• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z Model Thread 12/14/10

Atlas

Not saying that I'm agreeing with the following analogy, but something to think about...

You have a weighted coin that lands on heads 70% of the time and tails 30% of the time. The last flip landed on heads. What are the chances that it will land on heads on the next flip?

(yeah, it's more complicated than that, but that would involve a longer response :P)

Wow that is way to complex to follow after 10 hours at work. Maybe you can just spell it out instead of using the analogies.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not saying that I'm agreeing with the following analogy, but something to think about...

You have a weighted coin that lands on heads 70% of the time and tails 30% of the time. The last flip landed on heads. What are the chances that it will land on heads on the next flip?

(yeah, it's more complicated than that, but that would involve a longer response :P)

LOVE the analogy.

Wow that is way to complex to follow after 10 hours at work. Maybe you can just spell it out instead of using the analogies.

lulz.

Basically, "treat the storms independently and give one model the same odds of happening for every storm" is what the analogy was saying.

So long as the two storms don't have a very direct impact on each other, anyway (say, back-to-back systems) :P

70%.....

:huh:

Edit: Oh. that was your point. Carry on.

Ooooohhhhhhhhhh booooyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Too late in the work day for some :whistle:

EDIT: Getting a little OT now... hopefully mods won't mind too much now that the disc. part is pretty much done on this run.

Been out all day, missed the runs. Looks like the gfs and it's ensembles are against the euro and its. Its an improvemetn from last night but nothing has really been resolved.

Euro ensembles are a little west of the op, which means something.

You've probably looked closer than I have since I've been out all day. The euro is close to being a storm but still needs the trough to be sharper as it gets close to the coast. I could but also may not. The evolution of the northern stream reamins important.

Wes

You've probably looked closer than I have since I've been out all day. The euro is close to being a storm but still needs the trough to be sharper as it gets close to the coast. I could but also may not. The evolution of the northern stream reamins important.

Wes

FYI, GGEM ensembles were west of the op, markedly so.

except the pattern and setup is completely different. I realize there are a lot of simliarities on the outside with last year... but we shouldn't be comparing to it what so ever.

State College NWS for what its worth:

INCREASING CONCERN FOR A COASTAL STORM NEXT SUNDAY INTO MONDAY...

GIVEN TENDENCY FOR MODELS TO FCST LOWS TOO FAR EAST THIS THE LAST

FEW SEASONS. ALSO UPPER LEVEL HEIGHT FIELD WOULD SUPPORT A LOW

ABOUT 100 TO 200 MILES FURTHER WEST THAN MODELS SHOW. FOR NOW...

DID UP POPS TO 20 PERCENT EAST OF MTS FOR SUNDAY INTO MONDAY.

SITUATION SIMILAR TO LAST DECEMBER 19TH STORM.

Mt. Holly AFD:

THE MAIN CONCERN FOR THIS PERIOD IS THE POSSIBILITY...ALBEIT RATHER

SLIM ATTM...FOR AN EAST COAST STORM SOMETIME AROUND SUNDAY. THE 12Z

OPERATIONAL GFS RUN SHOWS A BIG SNOW EVENT FOR OUR AREA BUT THIS

SOLN SEEMS TO BE AN OUTLIER. THE GEFS MEAN KEEPS THE SFC LOW FURTHER

OFFSHORE BUT THERE STILL COULD BE A FEW INCHES OF SNOW. THE NEW 12Z

ECMWF RUN KEEPS ALMOST ALL PRECIP TO OUR SE. THUS CONFIDENCE IS NOT

VERY HIGH FOR FORECASTING THIS DAY 5 EVENT. WE HAVE MAINTAINED A

CHANCE FOR SNOW OR RAIN IN THE FORECAST FOR THE SUNDAY TIME FRAME.

AREAS WELL AWAY FROM THE COAST WOULD MORE LIKELY SEE ALL SNOW...

HOWEVER MUCH OR LITTLE WOULD OCCUR.-- End Changed Discussion --

Guest someguy

Wes

wes

rthe 12z euro ense,mble mean is a good run for eastern VA

Wes

At the same time though I do not like the orientation of its PV and trough axis...if the storm does get better captured or the trough amplifies faster this could very well move due north into the Hudson/CT Valley...its funny how some 12Z GFS ensembles did show an inland solution.

Archived