storm Lane in the East Pacific. I'm a bit skeptical of how the GFS forecast is representing this CCKW, for it immediately dampens the eastward propagating negative VP200 anomalies over East Pacific (indicated by the time-longitde plot of VP200). Just something to keep an eye on... the scenario is staged for another 2010-Karl type genesis.

A comment on SHIPS... SHIPS does not perform well when there isn't a vortex. Also, this is a statistical model, so I'm not sure it will know if the disturbance interacts with land (someone correct me if I'm wrong!).

Something to keep an eye on is how th invest reacts to the upcoming passage of the convectively active phase of an eastward propagating CCKWcurrently responsible for the genesis of Tropical Storm Lane in the East Pacific. I'm a bit skeptical of how the GFS forecast is representing this CCKW, for it immediately dampens the eastward propagating negative VP200 anomalies over East Pacific (indicated by the time-longitde plot of VP200). Just something to keep an eye on... the scenario is staged for another 2010-Karl type genesis.

A comment on SHIPS... SHIPS does not perform well when there isn't a vortex. Also, this is a statistical model, so I'm not sure it will know if the disturbance interacts with land (someone correct me if I'm wrong!).

I think the DSHIPS is supposed to account for land interaction.

I think the DSHIPS is supposed to account for land interaction.

Speaking od Decay SHIPS and land interaction, does DSHIPS "know" the difference between crossing Haiti and crossing the Northern Yucatan? Is there a terrain factor, or is it just a statistical decay for any cyclone of a given strength spending a certain amount of time over any land mass?

Shear is way too strong and too much dry air for that feature to develop in the near term. The more favored area of cyclogenesis would tend to be in the BoC/Western Gulf next week and the SW/Western Caribbean the following week, IMO.

:lol:

BEGIN

NHC_ATCF

invest_al932012.invest

FSTDA

R

U

NONE

NOTIFY=ATRP

END

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS HAVE DEVELOPED OVER THE NORTHWESTERN GULF

OF MEXICO IN ASSOCIATION WITH A WEAK SURFACE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM

LOCATED ABOUT 90 MILES EAST OF BROWNSVILLE TEXAS. SOME GRADUAL

DEVELOPMENT OF THIS DISTURBANCE IS POSSIBLE OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF

DAYS AS IT MOVES NORTHEASTWARD AT 10 TO 15 MPH. THIS SYSTEM HAS A

LOW CHANCE...20 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL OR SUBTROPICAL

CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS. REGARDLESS OF DEVELOPMENT...THIS

SYSTEM COULD PRODUCE PERIODS OF LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL AND GUSTY

WINDS ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE LOUISIANA...MISSISSIPPI...

ALABAMA...AND THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE ON MONDAY AND CONTINUING INTO

TUESDAY.

post-32-0-38671700-1347819877_thumb.jpg

post-32-0-57186400-1347819469_thumb.gif

20% is decent. I guess you can't go wrong with subjective terms like decent.

Your post fits your signature quite well! I enjoy that. I hope the wishcasting doesn't begin, but with this tropical season, I can definitely see why it might.

On another note, the 18Z intensity guidance doesn't suggest anything too impressive.

post-8127-0-45273100-1347829227_thumb.pn

Texas Coastal radars are starting to show some banding developing N of a broad low slowly moving NE about 150 miles SSE of Corpus. While this disturbance will be highly sheared as the upper trough swings E, there remains a chance of some development prior to moving inland Tuesday along the Louisiana Coast.

Archived