• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
It Really Was a Heat Wave II (unless it wasn't, in which case it was weak sauce)- - Obs and Disco Late June/Early July 2012

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Careful....I tried to rib Ski MRG the other day by calling him daft and he drew up a character assassination tableau over it...geesh.

Let's be real here TT. You're "ribbing" had a hard edge, you called me an idiot and told me to stfu. I can't be blamed for returning your opening salvo with a withering counter strike. Overwhelming force seems like a good doctrine to me.

There is no better band than Kiss. old school Kiss rocks your jox and your cox off

Kiss is quite possibly the most embarrassing band to come out of the 70's/80's. Poor musicianship and complete azzes. Bumblegum rock for the simple minded.

Let's be real here TT. You're "ribbing" had a hard edge, you called me an idiot and told me to stfu. I can't be blamed for returning your opening salvo with a withering counter strike. Overwhelming force seems like a good doctrine to me.

Kiss is quite possibly the most embarrassing band to come out of the 70's/80's. Poor musicianship and complete azzes. Bumblegum rock for the simple minded.

Nah, that part's added - but stfu anyway. ahahhahahahahaha

j/k

no, I explained that I thought you were someone else - I don't think you saw that apology. Oh well.

Completely lifted their act from the New York Dolls and although the Dolls were not great musicians (despite their passion and Johnny Thunders enchantingly gritty guitar riffs) they were at least original for the period and inspired the pioneers of the British punk rock scene. Although I'm a conservative and discerning fan of the genre the Punk movement saved Rock & Roll in the 70's.

Is there a quick and dirty way to roughly convert temps at certain heights (pressures) to sea level equivalents?

(in other words, what does this equate to and how can a newbie do it?)

TIA

Well if you were to mix air down to the surface from that level dry adiabatically it would be about 42-43C there (108-110F) which isn't too far from what some locations actually reported in MO/IL/IN.

Completely lifted their act from the New York Dolls and although the Dolls were not great musicians (despite their passion and Johnny Thunders enchantingly gritty guitar riffs) they were at least original for the period and inspired the pioneers of the British punk rock scene. Although I'm a conservative and discerning fan of the genre the Punk movement saved Rock & Roll in the 70's.

In fact kiss took their name from the New York Dolls song "Looking for a Kiss".

Kiss' "I want to rock and roll (all night)" is the epitomy of an unoriginal and trite effort to get a hit single. It worked unfortunately.

Is there a quick and dirty way to roughly convert temps at certain heights (pressures) to sea level equivalents?

(in other words, what does this equate to and how can a newbie do it?)

TIA

On a skew-t log-p diagram like this:

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/gen_uacalplt.cgi?id=KGYX&pl=skewt&cu=la&pt=parcel&size=640x480

The x-axis is increasing temperature in degC and the y-axis is decreasing pressure in mb on a logarithmic scale. The temps at the bottom "skew" up and to the right (gold contours). The pressure levels run horizontally across (other gold contours). Without getting too technical, dry adiabats are lines of constant potential temperature. The dry adiabatic lapse rate is about 10C/1000m...so if you bring a parcel of air down 1000m that parcel will warm 10C. On the skew-t they are the last set of gold lines that run up and to the left from the bottom.

If you want to see what the sfc air temp would be by mixing the air up to a certain level you just find where the sounding isotherm crosses with your desired pressure level. From that spot move down dry adiabatically to the sfc.

You can also find maps and sounding text data that give you potential temperatures at various levels. Those values are temps of parcels brought down to 1000mb from various levels.H

Hope that somewhat made sense...lol.

On a skew-t log-p diagram like this:

http://vortex.plymou...el&size=640x480

The x-axis is increasing temperature in degC and the y-axis is decreasing pressure in mb on a logarithmic scale. The temps at the bottom "skew" up and to the right (gold contours). The pressure levels run horizontally across (other gold contours). Without getting too technical, dry adiabats are lines of constant potential temperature. The dry adiabatic lapse rate is about 10C/1000m...so if you bring a parcel of air down 1000m that parcel will warm 10C. On the skew-t they are the last set of gold lines that run up and to the left from the bottom.

If you want to see what the sfc air temp would be by mixing the air up to a certain level you just find where the sounding isotherm crosses with your desired pressure level. From that spot move down dry adiabatically to the sfc.

You can also find maps and sounding text data that give you potential temperatures at various levels. Those values are temps of parcels brought down to 1000mb from various levels.H

Hope that somewhat made sense...lol.

Thanks, Brian.

That did make sense.

I just turned on the front porch lights and let the dog out to take care of things. When he was ready to come back in there was the largest moth I have ever seen bashing into the lights. Easily 6" wingspan. It was not one of the green luna moths I have seen before, Larger (across), brown, friggin huge.

Scared to let it into my house...

looked a bit like this:

moth_t470.jpg?84974f3f373deb0dda0f75a22ddd9b7d3a332b26

I just turned on the front porch lights and let the dog out to take care of things. When he was ready to come back in there was the largest moth I have ever seen bashing into the lights. Easily 6" wingspan. It was not one of the green luna moths I have seen before, Larger (across), brown, friggin huge.

Scared to let it into my house...

looked a bit like this:

moth_t470.jpg?84974f3f373deb0dda0f75a22ddd9b7d3a332b26

Jezuz, that's like a moth out of a Pink Floyd video.

Could it have been a Dobson Fly? They have been working their way further north in the past 10 years.

July 8-15, 2012 Thoughts:

With the exception of the West Coast, warmth is likely to predominate across North America.

The charts below are as follows:

Left: The composite temperature anomalies for ENSO Region 3.4 anomalies of +0.20°C to +0.80°C, a PNA of -0.50 to +0.50, and an AO of -0.50 to +0.50 for North America.

Right: NAEFS (July 6-12, 2012 forecast)

July8to152012.jpg

Given the teleconnection analogs, guidance, and observed decadal trend in temperatures, I believe the July 8-15 period will likely feature the following conditions:

- Central Plains, Great Lakes region and Southeastern States: Possibly much above normal readings.

- West Coast: Near normal to perhaps a little cooler than normal

- Remainder of North America: Warmer than normal.

It should be noted that 2002 remained prominent in the weekly analog pool. At the same time, 2009, which had been fading, was not present. Among the analog years were 1953, 1963, 1966, 1991, 2002, and 2005. All of those years experienced heat in late June (currently ongoing) and also a period of intense heat during the last 7-10 days of July. Hence, even as the warmth could ease for a time, the month could end on another warm note, particularly in the eastern third to eastern half of the U.S. and parts of southern Canada.

The beat goes on and on and on

Archived