• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Summer update II: As of July 10, SNE region's 4 primary climo sites are all solidly above normal nearing mid July

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The boards gone to hell ever since they switched to sub forums. Time to consider moving back to the old way

That would be even worse. Way too many posters to ever get back to the 2007 way of life on the boards.

I will say this...people should not be so quick to react to a situation...especialy at a time when the staff forum was closed for the weekend during the conference. There needs to be a higher level of patience and a lower level of reactionary posts where people say things they will later regret after not knowing the full story.

That would be even worse. Way too many posters to ever get back to the 2007 way of life on the boards.

I will say this...people should not be so quick to react to a situation...especialy at a time when the staff forum was closed for the weekend during the conference. There needs to be a higher level of patience and a lower level of reactionary posts where people say things they will later regret after not knowing the full story.

I don't know . All I know is this place sure isn't what it used to be even 2 years ago.

Who cares? When was the last time anyone from SNE made a non weather post in another forum? Beyond obvious what occurred but seriously who cares.

Another day, another thread in the toity.

Beautiful evening to sit in my tiny little yard grilling salmon

Hey Jerry!

Whats being lost is possibly the best summer in 50 yrs across sne. No torch, just vacation weather basically 24/7

Its been a great summer.

I favored the idea of allowing cross forum threads for wx events. In other words, one could choose to have their thread such as a Noreaster thread appear in more than one sub forum. It keeps the sub forums, but maybe decreases some of the petty regionalism by having more interaction between people. Seems like that should be technically possible.

This impenetrable wall between sub forums (even when a weather event crosses regional lines) is a social experiment gone bad.

I don't know . All I know is this place sure isn't what it used to be even 2 years ago.

So much complaining.

The subforums work. In essence the old format was just subforums contained in an all-in-1 superthread on the main forum. Most of the time when people outside of the region posted in the threads it involved cross-regional trolling. If people from here want to get involved in another event somewhere else in the country all that person needs to do is click into that subforum. The internet and 3g/4g is pretty fast these days so the extra click shouldn't be that difficult.

One idea may be to highlight a thread for an important weather event at the top of the forum that all can see.

As for the degradation of post quality in our own forum, it'd be nice if people made posts without a bias, spin, or an agenda. I had tried to be more lax with the moderating, but sometimes it becomes a sh!tshow in here.

They never worked for this area of ENY. It cut us off from contiguous western New England and thew us in with western NY and PA which don't share much of a climate with us. I do my best to keep an Upstate thread alive, but if I didn't post in NE, I'd be talking to myself all day.

The whole idea is ridiculous because wx of all things doesn't follow political boundaries. That's why I keep saying we should allow people to cross-post certain threads for storms etc. Whats the point in three separate threads (for instance) for the same Noreaster that affects NYC, the Hudson Valley/Capital District, and western Mass....

So much complaining.

The subforums work. In essence the old format was just subforums contained in an all-in-1 superthread on the main forum. Most of the time when people outside of the region posted in the threads it involved cross-regional trolling. If people from here want to get involved in another event somewhere else in the country all that person needs to do is click into that subforum. The internet and 3g/4g is pretty fast these days so the extra click shouldn't be that difficult.

One idea may be to highlight a thread for an important weather event at the top of the forum that all can see.

As for the degradation of post quality in our own forum, it'd be nice if people made posts without a bias, spin, or an agenda. I had tried to be more lax with the moderating, but sometimes it becomes a sh!tshow in here.

So much complaining.

Agreed with everything you said.

I like Pete but sometimes he needs to calm down before going on a tirade about a thread that was moved... make a post asking why it was moved or send a PM.

The subforums are great and have allowed us more OT discussion (things like skiing, lawns, etc) than would ever be allowed on a super-forum with this many users. The degradation in post quality has come from users who post the same thing over and over again to hype or push some torch/bitter cold/epic snow/high dew agenda day after day, hour after hour.

