Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
July 26, 2012 Severe Weather Potential

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know honestly the writing was on the wall with this about two hours ago judging from the lack of SVR reports outside of the part of the line that was tornado warned for most of the day. Highlight was the Elmira storm and at that point things were looking scary for sure. I wonder if the higher elevations of the Poconos and SW NY had anything to do with this. Hard to figure out what happened with all of the shear and SBCAPE in place.

It poured here. I'd say some gusts as high as 40mph. Lots of lightning and some very close strikes. Best storm Piscataway has had in quite awhile.

Been here 33 years, wasn't that bad at all. Storm I had in bedminster on Monday at work was 10x worse.

Pretty strong wind here, confirming Earthlight's observation. Hope we can keep power through this.

Something blew up just west of here...the TEWR radar went up to like 55-60dbz for a few frames. The winds were insane for about 5 minutes. Lightning struck very close to here...enough to shake the house and light up everything.

Looks like we survived without losing power...and no significant damage. Some large branches down...but didn't hear any severe cracking or downed trees.

You know honestly the writing was on the wall with this about two hours ago judging from the lack of SVR reports outside of the part of the line that was tornado warned for most of the day. Highlight was the Elmira storm and at that point things were looking scary for sure. I wonder if the higher elevations of the Poconos and SW NY had anything to do with this. Hard to figure out what happened with all of the shear and SBCAPE in place.

Storms always weaken as they leave the topographically enhanced mountainous zones of NY's Southern Tier and into Northern PA. The corridor from Elmira-Binghamton is well known for severe, but those storms rarely make it into NYC metro intact. I am quite familiar with these patterns because we live in Westchester but have a second home in the northern Poconos that frequently gets the much more severe storms. I feel that NYC does better when a line forms just west, as in 9/16/2010 when we had the tornadoes and microbursts. We rarely do well on severe storms that form in western PA/NY as they weaken once they leave the mountains.

Total bust here in Dobbs Ferry with some light rain and a few rumbles of thunder. The warnings for 70mph winds and tornadoes were overdone, as expected. It's unusual we have such favorable parameters, so I was getting a bit enthused, but looks like nothing.

Storms always weaken as they leave the topographically enhanced mountainous zones of NY's Southern Tier and into Northern PA. The corridor from Elmira-Binghamton is well known for severe, but those storms rarely make it into NYC metro intact. I am quite familiar with these patterns because we live in Westchester but have a second home in the northern Poconos that frequently gets the much more severe storms. I feel that NYC does better when a line forms just west, as in 9/16/2010 when we had the tornadoes and microbursts. We rarely do well on severe storms that form in western PA/NY as they weaken once they leave the mountains.

Total bust here in Dobbs Ferry with some light rain and a few rumbles of thunder. The warnings for 70mph winds and tornadoes were overdone, as expected. It's unusual we have such favorable parameters, so I was getting a bit enthused, but looks like nothing.

Yeah all in all nothing here as well, the best "action" was head of the actually line, with a few gusts in the 20-30 mph range, with a 2-3 min downpour, now its doing nothing outside, I see a few flashes to my south.

Looks like some enhanced winds (30 mph or so) especially near around Staten Island and the South Shore along with some heavier rain and lightning. Judging by the reports near here with a few exceptions, looks mostly run of the mill, and this hasn't hit the seabreeze yet. There's a reason I very rarely get excited for severe events for Long Island.

Yeah all in all nothing here as well, the best "action" was head of the actually line, with a few gusts in the 20-30 mph range, with a 2-3 min downpour, now its doing nothing outside, I see a few flashes to my south.

We haven't had good storms here in Westchester this summer...The best storm here recently was last August when we had about 3.5" of rain in 2 hours with constant cloud to ground lightning. I can't remember the date but I want to say the 18th. It was after the upper low produced all the heavy rainfall in early August but well before Hurricane Irene. That was an eventful month. This summer will mostly be remembered for a cold beginning to June and a hot, sultry July. If we start to see more troughing in August with El Nino, maybe we can get some cold pool hailers like 08.

Archived