joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 17th - 21st Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's fine for chasecationers, just disappointing for those of us trying to pick our battles day-by-day and living south of I-70. ;)

yeah i can hear that.. tho eventually something should kick out i'd think even in the uber ridge scenario. plus you get to see storms all the time. ;)

the euro is not terribly amazing tho still argues for high plains type of stuff etc. people might want to consider dialing back the series of tornado outbreaks talk elsewhere.

Hodograph in Southeast Kansas on from 12Z GFS at 132 Hours... Pretty Impressive, this is in an area with 2500+ CAPE, it would be pretty nice to see this verify (even though it won't).

Parameters are meaningless if it's not going to rain.

Big effin cap in place where you grabbed that hodo from. If it does verify, you're still not going to see anything. On top of that, while having a good curvature, the upper-level winds are a bit lacking on the speed.

Parameters are meaningless if it's not going to rain.

Big effin cap in place where you grabbed that hodo from. If it does verify, you're still not going to see anything. On top of that, while having a good curvature, the upper-level winds are a bit lacking on the speed.

I did say it probably wasn't going to verify... Mainly because of the Cap... and also, you don't necessarily need great Upper-Level Winds to have a Sub-Regional Small-Scale Outbreak...

I did say it probably wasn't going to verify... Mainly because of the Cap... and also, you don't necessarily need great Upper-Level Winds to have a Sub-Regional Small-Scale Outbreak...

The atmosphere could very well verify... verify in that it will do exactly what the model is showing and not rain. I don't see why you're bothering looking at the parameters of an area that's not forecast to be anywhere close to getting precipitation.

I'm well aware that you don't need great upper-level winds for tornadoes, I'm just discussing some of the flaws of the atmosphere... beyond the hideously-large cap, that is.

I don't even know why you decided to post that hodo in the first place. It's irrelevant if there aren't going to be any storms.

the euro is not terribly amazing tho still argues for high plains type of stuff etc. people might want to consider dialing back the series of tornado outbreaks talk elsewhere.

Was a bit better than the 00z run, IMO, at least.

No you don't, but they help. And he is right...pulling soundings from just anywhere is useless if nothing is going to happen there.

Was a bit better than the 00z run, IMO, at least.

Personally I am not sure why everyone was getting so amped up to begin with, never looked spectacular. SW flow is always a cause for concern in any setup. I agree with David R...there will be severe days in there, there is no doubt. It is just going to be more localized and highly dependent upon much smaller scale perturbations that are impossible to forecast at this juncture. It is nice to see an uptick in the flow pattern, but I doubt there will be anything spectacular or outrageous. Still...nice to see a return of weather overall. At least something will be happening in the plains.

No you don't, but they help. And he is right...pulling soundings from just anywhere is useless if nothing is going to happen there.

Given it's 5/6 days out, I don't think anybody has the right to say something is going to happen, or not going to happen. I can't assume that it is going to verify, or that storms are going to fire there. Nor can you, or him assume nothing is going to happen. Just sayin'.

Given it's 5/6 days out, I don't think anybody has the right to say something is going to happen, or not going to happen. I can't assume that it is going to verify, or that storms are going to fire there. Nor can you, or him assume nothing is going to happen. Just sayin'.

You are new to weather, and I love your weather enthusiasm, but what you just said was asinine. I can't say it enough....sometimes it is just better to read more and then post. Think about that.

I wonder

mcd0832.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0832

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0454 PM CDT FRI MAY 18 2012

AREAS AFFECTED...CNTRL / SRN MN

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH UNLIKELY

VALID 182154Z - 182300Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...20 PERCENT

SUMMARY...STRONG TSTMS CAPABLE OF LOCALLY ENHANCED WIND GUSTS

APPROACHING SEVERE LEVELS WILL BE POSSIBLE INTO MID-EVENING. A

WATCH IS NOT ANTICIPATED OWING TO THE MARGINAL NATURE OF THE THREAT.

DISCUSSION...A N-S BAND OF TSTMS HAS RECENTLY DEVELOPED FROM NEAR

STC SWD TO JUST N OF FRM...APPARENTLY IN ASSOCIATION WITH A WEAK

MIDLEVEL VORTICITY MAXIMUM TRANSLATING NEWD THROUGH THE MID-MO

VALLEY. AMBIENT AIR MASS IS CHARACTERIZED BY A HOT AND DEEPLY MIXED

BOUNDARY LAYER WHERE T-TD SPREADS ARE APPROACHING 50 F. WHILE

VERTICAL SHEAR WILL REMAIN SUB-OPTIMAL FOR STORM ORGANIZATION AND

SUSTENANCE...THE PRESENCE OF STEEP LOW TO MIDLEVEL LAPSE RATES AND

DCAPE VALUES AROUND 1500 J/KG MAY PROMOTE STRONG EVAPORATIVE COOLING

POTENTIAL WITH RESULTANT SURFACE WIND GUSTS APPROACHING SEVERE

LEVELS.

