northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2012 March Banter Thread

CooL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Models have NYC into the 20's. They'll wait for one or 2 model cycles and probably issue one for NYC also.

I would be surprised if they did. An SPS maybe, but I can't see issuing a freeze warning outside of the normal growing season (which is what drives the issuance of frost/freeze warnings). For NYC, the warmest part of OKX's CWA, the average last freeze date is around April 1st, and last frost around April 10th.

I would be surprised if they did. An SPS maybe, but I can't see issuing a freeze warning outside of the normal growing season (which is what drives the issuance of frost/freeze warnings). For NYC, the warmest part of OKX's CWA, the average last freeze date is around April 1st, and last frost around April 10th.

This is hardly an average growing season year.

Can't focus on climo all the time. Nature thinks we're at April 20th right now.

This is hardly an average growing season year.

Yes, but "average growing season" is what drives when such warnings are issued. Most of us made it through the fall without a frost or freeze warning because when the first one occurred we were outside the normal growing season. I'd imagine the same logic applies going the other way, and most of the OKX CWA is still weeks away from the start of the normal growing season, so I could see why they wouldn't issue.

Yes, but "average growing season" is what drives when such warnings are issued. Most of us made it through the fall without a frost or freeze warning because when the first one occurred we were outside the normal growing season. I'd imagine the same logic applies going the other way, and most of the OKX CWA is still weeks away from the start of the normal growing season, so I could see why they wouldn't issue.

I'd think they'd issue one at least for CT, where most places are fully leafed out. I'm in Monmouth County, and the growing season seems to be much farther along to my north.

I'd think they'd issue one at least for CT, where most places are fully leafed out. I'm in Monmouth County, and the growing season seems to be much farther along to my north.

Yes trials is going to have major issues as he has grown tomatoes already in his garden

CT is not fully leafed out. Not even close. No trees are leafed out around here, for example. Buds and flowers sure, but no leaves. Perhaps in the valley between BDL and HFD there are areas where some of the early species have popped, but that is not most of CT, and that's BOX's area anyway. BDR has an average last freeze date in mid-April and DXR's last freeze on average is May 1st with last frost in mid-May, so we are several weeks from the normal growing season. The frost/freeze warnings aren't really for the trees anyway, they're for people planting things.

To be fair, the ECMWF did not show 50s along the coast during most of the storm. At hour 192, temperatures are in the mid 30s for C NJ N and W with heavy precipitation still in the area.

Thats cold enough for wet snow especially if it is falling after dark - these types of storms are difficult to predict this time of year in advance - this is going to change at least several times and we will need good timing and some luck to see any type of frozen precip in NYC metro especially closer to the coast......BTW we have the 30th anniversary of the 4/6/82 event approaching anyone have maps from that one .???...

CT is not fully leafed out. Not even close. No trees are leafed out around here, for example. Buds and flowers sure, but no leaves. Perhaps in the valley between BDL and HFD there are areas where some of the early species have popped, but that is not most of CT, and that's BOX's area anyway. BDR has an average last freeze date in mid-April and DXR's last freeze on average is May 1st with last frost in mid-May, so we are several weeks from the normal growing season. The frost/freeze warnings aren't really for the trees anyway, they're for people planting things.

I agree. My comment was meant to be sarcastic (those who saw the leaf out discussion from the other thread get it).

no one is going to listen to a redsox fans.

I have leaves, tulips, all sorts of late spring vegetation out.

Frost and freeze warnings get issued for flowers, too.

Archived