joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z Model Thread 12/14/10

Atlas

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yoda, take a look at the difference with the wave (our weekend storm) in the SW, looks more robust and farther SW, much better for us. We need spacing and better timing. I expect good things from 12z suite.

nam at 60 shows a more amped up s/w over the sw, more energy...With the PV moving over the lakes

I'm no expert, but the important features on the NAM look slightly better to me at 78 hours with regard to our weekend threat. More digging, more amplitude, better heights out west, and - to my admittedly amateurish eye - looks like a better setup to get that northern piece to drop down and phase in.

Guest someguy

the NAM WRF past 60 hrs is a little silly... the 5h over cnetral VA is 558 dm yet it has RIC warming to +5c at 850 mb ....

that bpatern does not support especiually with that massive vortex sitting over Maine/new brunswick

the NAM WRF past 60 hrs is a little silly... the 5h over cnetral VA is 558 dm yet it has RIC warming to +5c at 850 mb ....

that bpatern does not support especiually with that massive vortex sitting over Maine/new brunswick

Dave, is that piece of energy on the 84 hr NAM (yes I know at 84 hrs the NAM is garbage) in IA our PV piece to phase?

That SE ridge the NAM basically shows at 500mb at 84 hours aint happening...if it does the storm will happen, at least for NYC and Boston, I'm not sure DC would be all snow though if you believe the NAM.

Its colder at the surface--- is there a mechanism to warm it a the mid levels like that?

That SE ridge the NAM basically shows at 500mb at 84 hours aint happening...if it does the storm will happen, at least for NYC and Boston, I'm not sure DC would be all snow though if you believe the NAM.

Yeah, noticed that too--

Seems to me for the I95 areas that there is little wiggle room in terms of a full phase/coastal hugger with a 'warmer' solution and the flat partial-phased solutions we are seeing. Each successive suite seems to be diminishing that small area of opportunity that lies in the middle for I95 snowstorm. Full phase and the warmer Atlantic air gets drawn in ... a partial phase and this only hits the Southern MA and Eastern New England. Hope we can find that needle in the haystack on future runs, but as noted earlier, there will be wild swings in modeling solutions until data gets into a better sampling area. 12Z tomorrow should start to hone in on things.

Seems to me for the I95 areas that there is little wiggle room in terms of a full phase/coastal hugger with a 'warmer' solution and the flat partial-phased solutions we are seeing. Each successive suite seems to be diminishing that small area of opportunity that lies in the middle for I95 snowstorm. Full phase and the warmer Atlantic air gets drawn in ... a partial phase and this only hits the Southern MA and Eastern New England. Hope we can find that needle in the haystack on future runs, but as noted earlier, there will be wild swings in modeling solutions until data gets into a better sampling area. 12Z tomorrow should start to hone in on things.

only the UKMET had a wet solution for I95 and that was at 0Z yesterday. I'm pretty sure the PV keeps us cold enough for an all-snow solution in the big cities.

only the UKMET had a wet solution for I95 and that was at 0Z yesterday. I'm pretty sure the PV keeps us cold enough for an all-snow solution in the big cities.

I'm tending to agree that this is either snow or no for PHL- NYC. Most models are showing a grazing which leaves room for some westward trending. I dont see any real concern on guidance or expected upper ait pattern to think this would come so far west to bring much concern for precip type at this point for most. This knid of reminds me of all the near misses in 07/08.

I'm tending to agree that this is either snow or no for PHL- NYC. Most models are showing a grazing which leaves room for some westward trending. I dont see any real concern on guidance or expected upper ait pattern to think this would come so far west to bring much concern for precip type at this point for most. This knid of reminds me of all the near misses in 07/08.

In this pattern the only way I see a changeover in those two cities is some sort of scenario where the low sort of backs in or tracks a bit NNW but I don't see that happening.

Looks to be in and out in 12 hrs... a 1-3 inch event. The 700mb RH field reaches into PA at 54 and fills all of VA

At this point, a 1" snow is a big deal. But it does look as if the GFS is trending toward our side. Also, some of the SREF members from 9z looked OK. Someone said there was a tie-in with the NAM and the srefs, think it was IAN, but not sure who or what the connection is. Maybe the NAM will slowly come our way also.

At this point, a 1" snow is a big deal. But it does look as if the GFS is trending toward our side. Also, some of the SREF members from 9z looked OK. Someone said there was a tie-in with the NAM and the srefs, think it was IAN, but not sure who or what the connection is. Maybe the NAM will slowly come our way also.

The SREFs are basically the NAM ensembles.

Archived