• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
It Really Was a Heat Wave II (unless it wasn't, in which case it was weak sauce)- - Obs and Disco Late June/Early July 2012

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New EC has a cold fropa next Wed for the region with a cooler day Thursday. It still looks like a series of hot shots followed by weak cold fronts to me. The EC ens are a little warmer, but have the same general idea. It is continuing to retrograde the ridge into the Rockies past d10 giving us more troughing, but in this pattern it probably only means cooldowns to near normal amidst any heat plumes that sneak in.

I agree Brian, sounds like pretty normal summer stuff. However, would not be surprised at all to see a couple 2-4 day periods in July that roast with the ridge to our west, I think eventually it shifts east.

I'm reading the book, "In the Garden of Beasts" by Eric Larson. If any of you read Isaac's Storm he's the author of that as well. It is about the first US Ambassador to Germany after Hitler became Chancellor. Many interesting and indeed depressing things in the book but I can't help marvel over the similarity of the weather. Larson describes historic heatwaves in the 1930s which effected Europe AND the USA. 1936-7 and 2011-12.....the 2 biggest snow dead ratters. Extremely hot summers and one frigid winter...the coldest of the century in our neck of the woods.

I'm reading the book, "In the Garden of Beasts" by Eric Larson. If any of you read Isaac's Storm he's the author of that as well. It is about the first US Ambassador to Germany after Hitler became Chancellor. Many interesting and indeed depressing things in the book but I can't help marvel over the similarity of the weather. Larson describes historic heatwaves in the 1930s which effected Europe AND the USA. 1936-7 and 2011-12.....the 2 biggest snow dead ratters. Extremely hot summers and one frigid winter...the coldest of the century in our neck of the woods.

Next up, dust bowl

yeah, makes a lot of sense. 96-97 is what they are registering upstream in the source region. It's the DPs I'm interested in..

I have noticed this, too, about the NAM getting zealous with the 850mb temperatures 60 hours out.

Yeah...there is a plume of high dews over Iowa and pooling eastward into MI.

dewp.us-large.png

Looks like the high dews are north of a sfc axis of dilatation in the region with the really hot temps and low dews south of that boundary.

f06.gif

Yeah...there is a plume of high dews over Iowa and pooling eastward into MI.

dewp.us-large.png

Looks like the high dews are north of a sfc axis of dilatation in the region with the really hot temps and low dews south of that boundary.

I don't know what's worse 106/63, or 97/75

Fascinating plume of DP - I was reading once a Met paper about the effects of concentrated mid west agriculture on theta-e distribution. That almost looks like a pool resulting from crop-based evapotranspiration.

Eric Larson also wrote the Devil in the White City (also great), and one about Marconi (I forget the title). The book you are reading is next on my "to read" list after I finish this Stephen King monster...

That would be interesting if we had a mega cold winter after this past year...

I don't know what's worse 106/63, or 97/75

Fascinating plume of DP - I was reading once a Met paper about the effects of concentrated mid west agriculture on theta-e distribution. That almost looks like a pool resulting from crop-based evapotranspiration.

I can almost guarantee that some of that dew point pool is crop based. This is when growth really starts to take off, especially the month of July.

Eric Larson also wrote the Devil in the White City (also great), and one about Marconi (I forget the title). The book you are reading is next on my "to read" list after I finish this Stephen King monster...

I'm almost finished with my sci -fi novel, Dominia

Yeah, I read "Isaac's Storm". One of my favorite passages was when the kids were playing in the water as the waves began crashing up on to the streets.

Really sharp Td gradient tomorrow morning W-E across the OH Valley along that wind shift.

f15.gif

To answer Tip...I think I'd take the 105/55 over 97/75. At least I can block the sun out of the house during the day and cool it off inside at night with window fans assuming we radiate into the 60s with the lower dews.

I read Devil in the White City...the first of his books I read...probably 10-15 years ago? I think I was in South Africa whlie reading it.

The climate parallel is eerie though from the 30s to now. The warmth is more persistent now for probably reasons that shouldn't be discussed in this particular forum or thread but the overall pattern was the same in many ways.

Based on now-cast alone ... it would appear there is a chance that the shave back on highs for Friday may turn out to be a mistake. Flint Michigan ob:

16:53 W 15 10.00 A Few Clouds FEW075 99 71 41% NA

That's our air mass source for tomorrow.

Based on now-cast alone ... it would appear there is a chance that the shave back on highs for Friday may turn out to be a mistake. Flint Michigan ob:

They have 24C 850s overhead right now...we're not getting that warm aloft.

Yeah, I'm out by the Ypsilanti, MI (Willow Run) airport. Their 5PM official observation was 105/71, bringing a heat index of 115. It's brutal. :(

Ryan has 5 of the next 7 days at 90 or above ..How can you ask for anything more than that?

We are going to use your wishing for heat as a scapegoat this winter if it's warm and rainy.

I can picture this post in January..."Ryan has 5 of the next 7 days at 50F or higher...what more can we ask for."

We are going to use your wishing for heat as a scapegoat this winter if it's warm and rainy.

I can picture this post in January..."Ryan has 5 of the next 7 days at 50F or higher...what more can we ask for."

I look forward to talking about any potential rain event in January, just because it will make Kevin cry.

Archived