• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 16th-17th Potential Winter Storm

Powerball

at first glance the 12z Euro is a warning criteria event for DVN/cycloneville but the boundary layer is too warm.

Much will probably depend on what time of day the storm comes through and if there is any dynamic cooling. If it's at night and there's dynamic cooling, I'm guessing a surface temp of 1 or 2C can be overcome if the 850s are below 0.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quad Cities nws thinks this system could end up even farther south than today's model runs. If so, this will be a complete miss for CR through Wisconsin.

Yeah, I'm just about ready to expect a dry forecast for Wednesday night and Thursday; maybe a few flurries, if low level temps cooperate. :P Of course, this is hopefully wrong, and perhaps just a knee-jerk reaction to the usually erratic 18z runs.

Still looks like mainly a rain event for the QCA. May get a little snow at the tail-end, but not expecting much from this system. Pretty typical for this season. The more significant storm systems have had a tendency to be rain makers in this area.

Still agree with this from yesterday. As many others have already mentioned boundary layer temps are just too warm through much of the deformation zone.

He is kinda liking the snow threat with this and talking up the GEM.

He is a bit of a snow weenie (in a good way, giving it its due attention) at heart from my limited knowledge. That being said, perhaps he has a point, although the GEM hasn't exactly been snow friendly through most of its runs for this storm anyway.

I certainly wouldn't write off the upcoming system Wed-Thu. That is one of those systems that can throw some surprises. If some of the model depictions of qpf are correct and we get a surprise bit of cooling in the boundary layer and a good track at 500/850mb on the system it can certainly snow like crazy somewhere. I think this system does, in deed, have a few surprises up its sleeve. I am not gonna give up on this one. We gotta get one of these to pull through.

Archived