What made this place great was posting about science and being able to learn. If we can get back to those roots and stop the non sense about epic torches when it's 90, sunny beach days when it's cloudy, and oppressive dews when dew points are in the low 60s we'd be in much better shape. Hell, maybe we can get more mets to post and get the ones who do contribute to do so more often.

Agreed with everything you said.

I like Pete but sometimes he needs to calm down before going on a tirade about a thread that was moved... make a post asking why it was moved or send a PM.

The subforums are great and have allowed us more OT discussion (things like skiing, lawns, etc) than would ever be allowed on a super-forum with this many users. The degradation in post quality has come from users who post the same thing over and over again to hype or push some torch/bitter cold/epic snow/high dew agenda day after day, hour after hour.

What made this place great was posting about science and being able to learn. If we can get back to those roots and stop the non sense about epic torches when it's 90, sunny beach days when it's cloudy, and oppressive dews when dew points are in the low 60s we'd be in much better shape. Hell, maybe we can get more mets to post and get the ones who do contribute to do so more often.

Agree, but better moderation would take care of most of these issues...I know it's like playing whack a mole, but still, there is very little in the way of moderation of the weather only thread.

They never worked for this area of ENY. It cut us off from contiguous western New England and thew us in with western NY and PA which don't share much of a climate with us. I do my best to keep an Upstate thread alive, but if I didn't post in NE, I'd be talking to myself all day.

The whole idea is ridiculous because wx of all things doesn't follow political boundaries. That's why I keep saying we should allow people to cross-post certain threads for storms etc. Whats the point in three separate threads (for instance) for the same Noreaster that affects NYC, the Hudson Valley/Capital District, and western Mass....

People can post wherever they want within reason. I'm not going to go posting that I have 20" of snow in the SE forum. We've always accepted your posts here even if we rib you about not being technically in New England. ;)

As for the boundaries...we have to draw their lines somewhere and you're sorta in your own little area in upstate NY, but near WNE. We can't please everyone and I hope those who don't like some of our decisions understand that.

Summer does get more OT than winter easily, mostly because the weather is so boring when we don't have the rare severe thunderstorm outbreak, rare TC, or a monster heatwave (which we don't do very well compared to further south)....moderation is not easy in either season though. Its actually harder in winter even though there is way more active weather discussion.

There always has to be a subjective component to it...balancing a more interactive environment with the storm2k approach. An overwhelming majority of people don't want the latter, and staying away from that is what made EasternUSwx and now American quite successful...however, there is obviously a bad extreme in the other direction that we are always trying to stay away from as well.

Summer does get more OT than winter easily, mostly because the weather is so boring when we don't have the rare severe thunderstorm outbreak, rare TC, or a monster heatwave (which we don't do very well compared to further south)....moderation is not easy in either season though. Its actually harder in winter even though there is way more active weather discussion.

There always has to be a subjective component to it...balancing a more interactive environment with the storm2k approach. An overwhelming majority of people don't want the latter, and staying away from that is what made EasternUSwx and now American quite successful...however, there is obviously a bad extreme in the other direction that we are always trying to stay away from as well.

I wish you would post more, but I understand. New gig going ok?

Loving this rain

It's a sad thought to think we actually need MORE mods in the summertime.

It's hard for me to figure out why the post quality has gone down so much. I feel like we're so far away from science/met sometimes and left with awful bickering about temperatures, subjective verification, and just nonsense. It even happens during the winter. You put out thoughts and numbers... and god forbid a met is off by an inch, or forecasting less than a model shows, and it's post after post berating the person. I have a thick skin and don't really care about that but it makes posting less enjoyable and certainly keeps most mets who browse away from posting.

I think a lot of the problem is many of us know each other for many years...in some cases 10 or more. Banter is going to happen in just about every thread. The art of being a mod i suppose is to determine when to drop the hammer and when not to. Overall I think they do a good job here and certain posters are continuously provocative asking for trouble.

Is there a met association of na? As a golf pro we had the PGA , most professions have an organization to fall back on? I never even thought of falling back on boredom and people that might have thought like I did.

I have said it before and will again, have a thread where pros can talk and discuss

Archived