• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Observations and Discussion

Gastonwxman

Here we are in April of 2012 with a new beginning. Here's to hoping that we do not have to contend with the nastiness of the storms we experienced like we did during the early portion of this month last year (and of course anymore tornadic outbreaks of some fashion). I can still clearly remember the 4/9 event (IIRC) when I saw golf-ball sized hail for the first time; even more rare to see it happen twice in one day...

Looking ahead toward Monday, looks like highs are going to attempt to push themselves quite close to 90 around here. Definitely not looking forward to such conditions. It's only early April Ma Nature...

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

89 today and 93 for tomorrow through Wednesday. We set a record for the warmest march on record and now we are starting this month with temps near 90 and breaking more record highs.

I hope we see 5 tornado outbreaks this month. April fools. Yeah right. Maybe we all see a break this month for tornadoes.

Guess I got fooled today for April Fool's. Only expected a passing shower but that turned out to be a quick-hitting heavy rain event with a period of gusty winds of at least 40-45 mph. No thunder or lightning with the batch that pushed through my area earlier today though. Good way to start the month off.

I can't remember the last time something interesting enough to post happened. It's been a while :( high looks to be mid to upper 80s today - cant believe it's this hot in early April.

Me either man. Just nothing to talk about for a long time and I'm pretty sick of it.

I can't remember the last time something interesting enough to post happened. It's been a while :( high looks to be mid to upper 80s today - cant believe it's this hot in early April.

I strongly dislike all of this early heat. Hopefully, we get a good cooling the models are suggesting for ~4/10. Also, very early indications suggest a much cooler summer vs. the last two years, especially July-Aug. I'm certainly hoping for that.

Mesoscale Discussion 414 < Previous MD mcd0414.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0414

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1248 PM CDT MON APR 02 2012

AREAS AFFECTED...MUCH OF SC...ERN/NRN GA...ERN TN...WRN NC

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH UNLIKELY

VALID 021748Z - 021915Z

ISOLATED TO SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE FORECAST TO DEVELOP THIS

AFTERNOON ACROSS MUCH OF SC...ERN/NRN GA...ERN TN AND WRN NC. A FEW

STORMS WILL BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS.

HOWEVER...AN ORGANIZED SVR WEATHER THREAT IS NOT APPARENT

ATTM...WHICH WILL PRECLUDE THE NEED FOR A WW.

SURFACE OBSERVATIONS AT 17Z SHOW A COLD FRONT LOCATED FROM CNTRL KY

SEWD INTO NC...AND SHORT-TERM MODEL GUIDANCE INDICATES IT WILL ENTER

SC BY MID TO LATE AFTERNOON. THE AIRMASS AHEAD OF THE FRONT IS

CHARACTERIZED BY SURFACE TEMPERATURES IN THE UPR 70S TO MID

80S...WITH DEWPOINTS IN THE MID-UPR 50S TO LOW 60S. WITH ADDITIONAL

SURFACE HEATING...MLCAPE VALUES UP TO 1500 J/KG WILL BE POSSIBLE. IN

ADDITION...LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES ARE QUICKLY STEEPENING ACROSS THE

REGION...WHICH APPEARS TO BE AIDING IN CAP REMOVAL AND SUBSEQUENT

DEEPENING CUMULUS OVER THE SRN APPALACHIANS. THIS DESTABILIZATION

WILL FAVOR THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT BOTH ALONG AND AHEAD OF THE COLD

FRONT DURING THE NEXT FEW HRS. DESPITE GENERALLY WEAK NWLY

DEEP-LAYER SHEAR...MODERATE INSTABILITY AND A WELL-MIXED BOUNDARY

LAYER WILL FAVOR MULTICELL CLUSTERS POSING SOME THREAT FOR LARGE

HAIL AND DAMAGING WIND GUSTS DURING THE AFTERNOON.

..GARNER.. 04/02/2012

If your around Haywood county take shelter know! High winds, lots of cloud to ground lightning, and quarter size hail!

Yep. I can see 2 individual severe thunderstorm warnings across the Apps from Mills River down to areas just north of Walhalla, SC. A third one may go up for the one in the Dahlonega area in GA. Looks like most are indicated to have hail of some fashion per recent radar trending...

Here's one storm in particular:

Balsam Grove, NC

Severe Thunderstorm

61 dBZ

Severe Hail: 60%

Hail: 100%

Max Size: 1.00"

Top: 27,000

VIL: 37 kg/m²

12z GFS showing a soaker for the Upper Southeast Thursday/Friday with a wedge feature over NC/VA. Closed low that's currently bringing severe weather to Texas is coming our way, it should gradually open up but still bring some active weather to the region...maybe some enhanced rainfall in North Carolina due to possible wedge setup...

12z GFS showing a soaker for the Upper Southeast Thursday/Friday with a wedge feature over NC/VA. Closed low that's currently bringing severe weather to Texas is coming our way, it should gradually open up but still bring some active weather to the region...maybe some enhanced rainfall in North Carolina due to possible wedge setup...

Robert mentioned this on Monday that we should have a real soaker on Friday. i am down at Disney World. Hottt here that's for sure

That storm we had today was crazy. I have never seen lightning that bad before in my life and that close without getting struck. You could actually feel the electricity in the air. We had quarter size hail and about an inch of rain. Very windy to. Blew down some small branches. Currently sitting at 61 degrees and overcast with a shower here and there. I second a cool down. Looks like we will get it next week with maybe some late season frost/freeze.

Had a nice little storm/lightening event roll through tonight and chase us off the baseball field. I'm to scared to even look/study into the future w/regards to LR/Summer outlooks. I'm sure everyone across the SE is like me and runing 3-4 weeks ahead of schedule. The strawberries will be coming very soon so get ready and enjoy. I'm already craving the start of football season and the first Fall cold front. Of course the CAD event coming up will temporairly cure some of this.

Nada, zip zero ziltch last night. 0.00" ftm.

I FINALLY picked up something worth talking about last night. Had some good t-showers, with a 1.17 inch total. The lightning was awesome. Although the returns on radar were not particularly impressive, there was nearly constant lightning during these storms. It was great.

This was the First significant rain in I don't know how long and thank god because the pollen had built up here to an absurd degree. Nice to wake up to see everything wet and that smell of refreshment after a long period of little to no rain.

Meant to say recently also that I actually hit 90 2 days ago for the first time. To hit 90 this early is absurd. But of course the long range gfs is showing a much colder pattern, at least for a while, in roughly 6 days...which is just as bad. I hate cold/cool weather this time of year as much as I hate 90 degree heat this early. Euro doesn't show nearly as cold of a pattern, rather normal looking temps so I hope that it pans out. If it does get cold, hopefully it will be short lived.

Archived