• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z Model Thread 12/14/10

Atlas

Great run, actually. I was totally wrong. MECS from DCA up the coast. NYC gets demolished.

This was good for RIC too. Maybe a little light rain to start, then 850s crash, foot plus totals verbatim with about 1.5' QPF. Although any warmer and sleet becomes a worry. Awesome evolution overall though this run.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The evolution at 500mb does not seem to support the eventual track or strength of that low....there seems to be no real phase evident from what I'm seeing til suddenly at 126 hours...I'd like to see how many ensembles show this same scenario.

Its not a full phase... but the trough axis is already neutral by hr 102, and negative tilt by 108. I would be interested to see how much this storm could explode if it did actually fully phase the two streams. Bombs away for sure.

Its not a full phase... but the trough axis is already neutral by hr 102, and negative tilt by 108. I would be interested to see how much this storm could explode if it did actually fully phase the two streams. Bombs away for sure.

I think this solution as well as the 06Z GFS yesterday are about as good as you will get regardless because it just isn't all that cold. It is kinda like ACE with tropical systems (bad analogy), but there is a limit to strength based on the baroclinic zone. I think this potential storm has reached it.

Guest someguy

The evolution at 500mb does not seem to support the eventual track or strength of that low....there seems to be no real phase evident from what I'm seeing til suddenly at 126 hours...I'd like to see how many ensembles show this same scenario.

STONGLY AGREE

Although (at the risk of being pegged as a model weenie) everything gets washed away a week later... http://www.nco.ncep....2/fp0_312.shtml

Meh, who cares. Give me a good week now, I'll take Christmas holiday rain. A bird in the hand and all that....

Lol, that is identical to what happened last year. Snow on the 19th-20th and then a big wash away rain on Christmas.

I think this solution as well as the 06Z GFS yesterday are about as good as you will get regardless because it just isn't all that cold. It is kinda like ACE with tropical systems (bad analogy), but there is a limit to strength based on the baroclinic zone. I think this potential storm has reached it.

You are probably right, Im not a met (yet). Im certainly not unhappy with it as shown though.

GGEM looks flaaaat at 84, but with room for amplification.

Guest someguy

missing the point totoally

a full, pjhase pulls this Low up the coast

that is what the minster euro rusn were showing last weekend

this 12z gfs does NOT do this at all

this is PURE southern stream or the STJ energy going severely negative

period

there severe negative tilt of the s/w captures the Low and pulls it North SOME

not all the way

The GFS is phasing in a shortwave over MT/UT that moves southeast from there through the Plains and into the Southeast States. It's been showing this for at least three or four OP runs now.

You can loop it here and watch the shortwave phase.

http://www.meteo.psu...avnloopnew.html

Yup! That's why our southern stream shortwave gets so strong.

Maybe not that cold by Minnesota standards...

missing the point totoally

a full, pjhase pulls this Low up the coast

that is what the minster euro rusn were showing last weekend

this 12z gfs does NOT do this at all

this is PURE southern stream or the STJ energy going severely negative

period

there severe negative tilt of the s/w captures the Low and pulls it North SOME

not all the way

So what you're saying is,

Correct me if I'm wrong...

The GFS has not moved towards the initial solution of the EURO from the weekend that caused all the excitement.

It has found it's own solution that has a similar result.

Archived