joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring "Green out"

TugHillMatt

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's hope the trees don't need to use their secondary buds this year because we fall to the upper teens in April!

Fruit trees although...

Hardy vegitation up that way. A few nights below freezing won't hurt much at all. Esspecially elevated trees. Frost is your tender vegitation killer. The ice crystals cause damage.

Funny you mention the snowpack, this was from Marquette off their home page this morning

Incredible snowloss for an area that doesn't have Chinook winds.

It is amazing. Even the snow piles from the plows are even gone. In the years of living here in the Keweenaw I never seen it melt this fast. Even checked out the web cam at Krupps resort in Twin Lakes and it is nothing but bare ground.

Most trees have budded, a few starting to leaf out. Bushes leafing out. Daffodils have been blooming since Saturday and tullops will likely follow suite within the next several days. Some flowering trees are already blooming. Grass is green and growing fast with all the rain we have received recently in the Cleveland area. This is 3-4 weeks ahead of schedule.

Stebo, DLL - I had no idea you could grow peaches anywhere north of like Kentucky! Thought they were real sensitive to the cold like citrus crops. ...Learned something new today!

Rain this afternoon, really didn't do much. Enough to wet surfaces. 0.02". Grass probably won't get real green until the rain later this week.

Already some victims to the the heat:

This may be one of the worst years in decades for Wisconsin families who for generations have relied on Mother Nature's dependable freezing and thawing cycles in early spring to keep sap running through trees so they can make maple syrup.

For many, the maple syrup season lasted all of one day.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/wisconsin-maple-producers-endure-worst-year-in-memory-904k44h-143430066.html

Stock up on maple syrup, I have an inkling the price is going to jump.

Leaf out is full on up here just north of Milwaukee.

780e7851.jpg

Daffodils blooming too.

c45bc4a9.jpg

Lawn is greening up quickly.

6cde2f4c.jpg

0f49e3e6.jpg

Do you keep all those palms in a heated greenhouse or inside your own house during the winter?

EDIT:

I saw another picture, so you put boxes over them.... Do you use a heating coil?

Do you keep all those palms in a heated greenhouse or inside your own house during the winter?

EDIT:

I saw another picture, so you put boxes over them.... Do you use a heating coil?

I have a box over them with an electric heater set at 35F. They are from the highlands of China, so they can sit at 32-35F all winter and no damage. They are actually hardy to 5-10F before showing foliar damage, but don't like extended periods below 32F. I never protect them until we have a few days forecasted below 32F for highs and then I usually pull the protection first week of March, so they are covered ~90 days, which means I get ~270 days of palm enjoying time!

I have a box over them with an electric heater set at 35F. They are from the highlands of China, so they can sit at 32-35F all winter and no damage. They are actually hardy to 5-10F before showing foliar damage, but don't like extended periods below 32F. I never protect them until we have a few days forecasted below 32F for highs and then I usually pull the protection first week of March, so they are covered ~90 days, which means I get ~270 days of palm enjoying time!

Looks like your house faces North.... that must make it a tad harder. I have a south facing house, I have been tempted to try this.

Never did the Morel thing but grandpa was huge in to it up in the Medford WI area where he lived.

Remember him saying his hottest spots were where there was the most deep poop - deer trails - banks - dry river bottoms

Yup. Also anywhere the moss grows and morels love Elm trees. I've got a nice spot in my own backyard where the morels grow like my mad.

Archived