• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer update II: As of July 10, SNE region's 4 primary climo sites are all solidly above normal nearing mid July

Typhoon Tip

It's hard for me to figure out why the post quality has gone down so much. I feel like we're so far away from science/met sometimes and left with awful bickering about temperatures, subjective verification, and just nonsense. It even happens during the winter. You put out thoughts and numbers... and god forbid a met is off by an inch, or forecasting less than a model shows, and it's post after post berating the person. I have a thick skin and don't really care about that but it makes posting less enjoyable and certainly keeps most mets who browse away from posting.

It is the agenda/spin stuff...that's the main issue. Every single day it is the same exact posts.

You can guess what'll happen tomorrow...we'll see more posts about an epic torch at the ASOS stations, along with incredible humidity in the backyards, followed by Pete saying it's pleasant and nice. Then I'll and a few others will post about how nice Wed-Sat looks.

There are very few posts with actual met discussion because everyone has an agenda and won't deviate from that. It'll always be colder to some and warmer to others...just like in the winter there are posters that constantly say it'll be snowier than whatever the mets/models say.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot of the problem is many of us know each other for many years...in some cases 10 or more. Banter is going to happen in just about every thread. The art of being a mod i suppose is to determine when to drop the hammer and when not to. Overall I think they do a good job here and certain posters are continuously provocative asking for trouble.

There's also a lot more posters than there ever used to be. More chances for personalities to clash. Back in the day from WWBB to about the 2007 days on Eastern, we probably had about half the regular posters we do now...maybe quite a bit less back in the earlier part of that time frame.

We also had DT to take all the battles for himself, lol.

I think a lot of the problem is many of us know each other for many years...in some cases 10 or more. Banter is going to happen in just about every thread. The art of being a mod i suppose is to determine when to drop the hammer and when not to. Overall I think they do a good job here and certain posters are continuously provocative asking for trouble.

I think having some threads for banter whether it's random stuff, skiing, lawns, golf, whatever is good. Keeps that stuff out of the main threads and keeps the stuff isolated for the people who want to discuss it. Builds camaraderie, friendships, and helps teach. The issue I think we have now isn't too much banter it's that the weather threads have turned atrocious. Even in the winter they were bad.

It is the agenda/spin stuff...that's the main issue. Every single day it is the same exact posts.

You can guess what'll happen tomorrow...we'll see more posts about an epic torch at the ASOS stations, along with incredible humidity in the backyards, followed by Pete saying it's pleasant and nice. Then I'll and a few others will post about how nice Wed-Sat looks.

Yup. And it happens in winter too. If we replaced that with science, people asking questions, posting actual thoughts and not spin we'd be in good shape.

I think having some threads for banter whether it's random stuff, skiing, lawns, golf, whatever is good.

Yeah that's the whole point of sub-forums which is why it was so puzzling that the ski thread got moved to off-topic. The point of sub-forums is so we can have more specialized threads.

Moving a ski weather thread to a forum with posts about what members had for lunch or threads like "would you date a poor person?" just doesn't seem to make sense.

I said more or less that on the banter thread.

Those threads act as a valve to allow people to chat about skiing, etc. and keep it out of the dedicated wx threads.

Most people don't want to run over to OT all the time and the net result is gonna be more lawn and ski posts in the wx threads.

I think having some threads for banter whether it's random stuff, skiing, lawns, golf, whatever is good. Keeps that stuff out of the main threads and keeps the stuff isolated for the people who want to discuss it. Builds camaraderie, friendships, and helps teach. The issue I think we have now isn't too much banter it's that the weather threads have turned atrocious. Even in the winter they were bad.

I certainly appreciate the posts from professional mets on this board. But, I do wonder if I had a professional botanist or horiculturalist board, would there be the drama, or bull****? We all cant be pros.............and I guess weather is different, so why not a met only thread where mets can post and we can read.

I just read the thread in off topic, its disgusting.

I never minx words and never will....regarding my sometimes out of touch friend in WC who clearly does not understand climatology and history...............I stand by behind you Peter, no idea what this **** show is about, but that thread is garbage, GARBAGE.

I just read the thread in off topic, its disgusting.

I never minx words and never will....regarding my sometimes out of touch friend in WC who clearly does not understand climatology and history...............I stand by behind you Peter, no idea what this **** show is about, but that thread is garbage, GARBAGE.

Mink.jpg

And Pete lives in a water closet?

I find the OT side to be frequently distasteful and prefer to stay over here.

One reason I'm not thrilled that such a strict constructionist approach seems to be taking hold here and forcing almost all non wx stuff over there. Over there the same threads might get kinda ugly at times.

But at least have a forum that he can respond to, talking **** about somebody in a place that they cant see or respond.............................................is weak.

I find the OT side to be frequently distasteful and prefer to stay over here.

One reason I'm not thrilled that such a strict constructionist approach seems to be taking hold here and forcing almost all non wx stuff over there. Over there the same threads might get kinda ugly at times.

Plus, a thread like a New England (or Florida, or whatever) based OT (legit) thread would get buried and difficult to find.

There are very few posts with actual met discussion because everyone has an agenda and won't deviate from that. It'll always be colder to some and warmer to others...just like in the winter there are posters that constantly say it'll be snowier than whatever the mets/models say.

If it's pleasant and nice why shouldn't I say so?

Archived