Ellinwood

hey now

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

557 PM EDT TUE AUG 7 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

EASTERN CHARLES COUNTY IN SOUTHERN MARYLAND...

NORTHERN ST. MARYS COUNTY IN SOUTHERN MARYLAND...

SOUTHEASTERN PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY IN CENTRAL MARYLAND...

WESTERN CALVERT COUNTY IN SOUTHERN MARYLAND...

* UNTIL 630 PM EDT

* AT 556 PM EDT...A CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS REPORTED NEAR HALLOWING

POINT...AND WAS MOVING NORTHWEST AT 5 MPH. THIS TORNADO HAS BEEN

CONFIRMED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT.

First time I've ever had an alert come across my tv. Well, since I've had fios.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ian wins

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

613 PM EDT TUE AUG 7 2012

MDC009-017-033-037-072230-

/O.CON.KLWX.TO.W.0029.000000T0000Z-120807T2230Z/

CHARLES MD-ST. MARYS MD-PRINCE GEORGES MD-CALVERT MD-

613 PM EDT TUE AUG 7 2012

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 630 PM EDT FOR

CALVERT...PRINCE GEORGES...ST. MARYS AND CHARLES COUNTIES...

AT 609 PM EDT...A CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR HALLOWING

POINT...AND WAS MOVING NORTHWEST AT 5 MPH.

THIS TORNADO HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

HALLOWING POINT...

BENEDICT...

GOLDEN BEACH...

TRAINED SPOTTERS AND LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED A WATERSPOUT ON THE

PATUXENT RIVER NEAR THE BENEDICT BRIDGE. THIS WATERSPOUT COULD MOVE

ONSHORE AT ANY TIME

Doug Hill on WTOP did a nice job downplaying it and suggesting that it was a waterspout.

that's good.. i saw twitter accts lighting up with the typical take cover nonsense. i'd like to see a pic. im skeptical. ;)

Well the SWS says trained spotters as well so there must have been something to the report ;)

the updated warning eased the question a bit tho im probably going to always be skeptical around here without photographic proof given how many non tornadoes i saw from june 1.

i need ppls thoughts for friday. im writing something for cwg tonight and i need to know what's going to happen.

Tell everyone that it will be a derecho to end all derecho events. Essentially Dec 2012 coming early. Say your farewells and wish everyone the best.

Then, while all of the CWG lay people followers are horrified and stocking up - we can have a DC gtg and laugh at all the idiots.

im starting to wonder if we're done after this week with any high heat chances.. i'd have to lean toward us getting one more shot even into sept but records cluster so maybe not.

Last year's high heat ended rather abruptly right about now -- with a 95 degree reading at DCA on August 9th. Even the last 90+ day was in August -- on the 26th. In fact, there was quite a difference in 2011 meteorological summer (June 1-August 31) and astronomical summer (June 21-September 23) maximum temperatures at DCA. The former averaged 90.1, placing last year in a virtual tie with the record year of 2010; while the latter averaged only 87.6, placing last year only 16th on the all-time list, 3.5 degrees below the record year of 1980.

Tell everyone that it will be a derecho to end all derecho events. Essentially Dec 2012 coming early. Say your farewells and wish everyone the best.

Then, while all of the CWG lay people followers are horrified and stocking up - we can have a DC gtg and laugh at all the idiots.

I lol'd

early for sref but i actually like it quite a bit for svr forecasting especially if you follow its trends. so far only two runs on friday afternoon but some increase in supercell numbers run to run.. maybe a blip. i'd worry most about cape maybe? it looks like a messy airmass. it's still way out there but i think these types of troughs produce this time of year one way or another (well, in fall? this is a weird aug trough..). it might all be rain rapped crap and in completely random fashion.

hard to say where sfc low will track/where boundaries will be etc at this range.. wast of time to look.

post-1615-0-24290500-1344383703_thumb.gi

post-1615-0-00824900-1344383727_thumb.gi

I am defiantly looking toward Fridays possible Severe Weather Threat!! Storm prediction has tagged us for Friday already. Today felt great and could not complain with what HEAT we have had this summer. 88 Manassas Va today.

I am defiantly looking toward Fridays possible Severe Weather Threat!! Storm prediction has tagged us for Friday already. Today felt great and could not complain with what HEAT we have had this summer. 88 Manassas Va today.

Are you staring it down, daring it to bring all its derechoness and fury?

My boss raised an interesting question about DCA... how are we doing with 75+ lows as far as the record number of days goes?

According to my count, we are currently even with the pace set in what I believe to be the record year of 1980. In 1980, we had 38 total days in which the minimum at DCA was 75+, with 25 such days having occurred as of August 8th. In 2012, we have also now had 25 days with a minimum of 75+, including August 8th (assuming the temperature does not drop below 75 before midnight.) However, in 2010, we were one ahead of the 1980 pace as of August 8th, but finished with only 33 total days of 75+ minimums.

Edited to add: In 2011, we were also one ahead of the 1980 pace as of August 8th, but finished with only 29 total days of 75+ minimums.

SPC Day 3 isn't anything special.

LWX missed it in their discussion or something. Barely a mention - they kind of skip from Thu to Sat.

closed lows are a pain..

spc seemed overly boring tho. segments/batches/low topped sups all seem possible with the airmass/shear.

Maybe we'll see a 30% show up on a later outlook - hoping for excitement but prepared for failure.

models are pretty variable in how much they want to fire stuff up in the area. still pretty early tho.

Archived