Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
2012 Winter Banter Thread #3

yoda

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a joke ;) We all should know that the DGEX is nothing really

Oh it's something alright. It actually does serve a purpose though, as it's primary motivation was to have high resolution guidance to fill the 5 (or 2.5?) km NDFD forecast grids beyond day 3. It was supposed to be sort of like a downscaled GFS, particularly to help fill the forecast grids out west. I don't think it was never designed/intended to be a real NWP forecast tool.

This photo currently on the cover of MSNBC and shows an image from Europe right now - Tuesday afternoon. Now, perhaps that system will circle the globe and hit us next week and save our winter?

I never post I only lurk but in light of latest model news perhaps a bit of cheer.

link: http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/14/10407742-romania-digs-out-from-15-feet-of-snow

post-2262-0-97060300-1329254944.jpg

This photo currently on the cover of MSNBC and shows an image from Europe right now - Tuesday afternoon. Now, perhaps that system will circle the globe and hit us next week and save our winter?

I never post I only lurk but in light of latest model news perhaps a bit of cheer.

link: http://photoblog.msn...15-feet-of-snow

Damn and i am going to be in Bucharest on Mar 10th. I wish i could have gone a month earlier, beautiful sight.

NAM S shortwave looks much stronger at 84 than GFS at 90...saw that in SE thread. Thought I read that we need that stream to be stronger so the N stream doesn't squash it.

It's best to leave the NAM competely alone for another 2 days. Trust me on this. Been there, done that. Stick exclusively to the globals until the vorts are clearly on US soil.

I hope you have reservations for dinner tonight and you are not planning on watching the 0Z model runs or it may be your last happy valentine's day.

Actually, just getting ready to head out in a few. We made an early reservation because it's a school night. I'll be quietly clicking my phone later tonight when nobody's looking. lol

Actually, just getting ready to head out in a few. We made an early reservation because it's a school night. I'll be quietly clicking my phone later tonight when nobody's looking. lol

It is like that commercial that shows this guy checking a game on his phone because he has the fast new service from verizon i think it is, and his girlfriend looks far from happy.

I thought he wrote dwindle those by 10, then i saw he said divide so i deleted my post and re answered him.

That's ok, -1% is still probably a fair assessment of our chances of a big event.

Then again, there was a point in my life when I thought winning the lottery was 50/50. You either win or you don't. I guess our weekend blizzard is 50/50 too based on that methodology.

I think a storm that had a period of +SN after a rain/non-accumulation start and dropped 2.7" at DCA and a general 3-6" for DC metro would cause massive jubilation and looting. That is my high-side expectation.

Maybe like Calgary after the Stanley Cup Loss, except there was anger there.

Lets ride the DGEX since it is such a great model:

http://www.emc.ncep.....totsnow192.gif

Per request. All of the information regarding the GEFS upgrade (including all of the testing that was done, presentations, etc.) can be found here:

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/yzhu/html/imp/201109_imp.html

There is way too much to go through, so to summarize as best I can:

• Slight improvement in ensemble mean forecast skill (500 heights, 850 Ts, etc.)
  • Pretty significant improvements to T2m and W10m
  • Overall improvement to verification in tropical skill metrics
  • Improved probabilistic guidance (higher scores for things that measure ensemble usefulness, reliability, sharpness, etc.)
  • Significantly improved ensemble spread (and improved spread/skill relationship)
  • Significantly improved TC tracks (better calibrated spread, lower ensemble mean error)

The only real negative I've heard thus far is that the GEFS has inherited some of the operational GFS cold bias (particularly for northern latitudes).

Archived