12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
2012 March Banter Thread

CooL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea.. like Analog was saying.. the wind definitely helped out last night.. Had we gone clear and calm.. no doubt it would have had a different impact. It does actually give you an idea that this was actually a pretty decent cold shot. This airmass had the potential to easily produce widespread temps in the teens in the burbs had we had good radiational cooling...

yea.. like Analog was saying.. the wind definitely helped out last night.. Had we gone clear and calm.. no doubt it would have had a different impact. It does actually give you an idea that this was actually a pretty decent cold shot. This airmass had the potential to easily produce widespread temps in the teens in the burbs had we had good radiational cooling...

it looks like the core of the coldest air moves out this PM so tonight will be a fair amount warmer for most--would think outlying areas might radiate pretty well though with less wind

it looks like the core of the coldest air moves out this PM so tonight will be a fair amount warmer for most--would think outlying areas might radiate pretty well though with less wind

Tonight overall will be warmer, but there will be a much larger discrepancy from the cities to rural areas.

Tonight overall will be warmer, but there will be a much larger discrepancy from the cities to rural areas.

That wind was pretty harsh early this morning.. Nothing like taking the dog out at 5:30 AM and get a rude awakening like that. Quite honestly, this morning, I think I might have felt the coldest that I have this entire winter season.

That wind was pretty harsh early this morning.. Nothing like taking the dog out at 5:30 AM and get a rude awakening like that. Quite honestly, this morning, I think I might have felt the coldest that I have this entire winter season.

It's been quite the pathetic winter.

It's been quite the pathetic winter.

to say the least.. to be honest, I'm happy about the temps this winter. I really hate the cold.. the lack of snowfall was definitely a dissapointment. The early summer weather this month was definitely a bonus.. but I look at it more from the standpoint that it basically eliminated 2-3 weeks of a potential cold shot. I could have lived with normal to slightly above average temps, but it's stuff like last night that just irks me. At least with that 2-3 week gap completely eliminated from cold, it now reduced the odds a bit of both the severity and duration of a cold snap just due to climo alone. Each day we can sneak in a warm one, it just gets me that much closer to guarenteed warmth :-)

we've had some pretty nice swings in temps this season.. I know it generally happens a lot this time of year, but I feel like this year especially, it's been even more.

it happenes every year...Some years are more of a rollercoaster than others...I was 10 years old in 1959 and remember the snow we had on this date...I don't remember the extremes in temperatures it had...

day.....max...min

18th......36......27

20th......71......43

22nd.....34......20

24th......66......37

28th......40......25 o.6" of early snow...

I was 15 in 1964 and remember the wild swings in temperature...

19th......45......24

22nd.....50......32... 5" of early snow...

25th......75......46

31st......38......22

3rd........71......35

4th........45......31

1923 had its share of wild swings...

20th......31......14

23rd......76......48

29th......32......10

1st........36......12

4th........70......47

Because we couldn't get a block all winter.

we had some blocking at various times

this block keeps getting delayed and won't look anything like that

plus, sun gets stronger each day and will easily mitigate any kind of cooler pattern.

Even today it feels like 60, not 50.

we had some blocking at various times

this block keeps getting delayed and won't look anything like that

plus, sun gets stronger each day and will easily mitigate any kind of cooler pattern.

Even today it feels like 60, not 50.

The block is already in place. The nao has been negative for a couple days as well and will continue at least the next 10 days.

We never had that this winter. This winter featured 1-2 day blocking episodes. Nothing sustained.

12zECMWF1-5day500mbHeightAnomalyNA.gif

The lack of cold on our side of the globe continues to result in very little negative anomalies even w/ a blocking signature.

It looks like most of the NH is warm, even towards Asia, although it's significantly cooler there than North America:

UAH/AMSU analysis shows that global temperatures have warmed significantly in March and are near the 10-year average.

http://discover.itsc.uah.edu/amsutemps/execute.csh?amsutemps

Hopefully we can get some of the isolated thunderstorms tomorrow evening that the NAM has so that at least some measurable rain falls... the parameters don't look too good, and the NAM/GFS keep NYC with under 0.1" total. It wouldn't surprise me if the rain tomorrow ends up more scattered than widespread with parts of the area not seeing much more than a drizzle.

post-1753-0-84131300-1332880750.png

Archived