Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Alberto

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Audrey was big ticket. Alicia, barely a Cat 3 but was HGX area's last major, way, way back in 1983.

I know that the official meteorological definition of a major is a Category 3 - 5 Hurricane, but I would propose that Ike (2008) was a major hurricane in it's own right, storm surge. I know it wasn't an official major and that you're technically correct, but Ike was a big ole' B.

I know that the official meteorological definition of a major is a Category 3 - 5 Hurricane, but I would propose that Ike (2008) was a major hurricane in it's own right, storm surge. I know it wasn't an official major and that you're technically correct, but Ike was a big ole' B.

The SS scale is explicitly a wind scale now, and from a wind perspective, Ike was definitely not deserving of anything higher than a Cat-2 rating. It was another one of those enormous, loose circulations that just never had a real core and a good gradient. I was in it, and I remember the wind field was very flat-- it was hours and hours and hours of 50-65-kt winds.

agree with David, Ike's devastation was hell on earth for millions, the fact it happened at the begining of "the crash" made it's economic effects much worse, imho http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hurricanes/archives/2008/h2008_ike.html

here & now, Alberto's just a pup, but fun to track/watch http://www.hurricanecity.com/models/data.cgi?basin=al&year=2012&storm=01

agree with David, Ike's devastation was hell on earth for millions, the fact it happened at the begining of "the crash" made it's economic effects much worse, imho http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hurricanes/archives/2008/h2008_ike.html

here & now, Alberto's just a pup, but fun to track/watch http://www.hurricanecity.com/models/data.cgi?basin=al&year=2012&storm=01

din't see an obs thread, but Hilton Head just got an hour of mod to heavy rain out of that bright blob. Breezy conditions with winds to 10-15 mph.

We should start naming MCVs in the Plains.

Actual TS Allison here wasn't so bad, it was the post-tropical MCV that came back through that dropped 2 inches/hr plus at my house for eight hours... This close to flooding the house. But if we didn't flood then, we probably never will.

storm surge is also a function of coastline, so if you included that in the classificaton scheme, you'd be introducing luck into the results.

Bingo. Couldn't have said it better or more concisely.

agree with David, Ike's devastation was hell on earth for millions, the fact it happened at the begining of "the crash" made it's economic effects much worse, imho http://www.nasa.gov/.../h2008_ike.html

But an intensity scale isn't a measure of damage, a reflection of the number of people affected, a misery index, or anything else. It is an intensity scale-- and Ike was not an intense hurricane.

All these joke posts are detrimental to the thread. This system has met all the requirements to be considered a TC for over 24 hours now. If someone has a real reason otherwise they should post it instead of saying "lolz, MCV".

Anyways, NHC has a handful as far as the track forecast goes. It's been going steadily towards the SW and doesn't want to turn, despite the NHC forecast of it turning NE. I wouldn't be that shocked if it made landfall around the FL/GA area, but it'll be weak regardless.

All these joke posts are detrimental to the thread. This system has met all the requirements to be considered a TC for over 24 hours now. If someone has a real reason otherwise they should post it instead of saying "lolz, MCV".

Anyways, NHC has a handful as far as the track forecast goes. It's been going steadily towards the SW and doesn't want to turn, despite the NHC forecast of it turning NE. I wouldn't be that shocked if it made landfall around the FL/GA area, but it'll be weak regardless.

Totally agree.

Impressive convection fired over/just to the SW of the center in the last few hours. Be interesting to see if it turns now that it has some structure above it.

Product: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)

Transmitted: 20th day of the month at 19:09Z

Aircraft: Air Force Aircraft (Last 3 digits of the tail number are 302)

Storm Number & Year: 01L in 2012

Storm Name: Alberto (flight in the North Atlantic basin)

Mission Number: 1

Observation Number: 02

A. Time of Center Fix: 20th day of the month at 18:46:40Z

B. Center Fix Coordinates: 31°03'N 80°01'W (31.05N 80.0167W) (View map)

B. Center Fix Location: 88 miles (141 km) to the E (95°) from Brunswick, GA, USA.

C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 1,455m (4,774ft) at 850mb

D. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind: 45kts (~ 51.8mph)

E. Location of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind: 8 nautical miles (9 statute miles) to the WSW (241°) of center fix

F. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 332° at 30kts (From the NNW at ~ 34.5mph)

G. Location of Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 8 nautical miles (9 statute miles) to the WSW (240°) of center fix

H. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 1005mb (29.68 inHg)

I. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 13°C (55°F) at a pressure alt. of 1,524m (5,000ft)

J. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 19°C (66°F) at a pressure alt. of 1,525m (5,003ft)

K. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 9°C (48°F)

K. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available

L. Eye Character: Not Available

M. Eye Shape: Not Available

N. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind, Pressure and Temperature

N. Fix Levels (sfc and flt lvl centers are within 5nm of each other): Surface and 850mb

O. Navigation Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles

O. Meteorological Accuracy: 1 nautical mile

Remarks Section:

Maximum Wind Outbound: 35kts (~ 40.3mph) in the southwest quadrant at 18:55:20Z

Maximum Flight Level Wind: 35kts (~ 40.3mph) in the southwest quadrant at 18:55:20Z

Come on, you know that if NHC didn't name it there would be just as many people complaining.

:lol: Don't take it so serious. It was a half-hearted joke on its presentation.

Product: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)

Transmitted: 20th day of the month at 19:09Z

Aircraft: Air Force Aircraft (Last 3 digits of the tail number are 302)

Storm Number & Year: 01L in 2012

Storm Name: Alberto (flight in the North Atlantic basin)

Mission Number: 1

Observation Number: 02

A. Time of Center Fix: 20th day of the month at 18:46:40Z

B. Center Fix Coordinates: 31°03'N 80°01'W (31.05N 80.0167W) (View map)

B. Center Fix Location: 88 miles (141 km) to the E (95°) from Brunswick, GA, USA.

C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 1,455m (4,774ft) at 850mb

D. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind: 45kts (~ 51.8mph)

E. Location of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind: 8 nautical miles (9 statute miles) to the WSW (241°) of center fix

F. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 332° at 30kts (From the NNW at ~ 34.5mph)

G. Location of Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 8 nautical miles (9 statute miles) to the WSW (240°) of center fix

H. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 1005mb (29.68 inHg)

I. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 13°C (55°F) at a pressure alt. of 1,524m (5,000ft)

J. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 19°C (66°F) at a pressure alt. of 1,525m (5,003ft)

K. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 9°C (48°F)

K. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available

L. Eye Character: Not Available

M. Eye Shape: Not Available

N. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind, Pressure and Temperature

N. Fix Levels (sfc and flt lvl centers are within 5nm of each other): Surface and 850mb

O. Navigation Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles

O. Meteorological Accuracy: 1 nautical mile

Remarks Section:

Maximum Wind Outbound: 35kts (~ 40.3mph) in the southwest quadrant at 18:55:20Z

Maximum Flight Level Wind: 35kts (~ 40.3mph) in the southwest quadrant at 18:55:20Z

Nice, is what it is....not a bad TS for May off the SE coast.

Archived