• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring "Green out"

TugHillMatt

Never did the Morel thing but grandpa was huge in to it up in the Medford WI area where he lived.

Remember him saying his hottest spots were where there was the most deep poop - deer trails - banks - dry river bottoms

Yeah never got into it either however, now that we have 40 acres Up North the family has been getting into morel hunting the last couple of years.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of this morel talk, or "sponges" as we call them, is making my mouth water. I've been hunting them for 45 years. We could start a thread in OT, but it would get derailed by the regulars over there. I stay clear of that sub forum.

From IWX: "Through the 19th, March 2012 has already seen 114 growing degree days which is in 3rd place all time for the month of March. The record number of growing degree days in March is 126 which will likely be beat on Tuesday."

EDIT: Could someone provide me with a site that provides current soil temps for Indiana locations? My search has proven fruitless

All of this morel talk, or "sponges" as we call them, is making my mouth water. I've been hunting them for 45 years. We could start a thread in OT, but it would get derailed by the regulars over there. I stay clear of that sub forum.

From IWX: "Through the 19th, March 2012 has already seen 114 growing degree days which is in 3rd place all time for the month of March. The record number of growing degree days in March is 126 which will likely be beat on Tuesday."

EDIT: Could someone provide me with a site that provides current soil temps for Indiana locations? My search has proven fruitless

morels aren't controversial, we have a few threads that stay on topic, give it a go.

I really thought the green out would have been greener by this point. The native trees still are stubborn around here. It's most likely thousands of years of adaptation that has made these trees not jump the gun. Just goes to show how April can be swinging in either direction. Not downplaying the green up. Just pointing out the obvious.

The leaf out almost seems like it's happened overnight.

/\this

today I was driving to an appointment and all the ornamental flowering pears were in full bloom, (almost overnight). It is the most beautiful and profuse show of flowering trees along the highwayand roads around here that I can remember.

also add: several wasps hoovering under the porch roof looking for a place to start nests.

I really thought the green out would have been greener by this point. The native trees still are stubborn around here. It's most likely thousands of years of adaptation that has made these trees not jump the gun. Just goes to show how April can be swinging in either direction. Not downplaying the green up. Just pointing out the obvious.

Same here, which is good. The invasive and non-native trees/shrubs can go ahead an get effected by a late freeze!

Birch tree, baby leaves.

540174_3571831821387_1440765701_3267703_1494463768_n.jpg

Sugar Maple buds

541539_3571833501429_1440765701_3267705_1822546183_n.jpg

And a my woodland ferns are starting to come up. Which is 3 weeks ahead of last year!

530469_3571834341450_1440765701_3267706_1107353609_n.jpg

Very interesting posts, guys! The Bradford Pear trees have started to bloom here literally this evening....amazing, as they usually don't bloom here along the lakeshore until very late April/early May!!! Insane. The Bradford Pears didn't even bloom this early where I grew up in Lancaster, PA. Day number 5 for me of wearing shorts...

Every redbud in Indianapolis that I see daily started blooming yesterday, perhaps 10 days early. Native plants seem less affected by unusually warm or cold springs than introduced species. But what is amazing to me is that nearly all the large trees are beginning to leaf out, way ahead of schedule.

Ragweed bad... every year like clockwork...at this rate they'll start in July.

chipbud.jpg

Anyone who does any fruit growing, I 'budded' a plum onto a peach tree...I took a bud from a plum last summer and cut a notch in another tree and taped it in place (using special tape)...then it stayed dormant all summer/winter and now its growing ...you can see the bud throwing out flowers and leaves... Grafting is awesome. You can put plums, pluots, apricots, peaches, nectarines all on the same tree...

The La Crosse River, when it dumps into the Mississippi River at Riverside, gets fished by a lot of hmongs I see them catching mainly catfish and rough fish, although I'm pretty sure there are also walleyes, panfish, etc in there too... Along the Mississippi, i've seen kids catch walleyes from shore... probably bass/panfish along the rocks too. Lot of current along the Miss there with the 2 rivers coming in (La Crosse/Black).

There was a hearse in that video. I have no idea why people (i've seen others) like to drive hearses...must be a college thing. There is another one with the plates "UNDEAD"..

This talk about greenup has me thinking. There are no official records on such things, but I estimate that this years greenup is right on par with 1945, and the two are the earliest occurrances of greenup in the last 100 years (1946 and 2010 also saw very early greenups, but not this early). And the two winters (44-45 and 11-12) were nearly 10 degrees apart (1944-45 was cold, tho ironically snowfall in the two winters was idential, 25.8 and 26.0...the difference of course being suppression and torching). I was born May 8, 1983, after one of our areas most pathetic winters (certainly worse then this past one) yet after a cold spring, a pic of my mom holding me on May 10th shows trees to be at the same stage they are today (ie, a very late greenup despite a mild winter).

This talk about greenup has me thinking. There are no official records on such things, but I estimate that this years greenup is right on par with 1945, and the two are the earliest occurrances of greenup in the last 100 years (1946 and 2010 also saw very early greenups, but not this early). And the two winters (44-45 and 11-12) were nearly 10 degrees apart (1944-45 was cold, tho ironically snowfall in the two winters was idential, 25.8 and 26.0...the difference of course being suppression and torching). I was born May 8, 1983, after one of our areas most pathetic winters (certainly worse then this past one) yet after a cold spring, a pic of my mom holding me on May 10th shows trees to be at the same stage they are today (ie, a very late greenup despite a mild winter).

I was born in 1979, I think that was a good winter too.

worst allergies ever...my eyes look like i've been ripping joints all day.

Same problem... Then I go in the tedious "allergy-contact" circle.

Eyes itch due to allergies -> rub them -> rubbing moves contacts around which further irritiates eyes -> irritated eyes are more susceptible to allergy irritation -> so I rub them. Rinse and repeat.

Just carried the trash cans to the curb in shorts and flip flops. As I walked back towards the house I looked around and noticed how all the trees around the neighborhood are leafing out and already green looking. The grass was already several inches tall as I trudged through it. Just an amazing experience for mid-late March. We're probably at least a month or month and a half ahead of last year. In fact, according to my records the warmest temp last March here was 71, and 84 in May. Hit 84 here yesterday lol.

Archived