amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 2012 General Discussion Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good lord! +40 for a departure for today. I didn't know that was possible!

83° for high today. Had about 4 hours of offshore winds, the rest of the day was onshore winds.

Enough with the heat now! I enjoy mild weather in the spring, not hot weather! lol

I don't see anything on the GFS that indicates tornadic potential for MI...

You're correct. My statement wasn't IMBY. Im speaking of an area encompassing the Lakes and Central states. Basically glancing at the eastern half of the nation. There is now a thread for the severe.

1936 & 2012 share a common bond.

Chad Evans thinks so. Interesting write up.

"BLOCKING PATTERNS OFTEN REPEAT IN A GIVEN YEAR & THE PATTERN JUST GETS STUCK………."

http://blogs.wlfi.co...12/03/20/55894/

I sure hope not! ... On a side note/thought - I don't think our power grid could handle that sort of widespread heat!

Any idea what the ENSO index was that summer?

Anyway, cooling off better than expected tonight. 62°

No. TBH I've never read any of his stuff until 10 hours ago. A weather friend on FB recomened one of his blogs. Someone enlighten me on this guy..

Chad has a history of wild and outlandish forecasts. Last summer, Chad forecast the hottest summer on record by several degrees over the previous record. Tim (ChicagoWX) did a little study of forecasts and verification for high temperatures. As expected, the NWS won the battle but Chad was worse than the Accuweather and by quite a large margin.

Anybody see how cold the weather is in Norther Canada and Alaska? Ice cap growing in the Arctic

Makes sense since the cold has been bottled up with nowhere to run. Moderation of that airmass should be noticeable as the northern hemisphere tilts into a warmer than normal sun. Eventually the polar vortex will weaken a tad.

With clouds here and rain moving in, our 9 day streak of 70+ may be over. As for early next week, there is a big question mark. Recent GFS runs have been quite warm with 70s for 3-4 days. However, the Euro keeps getting cooler as it has a typical spring great lakes ridge funneling cool air in from the east. The latest run is down to upper 50s for a high on Monday with even cooler temps farther east into the lakes region. That is still several degrees above normal, but it would feel pretty cool.

Archived