Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Northeast Severe/Convective/Thunder thread V

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much what 12z nam shows... "scenario 1" from the Box AFD... the least exciting solution we've seen on the nam yet. Morning MCS stays organized, clears eastern SNE by 10am-noon and all of SNE is dry thereafter.

Not sure I agree with that. Issue is really the forcing and instability in the pm aren't colocated. The shortwave from quebec digs too far east and most of sne is left with subsidence behind the morning MCS

Yeah ugly on the NAM. Looks like some ridging builds in behind the morning MCS and heights actually rise through most of the day. We'll probably remained capped.

It's all about the Quebec s/w.

That's an excellent point and it's probably the most likely scenario for this area too. The upper valley may have the best combination, Greenfield to Bellows Falls or something, where heights could fall again during peak heating, terrain channeling, and sufficient longitude to destabilize.

Looks like it might actually rain here tonight. We haven't had anything appreciable in close to a month.

I know we need the rain, but hate to start cutting grass again.

Today I don't see anything materializing in the SNE area, Tomorrow could be a different animal. I think right now I'd favor central/western areas up into VT and NH for the best storms.

The idea of some tstms overnight across a portion of SNE seems to have legs.

Looking up stream... northern Wisconsin over to the northern Penn of Michigan got smacked around pretty good by derecho like convection. I geeked out over it for over an hour last night - some really amazing rad returns in that area, both in and surrounding the primary convective complex.

As the old index finger rule goes, Michigan action tends to show here the next day.

Currently there is a large debris field in the mid and upper levels over the GL and southern Ontario... There may be decaying outflow boundaries amid that flotsam that could serve as triggers for new activity. The general environment is pleasing to the notion, in having SW in the 850mb riding up underneath west or even WNW middle troposphere flow. That geostrophic turning with altitude when it collocates with continental temperature gradient is inherently a powder-keg.

Thing is... it almost looks less MCS and more just baroclinically driven in the way the NAM's QPF distribution initiates things up near of just NE of Lake Superior. eh...what of it - just about every event in weather is some how interchangeably comparable to others.

Overnight/morning convection kills everything?

It's a number of issues including timing, poor lapse rates, subsidence, location of Quebec s/w, crappy shear, veered (NW) boundary layer winds).

Pretty much every imaginable fail is failed for tomorrow.

It's a number of issues including timing, poor lapse rates, subsidence, location of Quebec s/w, crappy shear, veered (NW) boundary layer winds).

Normal severe weather issues for SNE. :axe: I suppose we were spoiled from last year's tornado outbreak. Although you guys in CT did well on Sunday with the supercell.

Normal severe weather issues for SNE. :axe: I suppose we were spoiled from last year's tornado outbreak. Although you guys in CT did well on Sunday with the supercell.

Actually most of these aren't normal issues for SNE. This event just sucks.

:lol:

NAM is pretty ugly. GFS not quite as horrendous but still not great.

maybe a couple of isolated cells across the interior during the afternoon? perhaps focused more over N of the pike pts N and E?

:lol:

NAM is pretty ugly. GFS not quite as horrendous but still not great.

maybe a couple of isolated cells across the interior during the afternoon? perhaps focused more over N of the pike pts N and E?

Yeah I could see that. It's one of those events where every single parameter has gone to crap... timing, etc etc etc.

Oh well.

Nice EML on Friday but we will be super capped.

Yeah I could see that. It's one of those events where every single parameter has gone to crap... timing, etc etc etc.

Oh well.

Nice EML on Friday but we will be super capped.

until overnight? Euro doesn't want to quite do it...but the cold front/shortwave dropping from the northwest could provide enough lift to break it.

There's some weenie dewpoint pooling over NYS on Friday evening...but yeah NE stays kinda dry until early morning. I think there could be an MCS generating upstream over Lake Superior moving SE.

Yeah didn't really look outside of New England... but it is a beautiful looking EML.

Wonder if I'll see a few Tor's up here in the Whites tomorrow?

yes most likely you will see at least a couple lol

ill be up in milton,nh wednesday then n conway /jackson area thursday.

bliz you should check out this area called "dana's bath" it a short flat hike/walk and then the water and the falls are gorgeous ....swimmable even. and also arethusula falls a bit further w on the 302 ...bout 10 mins past attitash is another beautiful spot. more of a hike....mile or so to get to but lovely. also catherdral ledge (can be driven up ) is quite a site and i hope you grab breakfast at that nice lil spot just past the covered bridge in jackson.

I have been there like 7 times since last fall. If u were in better shape I'd hike washington w u on thurz

Archived