• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring "Green out"

TugHillMatt

Well, with temps about 30 to 35 degrees above normal here for the past week and a half, our plants/trees are about a month and a half ahead of schedule. Being close to the lake, it tends to keep us cooler and really slows down the "green up" process, NOT this year!!! Forsythia have started to bloom this weekend, maples are starting to get their little buds, daffodils are about to bloom, and the grass is greening up. It is definitely concerning, since frosts/freezes can happen here through May. But then this year has been crazy...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blackrock: Since I'm close to the lake too, it takes an extra 2 weeks usually to get leaves to pop out and the grass to green up. I would say things are 4 weeks ahead of schedule. I haven't seen any leaves or flowering bushes etc., yet. The buds are swelling on the maple trees though. I don't think a frost/freeze can hurt the hardwood trees. But the fruit trees coming about, that is a bit concerning. Grass is about 40-50% green now. I think the lack of rain is keeping it from greening up suddenly. Will get a frost/freeze again, it always happens in April. Eventually the Alaska vortex will break apart as the sunlight increases and season progress. Where that cool air will spread and dissipate out to, will be anyone's guess.

Yep, most of the trees have budded, except for the Oaks which are always one of the last to bud. Many of the taller trees are blooming. Should see some rapid blooming by mid-week with the potential 80*F+ weather.

Then again, even in 2010 Oak Trees didn't bud and bloom until May (while all the the other trees had fully bloomed by the first week of April).

Grass is green, tree buds swelling (no leaves yet), our small magnolia (always the first magnolia to bloom) is getting flowers about 2 weeks earlier than 2010. This is all 3-4 weeks early, and combine that with last year being 1-2 weeks late, we are a GOOD 4-5 weeks ahead of last year in general.

3-17-12..green grass

3162-800.jpg

3-18-12 early magnolias

3163-800.jpg

Anything under 28F at this point will be bad for most areas. That is the magic number for fruit trees. Above that and damage is limited...below that and you can lose everything.

I don't see temps anywhere near that within the next 10 days which leaves limited climo friendly dates left for that kind of cold...especially with the snowpack over the source region getting obliterated.

I don't see temps anywhere near that within the next 10 days which leaves limited climo friendly dates left for that kind of cold...especially with the snowpack over the source region getting obliterated.

Funny you mention the snowpack, this was from Marquette off their home page this morning

In the wake of an early March winter storm we reached a maximum snow depth for the season of 47 inches here at the National Weather Service on the morning of March 4th. Exactly two weeks later on the morning of March 18th, in the grip of unprecedented record warm temperatures, our snow depth was reduced to little more than a trace.

Incredible snowloss for an area that doesn't have Chinook winds.

Funny you mention the snowpack, this was from Marquette off their home page this morning

Incredible snowloss for an area that doesn't have Chinook winds.

Outside the mountain west, the US is pretty much snowfree and what remains is being read it's last rights. Of note the Canadian prairie.

nsm_depth_2012031905_National.jpg

nsm_ave_temp_24hr_2012031905_National.jpg

I'd be stunned if madison and la crosse don't see another 28 degree or less night.

Last time Madison didn't have at least one 28 degree night in april or may was 1999 and the lowest was 29.

2010 I think the canada snow pack was torched out real early. Madison didn't have a night below 28 after the 26 and 25 on april 8th or 9th of 2010.

Definitely doesn't look like the dead of winter around here anymore. The recent rains have really greened up the lawns. In fact I'll probably have to mow later this week. Almost all the trees have a green tinge to them, as most of the buds have opened and leafed out. What's interesting is my American Elm is the most reluctant to leaf out, even though it's usually one of the earliest. Almost like it knows better lol.

Things are greening a little slower than expected. I think the lack of rain in the last week is to blame.

The lawn so far...

318172_3555030761371_1440765701_3260460_1700364395_n.jpg

Speaking of last frosts and freezes. I would be stunned if a freeze didn't occur next month! Here is the last freezes recorded for my location. < 28°

2011: 4/18

2010: 4/9

2009: 4/17

2008: 4/30

2007: 4/15

2006: 4/26

2005: 5/1

2004: 5/3

2003: 4/24

2002: 4/23

2001: 4/24

Even in the relatively snowless winters of 01-02, 02-03 there was some late freezes. All you need is a cool, dry high pressure from Canada that brings down low dewpoints.

Archived