You are new to weather, and I love your weather enthusiasm, but what you just said was asinine. I can't say it enough....sometimes it is just better to read more and then post. Think about that.

ha. New? Not exactly. I'm just like reed and more of a wishcaster... I know all of the 'technical' terms.

Have liked northwest/western OK for days now as the GFS has been amazingly consistent in place of cold front/dryline intersection up around Woodward with the dryline extending south of there. Exact placement and speed of the wave will be key as will as quality of moisture return. For the past few days the GFS has been pegging 65 dews into this area while the NAM has been much weaker on moisture return with dews to around 60. Moisture did indeed mix out this afternoon across TX/OK as it's still shallow and the good moisture (dews >65 degrees are still confined to the gulf coast). The RAP is trying to get mid 60 dews up to CDS/SPS by 16z tomorrow but I would think those would mix out as sfc heating increases.

Don't like further north up into KS given the mid-level flow is parallel to the initiating boundary as storms could get messy as things fire in the late afternoon. The south target looks much better IMO for something discrete.

Tomorrow sort of reminds me of 4/25/09 in the TX PH (larger western trof with southwest flow over the area) but dryline/cold front intersection fired off several discrete supercells but couldn't produce due to the high T/Td spreads. If we can get dews around 61/62 tomorrow evening there should be a tornado threat with any discrete supercell near/after sunset as bases lower and the LLJ increases. Looking at a storm relative sense based off the hodographs from Woodward/Elk City/Altus, if a storm can turn right it could do some good things at/after 0z tomorrow evening. The amount of backing along the dryline along I-40 is pretty impressive in response to the p-falls across the TX PH as the sfc low becomes established tomorrow afternoon/evening.

We are staying in Hays tonight and will head south in the morning.

I think that at this juncture, all we can say is that there will be something chaseable in the Plains next week, which is a huge improvement from what we've seen this May so far. And yes, given the trend this year -- junky ejections, boiling EMLs, and ankle-deep moisture, some skepticism is warranted WRT a larger-scale outbreak. But I think we can all agree that the pattern is going to improve, for at least a few days.

ha. New? Not exactly. I'm just like reed and more of a wishcaster... I know all of the 'technical' terms.

Dude... chill. Most of these guys are far more experienced than you or me. The occasional enthusiastic post is cool, but best way to learn is to lurk and listen.

GFS folds to king Euro. Still a good outbreak in the NRN plains DAY 4-5. The reason I liked the setup u couple days back is that it was showing a multi day outbreak potential pretty far south, which means models can totally screw up the pattern and there's still a decent outbreak, just shorter and further north. California looks to get hit with a decent ULL day 7 and probably some dry Tstorms with it.

GFS folds to king Euro. Still a good outbreak in the NRN plains DAY 4-5. The reason I liked the setup u couple days back is that it was showing a multi day outbreak potential pretty far south, which means models can totally screw up the pattern and there's still a decent outbreak, just shorter and further north. California looks to get hit with a decent ULL day 7 and probably some dry Tstorms with it.

I'm not even sold on the D4-5 "outbreak." Moisture may be an issue Tuesday, and juxtaposition of upper support and instability an issue Wednesday. After that, the whole thing comes off the rails, as the death ridge continues its march westward with each run. By D8-9, the ridge is backing into the Plains.

As others have already covered well, the only given here is a string of ill-defined SLGT days in the Dakotas to perhaps NE/WY/CO. If this lack of ejections verifies, it might be the most brutal May in a long time. At least 2006 and 2009 didn't tease us like this.

I think the point is to stay in the shallow end for a while. You may know 'technical' terms, but I have learned that this isn't a place for rabid wish casting.

Just from reading posts from here has taught me a ton, and shown me just how little I know even though I have spent hundreds of hours studying severe weather. Sometimes being so enthusiastic about something can blind you to important facts, and these guys are very good at pointing those out. It's not being pessimistic, it's being a professional and seeing past what you want to see and what is reality.

Sitting back and reading the evolution of events around here is fascinating sometimes.

I'm not even sold on the D4-5 "outbreak." Moisture may be an issue Tuesday, and juxtaposition of upper support and instability an issue Wednesday. After that, the whole thing comes off the rails, as the death ridge continues its march westward with each run. By D8-9, the ridge is backing into the Plains.

As others have already covered well, the only given here is a string of ill-defined SLGT days in the Dakotas to perhaps NE/WY/CO. If this lack of ejections verifies, it might be the most brutal May in a long time. At least 2006 and 2009 didn't tease us like this.

the first wave keeps speeding up it seems.. the environment out ahead of it is now not quite what it was modeled for a few runs past days.

euro could look better... but not sure anything outside d5 or so on either means a whole lot. even within that range i would expect some more significant shifts.

Back to the doom and gloom. :(

And reber, I echo what wxniss posted earlier, specifically chill out. To be honest, there really has been a rather low level of consistency regarding the magnitude of this (maybe not the areal extent, but the concentration/significance of said area that is affected and not placed under a thermonuclear EML), although the current trend is not pretty at all and the death ridge this year has been rather crazy (and equally annoying for people liking interesting weather).

Archived