• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring "Green out"

TugHillMatt

Sometimes the trees don't start leafing out until the very end of April around here next to the lake! Of course now with this cool down, things will slow up. Most native plants still absent of any leaves.

Shorts weather is gone here for a bit.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talking to my brother who was up at his land today (about 45 miles north). Almost always, they are about a week to 10 days behind us in greening up in the spring (the turkey hunt a lot, so always notice those things) and in the fall, the leaves turn before here by maybe a week or so... Today he said that its the same up there as it is back here...so some areas are probably 6 weeks ahead of last year. By looking at my pics, I'd say I'm about 4 to 5 weeks ahead of last year.

First tulips popped in my yard overnight.

Ragweed bad... every year like clockwork...at this rate they'll start in July.

chipbud.jpg

Anyone who does any fruit growing, I 'budded' a plum onto a peach tree...I took a bud from a plum last summer and cut a notch in another tree and taped it in place (using special tape)...then it stayed dormant all summer/winter and now its growing ...you can see the bud throwing out flowers and leaves... Grafting is awesome. You can put plums, pluots, apricots, peaches, nectarines all on the same tree...

Yeah, ragweed is my issue I believe, and therefore I really dislike the late summer/early fall period. I had some problems this morning, so I might have some spring allergies as well, but it is much worse with ragweed in late summer.

lol, Mt Waukegan... Geos def in the running for WOTY. Just having a little fun and no offense. I would love to see your post if you lived up by, John Dee.

Lol, just now caught this post. None taken! I'm pretty sure UGN has the lowest averages out of the whole state! Where does JD live?

Took a pic today at the exact same angle of the magnolia tree on the corner, same sky conditions and all, as I took May 1st last year.

3171-800.jpg

Well, those two junipers next to that building haven't sprouted up yet this year! :lol:

The leaf out has been put on hold the last few days. Haven't noticed any changes since the cool down. The birch leaves are the biggest leaves IMBY at less than 1 cm in length. Silver Maples are smart they just have their buds - no leaves. Oak tree of course just has the winter buds on still. Edit: Actually just thinking, the ferns are continuing to come out. They like this weather!

Well, those two junipers next to that building haven't sprouted up yet this year! :lol:

:lol: yes great catch, you are correct! Its almost a good thing, otherwise you could have thought the pics were taken on the same day.

On the subject of the greenup......Id say a general rule of thumb is things are 4 weeks ahead of normal here, but probably 5 weeks up north,j if not closer to 6 weeks in some spots. However, I notice that some things are popping up out of order. Ie: usually the very first tree to sprout leaves is the chestnuts, and they havent yet (though they look like they are ready too, these trees get buds for like a few days only then sprout, and i just noticed buds. The dime-a-dozen honey locusts, the oaks, and the sycamores are still as bare and dormant as in mid-winter, but they are usually bare until May or almost May anyway. All other trees have swelling buds, some small shrubs have srouted leaves, and the sugar maples have that lime-green cauliflower look that gives a green tinge to the landscape. Bradford pears and magnolias are in full flower. I have NEVER seen a leaf in MI before April. Grass is a vibrant spring green.

I took this picture a few days ago of the tulips in full bloom:

post-599-0-13884000-1333069744.jpg

Last year on March 30th, we picked up 4" of snow. I was just browsing through my photos and happened to take a picture in a similar area:

post-599-0-76419900-1333069786.jpg

Definitely a stark comparison for the same time of year!

Nice pictures Trent!

The green up here progressed a little the last 2 days, but came to a screeching halt today! Tomorrow looks like a raw, rainy day in the 40s. Native trees are pretty much on stand by right now - the Oaks of course are asleep still.

Many wildflowers were blooming this morning. Pasque Flowers(noticed the first of these popping last week, but today these were out in force), Bloodroot, and Marsh Marigold were all in bloom today. Lots of undergrowth leafing out(though not far along). Cottonwood, Aspen/Poplar, and of course Willow trees seem to be the furthest along. Even some Oak are looking more like late April with hints of greens from the large buds. I also picked up my first ticks of the season today, and they were deer ticks.

Trees are fully bloomed in my yard. Tulips blossomed but were killed off by the freeze last week. We're re-landscaping soon (bought the house in November), so it's not a huge loss. Planted grass 2 weeks ago and it's sprouting well.

I thought tulips could handle a light freeze. How cold did it get?

Archived