• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
March 2012 General Discussion Part 3

Chicago Storm

I'm wondering how the heck we're gonna get into the 30s tonight since it's 67 now.

Hmm, the front must not be there yet. Down into the upper 40s here.

I see dewpoints in the 30s are filtering in to central WI north of you. Fox Valley, Sheboygan, out by Wautoma. It'll be interesting to see how correct the forecast is for tonight.

Edit: Widespread 30s (dewpoints) moving into lower MI, even some upper 20s in there.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dewpoints are sliding of to around 40° now. Down to 47°, wind chill in the upper 30s. If the winds slacken off tonight, then I can totally see mid 30s possible.

Edit: 45° and still falling.

If anyone has clear skies, check out Venus, Jupiter and the crescent moon tonight!

Midnight temp is 50 at DTW and 49 imby. Probably will be the high today. This may be the first day since March 9th to have a below normal temperature departure. Which, actually, is not all that crazy, as we have gone much longer periods of consecutive above (and below) normal days in recent years. Of course, considering 11 consecutive days just had departures of +21F and above (incl 3 days of +31F), this is all in its own league still.

I just read an interesting tidbit on the CoCoRaHS page:

What is the real shape of a raindrop?

"Based on pictures we've seen in magazines, on TV, and elsewhere, most of us would guess that raindrops are shaped like a teardrop. It turns out that this is not the real shape of a raindrop. Small raindrops (< 1mm in diameter) are spherical, like a round ball. This is because a sphere is the shape that requires the least amount of energy for the drop to hold itself together.

As drops grow bigger than a millimeter or so, they start to become flat along their bottom edge as they fall, due to the resistance of air flowing around the drop. By the time a drop reaches 2-3 mm in diameter, it looks more like a hamburger bun than a sphere. Drops bigger than about 6 mm in diameter are relatively rare because the air resistance tends to cause the drops to breakup as they fall."

The next time we get large raindrops, I'll say, "It's puttin' down some buns" and people will look at me like I'm nuts. Which I am.

Archived