Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Alberto

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time sensitive. Watching the visible satellite loop here:

http://www.aviationw...tiple&itype=vis

Does any one else see the arc/semi-circle that moves through the clouds from the southeast to the northwest in the eastern half of the images? It's especially noticeable moving over the eastern part of N. Carolina but if you watch carefully it looks it is a full semi-circle and even looks like it impinges on the northeast side of Alberto.

Gravity wave??

Time sensitive. Watching the visible satellite loop here:

http://www.aviationw...tiple&itype=vis

Does any one else see the arc/semi-circle that moves through the clouds from the southeast to the northwest in the eastern half of the images? It's especially noticeable moving over the eastern part of N. Carolina but if you watch carefully it looks it is a full semi-circle and even looks like it impinges on the northeast side of Alberto.

Gravity wave??

It's hard to tell what you're talking about with an image that zoomed out. It's usually an outflow boundary when you see thick, asymmetyric single- or double-wave cloud patterns, especially when emiating from earlier convection. Gravity waves are generally associated with a cloud pattern with 3+ equally-spaced, almost symmetric waves, particularly before convective initiation. I only see outflow boundaries here unless I'm missing something.

It's hard to tell what you're talking about with an image that zoomed out. It's usually an outflow boundary when you see thick, asymmetyric single- or double-wave cloud patterns, especially when emiating from earlier convection. Gravity waves are generally associated with a cloud pattern with 3+ equally-spaced, almost symmetric waves, particularly before convective initiation. I only see outflow boundaries here unless I'm missing something.

I see the outflow boundary from the T-storm on the Virginia - N. Carolina border. This was a much larger effect. I don't know how to make the animation go back in time or if it's available somewhere else...but I grabbed one screen from it and added an approximate arc where I was seeing it. Much easier to see it in motion.

post-847-0-91139200-1337547259_thumb.jpg

Nice catch on that arc, whatever it is. It's still visible on the WeatherTAP visible loop, and now arcs from the Tidewater area of VA down into SC. (don't know how to save the loop from there :( ) If it was an outflow, we didn't have anything noticible here in the area SE of Raleigh.

One thing I noticed from here to GA is the number of buoys out of operation. Not good. partially due to the big gale in October 2011, but still it leaves a big gap in wave data/wind data to our south.

Storm is making the arc now. Still very cool to see so early in the year. Hopefully this isn't like last years snow season this freak early event is it.

Still TS Alberto at 5... and I didn't know yachts helped NHC

DATA FROM AN AIR FORCE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT CONFIRM THAT

ALBERTO IS STILL A TROPICAL STORM. MAXIMUM SFMR-OBSERVED SURFACE

WINDS WERE 37 KT AND PEAK 1000 FT FLIGHT-LEVEL WINDS WERE 39 KT. IT

SHOULD ALSO BE NOTED THAT SEVERAL YACHTS FROM THE VOLVO OCEAN RACE

HAVE BEEN SAILING NOT FAR FROM...OR THROUGH...THE CENTER OF

ALBERTO...AND HAVE ALSO MEASURED WINDS OF TROPICAL STORM FORCE.

ONE OF THE YACHTS MEASURED A PRESSURE VERY CLOSE TO THE ESTIMATED

CENTRAL PRESSURE OF THE STORM.

Archived