• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Summer update III: SNE region's 4 primary climo sites all remain solidly above normal as of the closing of July 14.

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Medscape....

Thunderstorm Rhinitis

Gary Stadtmauer, MD, Allergy & Clinical Immunology, 08:38AM Jul 8, 2012

She can always tell when it will rain, especially if it will storm with thunder. She could be feeling absolutely fine then rather quickly descend into what she calls her "allergy tornado." It descends upon her and the sneezing fits with copious rhinorrhea commence and persist until they fade gradually after the storm. She has no history of sinus infections and her health is otherwise good. Her nasal endoscopy is normal, turbinates are not hypertrophic and her allergy testing is negative. At her request sinus CT was done (normal). She has not responded to nasal steroids, nasal antihitamines, oral antihistamines or montelukast usually taken after symptoms have started. Nasal saline irrigation gives her brief relief only.

Her diagnosis is vasomotor or non-allergic rhinitis specifically triggered by storm fronts. There is another condition, thunderstorm asthma, which is in part due to allergens swept up by winds. Thunderstorm asthma, has been attributed to Alternaria mold especially if occuring in the fall season but grass pollen is thought to be another trigger. That at least can be amenable to treatment long term with allergy immunotherapy. But for patients who suffer primarily from the effect of low pressure systems, what can be done? Part of the management problem with this patient is that her symptoms are so intermittent that daily medication is not appropriate. Prophylactic medications based on the weather forecast might be her best option.

What would you do?

The bold and large print: Every person reading this bb.

96 at BOS. That may be the high or perhaps 97 in between hours or in the next 30 min.

92 at ORH. That's darn warm.

95 at BDL.

I think there's going to be some late highs as the late sun shines through this arriving 20+C air tongue. ALB popped to 98F last hour and there is enough westerly component not to discount some of that getting down slope altogether.

Brutal down here near NYC with higher dews. 94.1/72 here in Southern Westchester after a high of 95.8F. I just drove home from work in the City and was glad I have a new car with A/C now. This is the first vehicle I've owned where the AC actually functions properly. I've been making it home from City College to Dobbs Ferry in 20 minutes...it actually takes me longer to get from the summer school which I work, located in the North Bronx, to City College, than it does to get from 137th and Amsterdam to Westchester using the West Side Highway. Quick trip.

Brutal down here near NYC with higher dews. 94.1/72 here in Southern Westchester after a high of 95.8F. I just drove home from work in the City and was glad I have a new car with A/C now. This is the first vehicle I've owned where the AC actually functions properly. I've been making it home from City College to Dobbs Ferry in 20 minutes...it actually takes me longer to get from the summer school which I work, located in the North Bronx, to City College, than it does to get from 137th and Amsterdam to Westchester using the West Side Highway. Quick trip.

Congrats Socks..What'd you buy?

Hopefully we can get a strong cat 3 to get up here in August or Sept..sustain that mofo as it rides due north up the CT River Valley

So reminds me of a vintage blizzard22 (same person, precursor to 24) saying that in the WWBB days. Classic!

It's been a hot late afternoon but already back under 90 here

So far this torch featured 5-6 days in the low 90's and one 89

the duration was fairly long, but it was very mild imo as far as heat waves go. We had a break, a few showers, moderate dews, cool lows

Congrats Socks..What'd you buy?

I bought a Mazda2...I probably couldn't have afforded a new car working at a boarding school that only paid 20k/year, but my grandma helped me get a new economy model. I'm really loving it, got the 5 speed which reminds me of my first car, which was a 1991 Mazda Protege stickshift. My dad and I absolutely love Mazdas, great fuel economy and steering accuracy. I started driving into the City because the train was too slow when I got home late at night from work. I'm teaching summer school for 4 weeks in the Bronx and taking Masters courses at City College. In September, I will be teaching 7th grade special education students at Cypress Hills Community School in Brooklyn.

This has been one of the hottest Julys I remember around NYC. Central Park is +4.8F and will jump quite a bit after today and tomorrow. Last July finished +3.7F and July 2010 was +4.8F (which I was away for as I had a summer job in western Montana). I doubt we finish as warm as those months because the upcoming pattern looks to feature more of a western ridge and near normal to slightly below normal temperatures here in the East. But it's been extremely uncomfortable and even in the suburbs, most of my lows have been in the 67-72F range. I usually see at least one July night in the upper 50s here in Westchester, but the lowest I've gotten so far this month is 66.4F...

I think there's going to be some late highs as the late sun shines through this arriving 20+C air tongue. ALB popped to 98F last hour and there is enough westerly component not to discount some of that getting down slope altogether.

BO'S is screaming from a 230 direction. We need a 240 or better.

Archived