Newest Member
    joxey
Spring "Green out"

TugHillMatt

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

With the cooler weather this month, plants around here slowed down. Birch tree leaves have come out the furthest. Lots of shrubs have full or near full leaves on them now. Maple and now oak starting to come out a bit more. Given the slow up, I think around here things are about 10 days ahead of schedule only now. At least tree-wise.

My Siberian Elm in the back had become very loaded with seeds early on. Now that it has completely unloaded it's bumper crop of seeds it's pretty much completely bare again. The leaves are very few and far between, and quite small. I think the cool period has slowed the otherwise quick transition from seed deposition to leaf growth. The other area trees that don't seed out as much or not at all have completely leafed out and are way ahead of schedule. It's kind of weird to see surrounding trees all leafed out and then the Siberian Elm that looks dead. For example, the American Elm (a MUCH higher quality Elm) out front had way less of a seed crop and it's pretty much leafed out and ahead of schedule.

Archived