• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
August 2012 Obs/Disc

Ellinwood

yeah i was just kinda drooling at that. i think the primary risk zone is perhaps n md into c pa for now. im not confident the area highlighted by sref is not too far north, particularly if there is a secondary lee low of some sort which does seem possible.

I think the big thing to take away from these latest trends is the increased LLJ and better hodos/SRH showing up. Now we actually have potential to produce a few tornadoes somewhere.

The NAM even hints at the threat continuing into the overnight hours in eastern areas.

I think the SPC will definitely bring the SLT a bit NW but hold it for much of the area.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the big thing to take away from these latest trends is the increased LLJ and better hodos/SRH showing up. Now we actually have potential to produce a few tornadoes somewhere.

The NAM even hints at the threat continuing into the overnight hours in eastern areas.

I think the SPC will definitely bring the SLT a bit NW but hold it for much of the area.

Probably should introduce a 30% area somewhere though tors obviously wouldnt be too high but this would account for it on a day 2.

Probably should introduce a 30% area somewhere though tors obviously wouldnt be too high but this would account for it on a day 2.

If the rest of the 00z data follows suit, I could see a 30% area. The exact speed and evolution of the upper low / vertical stack process will determine the NE extent of the SLT risk.

Yeah, that's true. The NAM/SREF is notably stronger with the ULL and sfc low now compared to early runs. Will be interesting to see if the GFS follows at all at least. This might be one of those situations where pattern recognition catches on before the models to some degree... tho it's still fragile so shouldn't get too cocky.

The new 00z NAM and 21z SREF are painting a pretty decent picture FRI PM for a good chunk of PA. The SIG TOR probs came up on the SREF and the NAM is now developing an appreciable LLJ (30-35kts) in PA.

I wish the 850mb winds had more of a westerly component, though. I don't like seeing 925mb and 850mb winds east of due south.

I wish the 850mb winds had more of a westerly component, though. I don't like seeing 925mb and 850mb winds east of due south.

Well if we are going to wish, I'd wish for a ton of other things too. Most of us have been blah on this setup but the fact a 30kt LLJ is beginning to show up is at least a noteworthy trend. Also, winds do veer sufficiently just above 850mb, enough to increase the SRH and subsequent TOR probs.

Let's hope the GFS is more promising...

The location of the 500 low and sfc lows are both pretty classic for a tornado day in the mid Atlantic. I wouldn't expect an outbreak per se but without analyzing every variable I'd be surprised if the models are close and there are no tornadoes anywhere.

Well if we are going to wish, I'd wish for a ton of other things too. Most of us have been blah on this setup but the fact a 30kt LLJ is beginning to show up is at least a noteworthy trend. Also, winds do veer sufficiently just above 850mb, enough to increase the SRH and subsequent TOR probs.

Let's hope the GFS is more promising...

That is true. The GFS also seems to show some 25+kt 925mb winds in the Mid Atlantic region. The directional shear might not be IDEAL in the lower levels, but there is some, and the speed shear in the lower levels looks great.

500mb winds aren't terrible, either. A bit disjointed, which is annoying, but if we can get them to be above 30 knots, that might be just enough to not "kill off" our low-level shear. And the 500mb synoptic pattern is hard to ignore. It has a much better "general look" than most of the threats we've had in the past month.

And they definitely do veer towards the west above 850mb; the 700mb winds are evident of that.

I'm still a bit afraid though that there is TOO much moisture with winds east of due south in the lower levels and a SW flow aloft combined with a weak CAP...I hope that does not lead to just a heavy rain event that occurs before we even get a chance to fully destabilize.

But our LCL heights should be low, too.

GFS soundings show a bit more promise off Earl Barker.. but shear is kinda weak.. 30kts in the 0-6km level

The 0-6km shear is never going to be something that's particularly impressive in this setup given the fact that the 500mb winds are SW as opposed to W or NW, so the directional shear up to that layer is pretty low.

It's the low-level shear, in this setup, that will help produce, and with the increasing LLJ, we might have what we need. We'll see.

...SRN/CNTRL APPALACHIAN REGION THROUGH MID ATLANTIC AND A PORTION

OF NERN STATES...

STORMS WILL LIKELY BE ONGOING ALONG AND JUST AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT

WITHIN WARM CONVEYOR BELT ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE TN AND OH VALLEYS

WITH GREATEST COVERAGE EXPECTED WEST OF THE APPALACHIANS. UPPER 60S

TO NEAR 70 DEWPOINTS WILL RESIDE IN PRE-FRONTAL WARM SECTOR.

DIABATIC WARMING OUTSIDE OF CLOUDY AREAS WILL DESTABILIZE THE

BOUNDARY LAYER...BUT WEAK MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES SHOULD TEMPER

INSTABILITY SOMEWHAT WITH MLCAPE GENERALLY AOB 1500 J/KG. STORMS

SHOULD INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT

DURING THE DAY...LIKELY EVOLVING INTO LINES AND CLUSTERS...THOUGH A

FEW DISCRETE CELLS WILL ALSO POSSIBLE. VERTICAL SHEAR IN MOST OF

WARM SECTOR WILL NOT BE PARTICULARLY STRONG OWING TO THE EQUIVALENT

BAROTROPIC NATURE OF THE UPPER LOW. EXPECTED MARGINAL THERMODYNAMIC

ENVIRONMENT AND MODEST VERTICAL SHEAR COULD SERVE AS POSSIBLE

LIMITING FACTORS FOR A MORE ROBUST SEVERE THREAT.

SOMEWHAT STRONGER DEEP AND LOW LEVEL SHEAR MAY DEVELOP FROM NRN MID

ATLANTIC INTO ERN PORTION OF THE OH VALLEY AND NERN STATES IN

ASSOCIATION WITH A MID LEVEL JET ROTATING THROUGH SERN PERIPHERY OF

THE UPPER LOW. IF SUFFICIENT INSTABILITY DEVELOPS...STORMS MAY

BECOME A BIT MORE ORGANIZED IN THIS REGION WITH POTENTIAL FOR

EMBEDDED MESOCYCLONES AND BOWING SEGMENTS. DAMAGING WIND WILL BE THE

MAIN THREAT...BUT A CONDITIONAL THREAT WILL EXIST FOR A COUPLE OF

TORNADOES.

There was a nice low cloud deck hanging over the river at the Wilson Bridge and a few miles across the bridge in Maryland at around 6:45 this morning. It's pretty cool to get onto the Beltway at the Mixing Bowl on mornings like these and look off to the east to see the low clouds lingering over the river in the distance.

Quietion: Why is it that these low clouds and fog so often stretch well into Maryland, but not on the Virginia side of the river? I would have thought the clouds would stick around over and right next to the river, but it just seems to me that they're often also well east of the river. Just an observation that got me curious...

Look like my first MA chase. God help me.

Wooooooo chasing!

The ratio of luck:skill is a lot higher for tornadoes in the Mid-Atlantic compared to the Plains :P

I need to see if I can stop by Jason's house to borrow the laptop stand. You'll get to do the nav and radar watching from the front seat!

Archived