• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
2012 Spring Banter Thread

Ellinwood

If it dries out the sludge that is my yard, I'm ok with that.

Tru dat. Mar-Apr droughts keep mosquitos at bay for the whole season. I freekin hate it when mosquitos explode early in the year. Makes august evenings on patio unbearable unless you cover yourself with stinky bug spray and even then they still hang near you searching for a weak spot in your focrce field.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mid-Atlantic is terrible for winters. We get our big year once or twice a decade, but after that it sucks. Anyone expecting a lot of snow needs to move to the mountain west, upslope regions of the apps or to northern New England. We can't even do cold right in the MA. We're the king of moderating cold air masses in the U.S.

The Mid-Atlantic is terrible for winters. We get our big year once or twice a decade, but after that it sucks. Anyone expecting a lot of snow needs to move to the mountain west, upslope regions of the apps or to northern New England. We can't even do cold right in the MA. We're the king of moderating cold air masses in the U.S.

:blahblah:

What you don't seem to get, weenie, is that this past winter was a fluke.

What most people don't seem to get is that winters like 09/10 are flukes and do not happen often.

Yes, we had a rather warm and dry winter. But - anyone who expects 09/10 winter repeats, are crazy.

What most people don't seem to get is that winters like 09/10 are flukes and do not happen often.

Yes, we had a rather warm and dry winter. But - anyone who expects 09/10 winter repeats, are crazy.

Yes, true. 09-10 was truly once in a lifetime. But saying that most of our winters are terrible just because of 11-12 is just as dumb and whiny. It was the warmest winter in 60-80 years (depending on the city), and in the bottom 5 for snowfall (for BWI). Most of our winters aren't really great, but they usually do give one or two decent snow events.

Hardly a weenie. More like speaker of truth. When you live in an area where the major reporting stations average roughly 20 inches a year, your winters are going to suck quite often. Look at the last 11 years at BWI:

and this year, less than 5

So....like I said, winters regularly suck with the exception of once or twice a decade (BWI has only received average/above average snowfall in 2 of the last 11 seasons or 5 of the last 24 seasons). If not for 09-10, we'd be in a serious snow drought.....less than 50 inches in 5 of the last 6 years, which is quite pathetic.

Hardly a weenie. More like speaker of truth. When you live in an area where the major reporting stations average roughly 20 inches a year, your winters are going to suck quite often. Look at the last 11 years at BWI:

So....like I said, winters regularly suck with the exception of once or twice a decade (BWI has only received average/above average snowfall in 2 of the last 11 seasons or 5 of the last 24 seasons). If not for 09-10, we'd be in a serious snow drought.....less than 50 inches in 5 of the last 6 years, which is quite pathetic.

Whatever...........I don't think an 18" winter for BWI is "terrible"

Soooo anything less than <20 is "terrible"?

Soooo anything less than <20 is "terrible"?

Over the course of 3-4 months, I'd say so. Even if 20 inches were the standard for being an acceptable amount of snow, it doesn't change anything as BWI has only received normal (like 20.2 ") in 5 of the last 24 years, so BWI has had below average snowfall 19 times in the last quarter century. Sooner or later, below average (e.g. sucky winters) become the norm.

Over the course of 3-4 months, I'd say so. Even if 20 inches were the standard for being an acceptable amount of snow, it doesn't change anything as BWI has only received normal (like 20.2 ") in 5 of the last 24 years, so BWI has had below average snowfall 19 times in the last quarter century. Sooner or later, below average (e.g. sucky winters) become the norm.

This ain't New England. Sorry.

you live in the wrong region

you live in the wrong region

I think you and Fozz are taking this the wrong way. By no means am I stating that I'm upset with our winters (I've lived in the area my entire life and know what to expect), just stating that they suck in most years and by suck I mean we get below average snowfall. Data supports that claim. There are far too many people in this area that expect 09-10/95-96/02-03 esque winters far too often. It just doesn't happen. Quite rare, actually.

Archived