Newest Member
    amirah5
March 2012 General Discussion Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts going forward into Late March/Early April

I think that we will continue to stay above normal through early April which will be a continuation of what we have seen all winter, The +PNA/+NAO/+AO that we have seen for the majority of winter will remain except for maybe a couple of days this weekend where the AO/NAO go slightly negative. If anything the PNA and AO get even more positive than currently. I know the MJO is supposed to move into Phase 7 in a few days but all the models except the Euro double back into Phase 6 by the 1st of the month, and using this image you will see why phase 7 is still favorable until the end of March combined_image.png

That being said I don't think the MJO will have as much of an influence compared to the other teleconnections as it hasn't all winter. We have been in and out of cold phases all winter and it hasn't meant a thing because other things have asserted more dominance. Even looking at both the Euro/GFS/GGEM from today you'll see that any 'cool' shots move through and right on by in a day or so, or in the case of the Euro/GGEM are non existent. I know that the Euro weeklies for week 3 and 4 show cooler than normal temps but they have been a coin flip at best all winter when it gets to that range and furthermore they are slightly below normal not amazingly below normal. If this gets closer and still remains I might buy into it a bit, but unless something drastically changes with the PNA/AO/NAO, we won't be getting below normal for any significant period for a while.

My thoughts going forward into Late March/Early April

I think that we will continue to stay above normal through early April which will be a continuation of what we have seen all winter,  The +PNA/+NAO/+AO that we have seen for the majority of winter will remain except for maybe a couple of days this weekend where the AO/NAO go slightly negative. If anything the PNA and AO get even more positive than currently. I know the MJO is supposed to move into Phase 7 in a few days but all the models except the Euro double back into Phase 6 by the 1st of the month, and using this image you will see why phase 7 is still favorable until the end of March combined_image.png

That being said I don't think the MJO will have as much of an influence compared to the other teleconnections as it hasn't all winter. We have been in and out of cold phases all winter and it hasn't meant a thing because other things have asserted more dominance. Even looking at both the Euro/GFS/GGEM from today you'll see that any 'cool' shots move through and right on by in a day or so, or in the case of the Euro/GGEM are non existent. I know that the Euro weeklies for week 3 and 4 show cooler than normal temps but they have been a coin flip at best all winter when it gets to that range and furthermore they are slightly below normal not amazingly below normal. If this gets closer and still remains I might buy into it a bit, but unless something drastically changes with the PNA/AO/NAO, we won't be getting below normal for any significant period for a while.

Nice post. I think there is light at the end of the tunnel as far as being done with these extreme departures, but the question is whether it actually gets back to normal or below average for any sustained period of time. Not really seeing it yet...it may be more of a ho-hum above average regime for a while.

Nice post. I think there is light at the end of the tunnel as far as being done with these extreme departures, but the question is whether it actually gets back to normal or below average for any sustained period of time. Not really seeing it yet...it may be more of a ho-hum above average regime for a while.

Yeah I mean I don't see a prolific heat wave just yet, if it happens that's good if not that's also good. Also you have to remember with all of this record heat we have had there has been a positive feedback with respect to the snow depth, Now most of the Canadian Prairies are without snow and everything to the NE of us has been rapidly melting too.

Lots of interesting tidbits within...

UPDATED WEATHER SUMMARY FOR ALL OF SOUTHERN ONTARIO AND THE
NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA
AT 12:05 AM EDT WEDNESDAY 21 MARCH 2012.

-------------------------------------------------------------
==WEATHER EVENT DISCUSSION==

YESTERDAY WAS THE FIRST DAY OF SPRING. BUT IT FELT LIKE THE FIRST
DAY OF SUMMER. WE ARE IN THE MIDST OF AN HISTORIC WARM SPELL ACROSS
ONTARIO WITH RECORD TEMPERATURES TUMBLING BY THE DOZEN EVERY DAY.
ALMOST 160 DAILY HIGH TEMPERATURE RECORDS HAVE BEEN REWRITTEN OVER
THE PAST WEEK ACROSS THE PROVINCE. SOME RECORDS HAVE BEEN SHATTERED
BY AS MUCH AS 14 DEGREES.

