Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
March 2012 General Discussion Part 3

Chicago Storm

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to have one of these cool and nice soaking rain days after all the sun. Grass is almost at summer lushness but needs to thicken in just a little pinch yet. Next weeks mix of mild temps and cool backdoors will do the trick.

Got my worm box all set up just have to hope the crawlers are popping out tonight like weenies on prom night.

Beautiful spring day here...overcast, but with a few peeks of sun...warm enough to still keep the shorts on, but not sweat doing yard work. Stuck at 65F...

Some tiny cells firing to the south, moving west... Just a little rain overnight here, nothing today. Really could use a solid downpour.

Euro looks a little better next week.

You'll never see this again:

WFO Milwaukee Starting up Frost-Freeze Headline Program

During the month of March, 2012, south-central and southeast Wisconsin has experienced a prolonged, exceptionally warm weather pattern which involved the establishment of many new daily and monthly temperature records.

The abnormally warm weather has resulted in the budding and/or blooming of trees, fruit trees, shrubs, and flowers at least 2 to 4 weeks ahead of schedule. It is not known if people have planted vegetables in their gardens, but we assume some folks have done so. Climatologically, south-central and southeast Wisconsin can experience frost and/or freeze conditions until late April into early May.

The quick start to the growing season, consequently, has forced us to start up our spring-season, frost advisory - freeze warning program earlier than normal. We discussed this situation with the UW Ag Extension service and they agreed that it would be wise to issue Frost Advisories and/or Freeze Warnings.

Below are the guidelines the Milwaukee/Sullivan NWS Forecast Office has adopted for the 2012 spring season:

1. We will issue Freeze Warning headlines when temperatures are expected to reach 28°F or colder. 28°F is a critical threshold for fruit growers.

2. We will not issue Frost Advisories at this time. However, we'll include frost in the forecast (graphical and text) when it's expected. We'll probably start issuing Frost Advisories in mid-April....but more on this later.

3. We'll use the Hazardous Weather Outlook and Special Weather Statements when borderline hard freeze (28° - 32°F) situations are expected.

As the spring progresses, we'll either suspend the program if we experience a prolonged cold snap/catastrophic hard freeze (or a snowstorm), then resume the program when we get to our normal frost/freeze headline period; or, we'll ramp up to normal headline criteria when we get to that 'normal' period (usually in mid-April for south-central and southeast Wisconsin.

We think these guidelines will reduce/limit the number of Frost/Freeze headlines until we get into mid-April.

A quick look at our long-range model forecasts suggests that above normal temps will continue into at least early April. Of course, this doesn't guarantee we will escape any frost and/or freeze periods this spring. Let's hope for the best.

Rain just cleared out now. Picked up 1.08". It's pretty cool looking at the different cloud layers. Looks like there is one mid level layer, scud clouds, and creeper fog moving in. It was raining around here at about 53-54°.

549668_3586174019933_1440765701_3273000_2036954799_n.jpg

526928_3586174499945_1440765701_3273001_1601523135_n.jpg

DTX forecasting a low of 27* here Monday night :yikes:

The warm lakes might help up north and also the UHI will spare the vast metro area of Detroit. If not the cherry farmers are going to freak. The vegitation as far as native and even the urban shade trees will be just fine. No worries. But cover you azalieas and other fresh budded small plants.

Snapped a few photos of some cool looking clouds (or at least I think they're kinda cool) from the initial line that moved just to the west of here about an hour ago. Angry looking skies. Cell phone quality. Last pic came out a little different, but I sorta like it.

Great shots Chicago WX! Second to last one has some great contrast!

LOT just issued a dense fog advisory ~ it is definitely needed!

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL

638 PM CDT FRI MAR 23 2012

ILZ006-014-240745-

/O.NEW.KLOT.FG.Y.0010.120323T2338Z-120324T1400Z/

LAKE IL-COOK-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WAUKEGAN...CHICAGO

638 PM CDT FRI MAR 23 2012

...DENSE FOG ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM CDT SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A DENSE FOG

ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM CDT SATURDAY.

* VISIBILITY...AREAS OF DENSE FOG MOVING ONSHORE FROM LAKE

MICHIGAN WILL REDUCE VISIBILITY TO LESS THAN A QUARTER MILE AT

TIMES. THE VISIBILITY MAY BRIEFLY IMPROVE...ESPECIALLY WITHIN

RAIN SHOWERS EARLY THIS EVENING...BUT THE DENSE FOG SHOULD

QUICKLY RETURN AND PERSIST THROUGH THE NIGHT.

Grass is very green! Trying to capture the fog - camera doesn't do it justice. Visibility is about 100 yards.

551180_3586376785002_1440765701_3273063_372112861_n.jpg

Good shots for a cell phone. We'll make a severe guy out of you yet.

I "enjoy" it, but I'm totally IMBY with respect to severe. Alas, the severe season coincides with the start of my busy time at work. The year of course, it came a lot quicker (busy time at work).

I "enjoy" it, but I'm totally IMBY with respect to severe. Alas, the severe season coincides with the start of my busy time at work. The year of course, it came a lot quicker (busy time at work).

I understand that in your line of work you don't have lot of time to spend on weather this time of year. I am the opposite of you. I'm kind of an IMBY for winter weather, but follow severe in all parts of the country.

I understand that in your line of work you don't have lot of time to spend on weather this time of year. I am the opposite of you. I'm kind of an IMBY for winter weather, but follow severe in all parts of the country.

Well then, collectively, we'd make for a real good weather fanatic. :D

Archived