12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
May 17th - 21st Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eventful day on this end. We went out to Salina and ended up on the Ellsworth County storm and followed it to Ottawa County. Got back to Salina for the storm this evening and followed that to Abilene. Saw my first ever golf ball sized hail from the Ellsworth storm into Saline County. Some of the stones were easily approaching larger than golf balls. Very cool stuff.

Latest GFS looks interesting to me on Wednesday and Thursday for MN, IA, and WI. Instability looks not good though. What exactly is preventing a decent severe threat at this time?

Tuesday looks potentially interesting given some significant caveats. Big differences on the placement of the warm front...and the associated height falls/low level mass convergence. 12z NAM/00z ECMWF have the synoptic warm front clear into southern Canada with capping all day in the warm sector. We will see...the GFS has some potential for a northern plains chase.

Considering we had rather limited moisture yesterday, and we still had some rather impressive things happen (the Harper tornado), Wednesday doesn't look too bad given a few things fall into place. There is a solid amount of deep layer and low level shear placed around the Upper MS Valley, where the cap appears most breakable (Eastern MN, WI, etc.) with this incoming wave, and it wouldn't take a ton of instability to get something going should the moisture arrive in time (and not mix before convection fires).

(This is based off of primarily the GFS verbatim, btw)

And also on the + side, the 12z GFS now does eventually eject the second wave later in the week...

Was just going to mention this... let's hope this is the beginning of a trend. Would probably yield a respectable event next weekend, although verbatim there are moisture issues, likely related to the upper low from Hell parked off the Carolina coast.

Is it just me or are terrible tornado setup days, become good, and good tornado setup days become crappy ones? (With the exception of the high risk days)

It's aonly the days I'm not following when there's some action. Aparently a watched pot never boils this year.

That looks more than EF3 BTW. I'm guessing it's a 4

It's aonly the days I'm not following when there's some action. Aparently a watched pot never boils this year.

That looks more than EF3 BTW. I'm guessing it's a 4

Really hard to judge with this video. I can't tell what kind of structure that was. If it was a barn, i'd say EF2. If that was a house with poor anchoring I'd say EF3. It would have to be a well built house for that to be EF4.

Really hard to judge with this video. I can't tell what kind of structure that was. If it was a barn, i'd say EF2. If that was a house with poor anchoring I'd say EF3. It would have to be a well built house for that to be EF4.

I doubt that was just a barn in that video.

And also on the + side, the 12z GFS now does eventually eject the second wave later in the week...

Was just going to mention this... let's hope this is the beginning of a trend. Would probably yield a respectable event next weekend, although verbatim there are moisture issues, likely related to the upper low from Hell parked off the Carolina coast.

FWIW, the CMC also does. I have noticed that the lead wave breaking off the trough day 4-6 and tracking through the Great Lakes is substantially more progressive and stronger...and it really flattens out the death ridge...which augments the advection patterns ahead of the secondary trough.

Some select photos from our central Kansas trip yesterday. First time seeing supercell structures and large hail. Sorry if the pics are a little big. I tried to compress them as many times as possible down to about 600kb. My camera takes 4MB+ pictures.

20 miles east of the supercell over Ellsworth that was producing ping pong ball size hail at the time.

ksc04.png

This was under the supercell over NE Ellsworth County as it was recycling between warnings.

ksc07.png

Here is the first hail stone larger than a marble I have ever seen, and that marble was one of maybe three I saw in a storm five or so years ago in Waterloo, ON.

ksc15.png

There is a golf ball on the road bottom right. I got so excited I forgot to take more pictures. The hail was outstanding. Bravo! This was near Glendale where that 1.75" hail was officially reported.

ksc16.png

This is the storm coming into Salina. We only had rain at our location, but NE of us the radio said nickel sized hail was reported on the north side of Salina.

ksc18.png

And this is the Salina storm over Ottawa County.

ksc24.png

And this is the new storm that formed south of the original Salina storm. At this time it was producing golf ball sized hail over Abilene.

ksc30.png

What was up with that Bastardi comment...

Moderate to major tornado outbreak this far out?

Is he trying to become the laughing stock of the weather world again?

It's plausible, but I bet ya it's more that he makes crazy statements solely to get hits/subscribers. Pay no attention to the man... he's insane and has zero credibility within the field of meteorology.

The sad thing is he's dragged his son Garret into it, and Garret's just as bad if not worse than JB.

The setup for Wed-Fri and the second weekend threat aren't exactly looking like gangbusters right now, but I'm sure they'll produce something just about every day.

If he is right, let's hope it's later in the week so Ian doesn't miss it

im already counting the ones yesteday as ones i would have seen if not for tokyo. damn you tokyo!

What was up with that Bastardi comment...

Moderate to major tornado outbreak this far out?

Is he trying to become the laughing stock of the weather world again?

Yes he's doing what he always does and always will do. Now don't mention his name again.

Northern Plains still looking like some stuff could happen 24-25. Moisture and instability look questionable though at best, so i'm assuming (hoping) it's just underdone for now. Usually not a "glass half full" kinda guy, but it's getting kinda desperate. Unless something happens soon, we might have a May without a single major event.

Archived