NORMALLY WE ARE STILL FEELING THE CHILL OF WINTER'S FINAL BREATH.
BUT INSTEAD, WORDS SUCH AS HUMIDEX, DAFFODILS AND PATIO WEATHER
ARE ON EVERYBODY'S LIPS. EVEN ACROSS NORTHERN ONTARIO THE SNOW
PACK HAS BEEN MELTING AT INCONCEIVABLE RATES. FOR INSTANCE,
GERALDTON REPORTED 31 CENTIMETRES OF SNOW ON THE GROUND ON MARCH
18TH. TWO DAYS LATER IT HAD VIRTUALLY ALL MELTED.

IT APPEARS THAT THIS MARCH WILL LIKELY BE THE WARMEST MARCH ON
RECORD FOR SOME PLACES. IN TORONTO (PEARSON AIRPORT), THE PREVIOUS
RECORD WARM MARCH WAS 1946 WITH AN AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 5.2
DEGREES (THE AVERAGE OF ALL HIGH AND LOW TEMPERATURES), WHERE
NORMALLY THE AVERAGE IS -0.4 DEGREES FOR PEARSON. GIVEN THE
FORECAST TRENDS FOR THE FINAL DAYS OF MARCH, IT APPEARS THIS RECORD
MAY BE HANDILY BROKEN. IN FACT, MARCH 2012 MAY GO DOWN AS THE MONTH
WITH THE WARMEST DEPARTURE FROM NORMAL OF ANY MONTH FOR TORONTO,
INCLUDING DOWNTOWN WHERE RECORDS BEGAN IN 1840! THE HOTTEST MARCH
DAY EVER RECORDED AT PEARSON WAS 25.6 SET BACK IN 1946 ON MARCH
28TH. THIS MAY VERY WELL BE BROKEN ON THURSDAY OF THIS WEEK.

THIS WARM SPELL IS ALSO REMARKABLE FOR ITS DURATION. IT IS MORE
REMINISCENT OF A PERSISTENT SUMMER HEATWAVE. THE WARM SPELL IS
PROJECTED TO LAST THROUGH THURSDAY AFTER WHICH A COLD FRONT WILL
INTRODUCE SOMEWHAT COOLER AIR (BUT STILL ABOVE NORMAL) ON FRIDAY.

BELOW ARE RECORD MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE RECORDS SET ON TUESDAY
20-MAR-2012. PLEASE REFER TO THE TABLE BELOW FOR MORE DETAILS.

-------------------------------------------------------------
LOCATION			  NEW TEMPERATURE RECORD	PREVIOUS RECORD

WINDSOR			   27.0					  19.4 (1976)
LONDON				25.1					  16.7 (1976)
KITCHENER-WATERLOO	25.3					  20.0 (1918)
HAMILTON			  24.2					  17.8 (1976)
MOUNT FOREST		  24.1					  18.9 (1918)
WIARTON			   25.1					  15.9 (1995)
TORONTO DOWNTOWN	  20.9					  19.4 (1918)
TORONTO PEARSON	   21.9					  18.3 (1976)
BUTTONVILLE		   23.1					  13.2 (1995)
BARRIE				23.4					  17.2 (1921)
ORILLIA			   24.0					  19.4 (1903)
BORDEN				26.2					  13.3 (1968)
TRENTON			   23.3					  14.4 (1946)
KINGSTON			  21.2					  5.9  (2010)
PETERBOROUGH		  23.7					  5.3  (2005,2010)
MUSKOKA			   24.8					  15.0 (1946)
PARRY SOUND		   24.8					  4.9  (2005)
ALGONQUIN EAST GATE   24.5					  15.0 (1918)
OTTAWA				25.8					  14.6 (1995)
PETAWAWA			  24.0					  13.9 (1979)

THIS WEATHER SUMMARY CONTAINS PRELIMINARY INFORMATION AND MAY NOT
CONSTITUTE AN OFFICIAL OR FINAL REPORT.

