• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
All I'm sayin'...Is give mom nature a chance - LOL. Storm potential of 2/23-24 Bears Watching

wxhstn74

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-855-133003522939.jpg

Roads are slushed with a legit accumulation started at Rt. 47 Nb & 90. Car temp down to 32F (will verify that with a bank temp shortly :) ). Go time.

Nice!

Pops reporting ~1 inch down in Hoffman Estates.. Friend also reporting an Inch down in Palatine with still good snow falling! And from your pics the reports seem legit.. How are you looking Chi-Storm?

Starting to see some big flakes mixing in here. Not frequently but every now and then a half dollar sized flake comes down. Friend about 12mi. NW of the metro area says it changed over about 20min. ago and its snowing like all get out with huge size flakes...ground is coated. Couple hours from now get to see if some thundersnow fires up.

Didn't take long for the hype. CP24 is calling it a major snowstorm for Toronto. Facilities are already closing, and the city of Toronto is reassuring citizens plans are in place to deal with the significant 10-15cm of snow expected tonight.

I've purposely avoided watching the newscasts because I'm sure they're cringeworthy. GHD v2.0 setting up.

I think we'll really see the radar blossom to Chicago's southwest between 9 and 10pm as the precip type finally switches over throughout the area and the system really gets crankin'. We'll probably see the heaviest rates of the event between then and about 2am, along with our best shot at some thunder. I don't expect these heaviest rates to be limited to the northern tier of counties (although they may get a little bonus over the next few hours until the real deal gets going), but rather will be metro-wide.

The tail end of the deform band should continue to swing through well into tomorrow morning, bringing us a more characteristic moderate snowfall. I'd wager that the entire Chicago metropolitan area is game for 4-8 inches of snow with a few streaks/lollipops of heavier accumulation. This will prove to be a very dynamic situation overnight with a few surprises (both positive and negative) in store... there will be some beastly bands setting up with this thing.

Too bad tempuratures are so marginal and have been so warm lately, or we'd see some higher accumulations region-wide. The wet ground probably won't help much either. The moisture-laden snow should melt a bit throughout the night as it falls as well, I bet by the time things are all said and done tomorrow afternoon, there's won't be as much on the ground as expected.

Didn't take long for the hype. CP24 is calling it a major snowstorm for Toronto. Facilities are already closing, and the city of Toronto is reassuring citizens plans are in place to deal with the significant 10-15cm of snow expected tonight.

lol and we'll probably end up with 2". It's crazy. It goes to show how people can be swayed by the media. It is still 40F at my place in Scarborough.

Considering a winter storm is on the way when just 2 days ago we didnt even know if there would be ANY storm....Im happy. But have to admit being south of Detroit, east of DTW does not look well for the dryslot and that flat out SUCKS. Looks the far NW burbs of Detroit up to about Flint will be the jackpot for SE MI. Models still relatively all over the place considering the storm is here, so as they say, nowcast time.

Last thundersnow I saw was Feb 20, 2011, and it was pure awesome.

Archived