joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Observations and Discussion

Gastonwxman

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how cold the gfs was showing for your location, but It got down to 41 here this morning, so it was pretty close to the 30s here. Next week will be different though because both the euro and gfs are showing quite a bit colder 850mb temps vs this time so i don't have much doubt in 30s next week.Only thing is I haven't looked at the wind speed, which might keeps us a little warmer. But no doubt the airmass will be colder than this time.

If it had not been so warm for so long, this wouldn't be so annoying but damn...i hate cold mornings this time of year. Of course if this was January or February we would be complaining about it being so warm and it would feel really warm. But going from 90 to 42 and highs in the 60s/lows in the 30s next week sucks.

Yeah, I spoke too soon. It did actually make it to 44, which is only 8 degrees off what the Gfs was giving :) I shouldn't have under estimated the power of the Masters Cold Shot. Happens every year.

Personally I'd enjoy a more desert like summer here, with highs up high, if they have to be, but lows in the 30's all summer would be great, lol. T

It's looking like we have a nice 5-7 day run of "average early spring" weather with possible frost issues here in North Carolina. However starting next weekend, most the global models are developing a trough in the middle part of the country. That along with high pressure in the Western Atlantic will put us back in a deep Southwest flow. My bets are that the upcoming cold shot will be the last shot of the spring.

40 degrees this morning, and this most unusual cloud floated over the mountain. It ws almost lenticular, but not quite. Very three dimensional. Only made it to 69 yesterday. The rising moon was incredible, but you already knew that.

Awesome pictures MM :hug:

MM, awesome pics...oh, you need to come to the Conference!

Happy Easter to all, hope you are enjoying a breakfast of hard boiled colored eggs and a crapload of chocolate!

Happy Easter Diane :wub:

Indeed he does. A lot of the SE'ers need to come.

I am planning to attend next year :D

50/82 today :sun: One more day in the 80's and spring returns for the rest of the week, with high's in the 60's-70's and a night or two with lows in the 30's ^_^

Tons of things that kept from attending this year but I might just have to throw everything aside knowing that :P;):wub:

Start making plans now :wub: I've always wanted to go to the conference, but family vacation kept me from attending. So next year vacation will be in June and I'll be free in July. :) Besides....I owe Aims and Diane a few drinks and I need to pay up :hug::lol:

Expected high today of 81 then spring returns :)

Glad I've held off planting...

THE

CHILLIEST NIGHT OF THE STRETCH WILL BE WED NIGHT...AS THE CENTER OF

THE CP HIGH MIGRATES CLOSER AND PROMOTES MORE OPTIMAL RADIATIONAL

COOLING CONDITIONS. CONSENSUS LOW LEVEL THICKNESSES AROUND 1310

METERS AT 12Z THU SUGGESTS A WIDESPREAD FROST AND LIGHT FREEZE WILL

BE LIKELY...WITH LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S.

42 this morning, with clear blue skies, until suddenly, lenticular clouds began to form to my north coming off the escarpment. What a parade it still is... The surface winds are from the SSE at 5 to 10, but the clouds are forming and moving rapidly from the NW. So interesting to watch. Rare around here.

post-1004-0-39003700-1334067595.jpg

post-1004-0-75591400-1334067629.jpg

post-1004-0-62739500-1334067610.jpg

42 this morning, with clear blue skies, until suddenly, lenticular clouds began to form to my north coming off the escarpment. What a parade it still is... The surface winds are from the SSE at 5 to 10, but the clouds are forming and moving rapidly from the NW. So interesting to watch. Rare around here.

post-1004-0-39003700-1334067595.jpg

post-1004-0-75591400-1334067629.jpg

post-1004-0-62739500-1334067610.jpg

Wow! great pics. Wind is out of the NW in Weaverville. Bracing for a onslaught of cold after 10 days at the beach.

After 74 for today's high, tonight will begin the big cool down. Lows expected to drop to about 40 and then only rebound to the low 60s. It could potentially struggle to reach the 60 degree mark but I'm thinking something like 62 would be as far it gets tomorrow and then flirting with the freezing mark for the low that following night around here. Places such as Boone are looking mighty chilly with only the 40s for highs and upper 20s as lows, not to mention the gusty winds in attendance with that. Speeds are looking to be potentially higher than 30 mph for the folks up there so there goes the wind chill to factor in. It's already been breezy for the most part down here all day and I can feel the cooler air progressively making its presence known.

After all of that, the 80s appear to make a return for next week...The bi-polar attitude of the weather around here is almost impossible to believe but hey Nature does what it wants to do, so it goes.

Archived