END/OSPC

If the GFS is right there *might* be a shot at 90 somewhere next week.

Possible, the GFS has been showing a rebuild after the upper low passes by that could as hot as it has been with this heat wave.

Btw it was 60 when I got home outside, but inside my house the thermostat read a crisp 80...

A large part of the Chicago area is above 70, with temperatures in the mid 70s downtown on the lake shore. Definite UHI effect.

I get the UHI effect, however you will almost never see a 7 degree difference between ORD and MDW at any time of day unless there is a lake breeze boundary in between or one location gets hit by a t-storm.

ORD ASOS being ORD ASOS.

It has had a few kooky jumps/falls during this warm spell...but at least it has done well when it has counted, unlike in the July '11 heat wave.

It's 65 in Elmhurst just to the south, and 65 around Wheaton. Little cool pocket in the northwestern suburbs, probably not an error.

I get the UHI effect, however you will almost never see a 7 degree difference between ORD and MDW at any time of day unless there is a lake breeze boundary in between or one location gets hit by a t-storm.

Well, it appears the winds are calm in the cooler part of the city allowing for radiational cooling. The warmest locations have a steady wind that's mixing the cold air layer out, and also are deep in the city so urban effects disrupt the cold layer.

It's 65 in Elmhurst just to the south, and 65 around Wheaton. Little cool pocket in the northwestern suburbs, probably not an error.

It's 68 in DPA and 69 here.

It's rare that it's warmer here and at DPA than ORD in these situations.

Edit: Even DKB is sitting at 66.

Well, it appears the winds are calm in the cooler part of the city allowing for radiational cooling. The warmest locations have a steady wind that's mixing the cold air layer out, and also are deep in the city so urban effects disrupt the cold layer.

ORD was SE at 6 and MDW SE at 7 on the last ob. Not much difference.

I sure hope we at least have some Spring days that are crisp, like lows in the low 40s and highs around 60. That's my favorite weather and we totally seemed to skip that phase so far.

lots of time to get rack up days like that. Can't see anyway there is not at least 15 days meeting or below your criteria. lol - madisons average low doesn't get out of your "crispy" low 40's until almost a week in to may.

If STL finishes at 60.0F for March.

Adding up Jan-March then adding those to the average monthly climo's for the rest of the year, stl would finish at:

STL would finish 59.1F which would be 3rd warmest year on record here.

The record is 60.1F

I would be very very very surprised if we finish April-December right at normal.

If we finish 1F per month below normal, then the year would be at: 58.2F and 13th warmest all time.

If we finish 1F per month above normal, then the year would be at 59.9F and 2nd warmest all time.

If we finish 2.5F per month above normal, then the year would be at 61.3F and 1st warmest by 1.2F.

I don't know how it will play out. But if the trend continues, then this could be a huge anomaly not to be broken for a long time.

Would think its late april or may with how loud the robins are this early am. Down to 56 off the gross 70 @ 12 am. Gonna go see if I can't catch dinner this morning down in wilmont - I suck and have no patience river fishing so I'm sure the only thing I'll be catching is some rays and maybe a bottle bass or two if I can make fishing to lunch time but I'm sure I'll give up on fishing even before I think its to early for a barley pop.

Thankfully last day of the extreme sillyness temps for awhile but I sure had a good time following it :)

I've absolutely loved it. It feels like Mother Nature is repaying us for about 5 straight Springs that have been just awful up here. We've seen cold, and some of the worst flooding in NW Ohio history sadly the last few years and we haven't really seen warm weather like this till mid May so to have it in early March is unreal. I'm just enjoying a pattern I expect to never see again

April 2010 was the warmest on record and that spring was very hot too. So it hasn't really been all bad as of late.

Archived