• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
2012 March Banter Thread

CooL

Incredible how different the pattern was exactly 1 year ago compared to this year...

March 23, 2012: Yet another day of record breaking warmth with 70+ degrees, 6th day of 20+ degree departures in NYC this month, and trees are budding.

March 23, 2011 - exactly 1 year ago at this hour: a varying mix of thunder, snow, sleet, rain and/or freezing rain (still not sure which one it was) and hail fell:

post-1753-0-50056400-1332546479.gif

(Note: this year, the snow covered dirt to the right to the tree is filled with flowers)

post-1753-0-32889700-1332546475.gif

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though it is still about +10 from normal, today is a bit disappointing after the fantastic temps during the week.

Out to fertilize the lawn and spray some weeds. On March 24. :lol: Almost needs it's first cut already.

Hopefully we get a little rain tonight to water it in.

Starting next week looks like some below normal temps and also some above normal with some wild swings in temps through at least Easter Weekend April 7/8. With Negative NAO -Positive PNA and Neg AO Euro and GFS are hinting at possible frozen precip 40 North at some point - details are sketchy right now but this is one of those early Aprils with above normal chance of measurable snow.within the 1st 10 days...............The way the pattern is setting up with some real cold shots onthe long range GFS and Euro showing up over NE reminds one of this - just need good timing ....

http://www.njfreeways.com/weather/2003/07-Apr-03.html

big bust there...zero for most today

I had a little bit of rain earlier today... barely a trace... didn't even fully dampen my patio.

There's a little bit more rain just to my south... and by Virginia... if the rain near Virginia manages to climb enough north (but it doesn't look like it's gaining much latitude) then it might not be a bust, but that is yet to be seen.

With today's rain event having failed, the dry pattern continues with this March now easily on track to be at least the driest or second driest on record... According to weather underground, NYC only reported 0.57" of rain so far this month, meanwhile according to Upton the driest March on record was in 2006 with 0.80" precipitation. Assuming that less than 1/4" of rain falls through 3/31, which is possible especially with Thursday also looking like a light rain event at best, this March should end up as either the first or second driest on record. This year is also dry so far, as 5.16" rain has been observed so far in NYC, while the average rain between January and March is about 11.1".

Hopefully the pattern reverses, otherwise a drought could develop later this spring. The entire area is now under D0 conditions with SE New England under D1 conditions; the talbe on the left shows that the D0 area has nearly doubled over the last week. I would assume that a separate thread may be needed for this should the dry pattern continue.

post-1753-0-14302300-1332690128.png

In the midst of this cool weather, the leafing process continues, with the exception of Crape Myrtles and most London Plane's I'm seeing more leaves everyday.

I hope we don't hit freezing. Even if we do, as long as we don't go into the 20's we should be fine. My sunflowers have been going strong since late February.

Archived