Newest Member
    Dump Trump
March 2012 General Discussion Part 3

Chicago Storm

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'lll take it!!!!! :thumbsup::wub::shiver:

Not done w/ the snow at all me thinks.. Maybe a duster and one sticker left..

That would complicate the growing season (likley not for native plants), especially if leaves continue to push there way out next week.

Skilling mentioned the back door/cool shot within 48 hours. Mentioned the frost potential and highs in the low 40s for Monday.

If one of those freak snowstorms were to hit in early-mid April it would be a very bad thing for wherever it hits. Mainly because the trees will be full of foliage and the result would be like a horrific ice storm. Lots of tree damage. Back in '97 we had almost a foot on April 10th, but the trees were still bare. Just something to think about.

If one of those freak snowstorms were to hit in early-mid April it would be a very bad thing for wherever it hits. Mainly because the trees will be full of foliage and the result would be like a horrific ice storm. Lots of tree damage. Back in '97 we had almost a foot on April 10th, but the trees were still bare. Just something to think about.

One doesn't have to look back very far to see what can happen when snow falls with leaves on the trees. NE October snowstorm.

Had a brief reprieve from the dense fog, but it's back in full force now!

If the GFS is correct, probably going to see a wild severe weather event around Easter followed by some much colder air...

I) No it does not say that.

II) That is 300+ hours out.

III) I would watch the period from around 168 hrs (Around Palm Sunday and the following 3-5 days), as the GFS ejects a lead anomaly which helps beat down the ridge in front of the main incoming upper/mid level jet streak from the Pacific, which would likely help the resulting trough become more progressive. If nothing else, some rather notorious historical severe weather days in that period.

Folks at home, folks at home - it is becoming all but inevitable that there will be sizeable Veg-Dev across the Midwest before long. Oh how I pray for the veg if the gfs finds a needle in a haystack. I know we all would love a white easter after not having a white christmas.

Can barely make out the treeline across the street.. Winter-resident and early spring arrival birds are singing even more joyfully than I do driving to the liquor strore. Grass is growing back faster than Alek's chest hair after a waxing. For one second I can almost convince myself I wish every March was like this but then I quickly snap back to my snow trumps all until May mentality.

This spring seriously reminds me of 2010. We had a nutty warm march followed by a cool April then a wet mild May. Shaping up to be that way it seems.

I think you have the wrong year for DTW:

March 2010: 7th warmest http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/display_climate.php?file=coldmar.htm

April 2010: 2nd warmest http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/display_climate.php?file=coldapr.htm

May 2010: 18th warmest http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/display_climate.php?file=coldmay.htm

One doesn't have to look back very far to see what can happen when snow falls with leaves on the trees. NE October snowstorm.

Had people without power in that area for 10-14 days... And I have been to CT twice since the snowstorm, and when they get a good severe thunderstorm, all the broken hanging limbs will come crashing down.

I would just as much stay in the 70-80 range and avoid any possibility of that. This past heat wave really took me out of the winter mindset.

Folks at home, folks at home - it is becoming all but inevitable that there will be sizeable Veg-Dev across the Midwest before long. Oh how I pray for the veg if the gfs finds a needle in a haystack. I know we all would love a white easter after not having a white christmas.

Can barely make out the treeline across the street.. Winter-resident and early spring arrival birds are singing even more joyfully than I do driving to the liquor strore. Grass is growing back faster than Alek's chest hair after a waxing. For one second I can almost convince myself I wish every March was like this but then I quickly snap back to my snow trumps all until May mentality.

:thumbsup:

Whats funny is our only back-to-back White Easters on record came after a not-white Christmas (in a decade full of White Christmases no less). Easter 2007 had just under an inch (but still an official 1") of powder on the ground after a completely bare Christmas '06....and Easter 2008 still had 4" left from our crazy Good Friday snowstorm, while Christmas '07 had just a T on the ground (major total meltoff of 10" snowpack a few days before Christmas but a last minute dusting allowed a T).

Archived