• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 16th-17th Potential Winter Storm

Powerball

By hr 48 on the 00Z NAM, it looks to be dropping that 3rd wave further south into MT/WY compared to the prior run. Good catch there.

The NAM looks to be the outlier right now because it doesn't even have this 3rd wave which the GFS/Euro have and what happens with that determines what happens down the road across the plains/midwest.

So we have to watch if this wave dropping into MT/WY is legit and if it is, the speed of it as well as the southern streamw wave as it moves east across the four corners into the plains.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh...

Keeping an eye on it all the same. Actually haven't minded the near snowless winter too much. After 4 years in a row of record winter, the break has been kind of nice. But, a storm is always something to get my attention, so, we'll see what happens.

And the 0z GFS comes in much stronger, takes the sfc low to the southern tip of Lake Michigan. Good snow band runs from eastern IA to Traverse City, MI.

DBQ-MSN special.

If it was just a tad cooler, and if it did come through at night for Chicago and Milwaukee as the GFS suggests, we might have a shot at a fair amount of that being snow.

If it was just a tad cooler, and if it did come through at night for Chicago and Milwaukee as the GFS suggests, we might have a shot at a fair amount of that being snow.

Milwaukee looks borderline on the 0z GFS. New CMC, shows the low going from QC to Bay City, MI. A bit like the GFS run.

00_054_G1_north@america@zoomout_I_4PAN_CLASSIC@012_084.jpg

GEM is further south than 12z run. Some snow on the backside for NW IL and S WI.

Keep in mind the precip shown there has already fallen by the 96hr mark. Most of the precip has already moved on by the time the colder air moves in.

These maps can be misleading, as they show precip that has already fallen in the previous 6-12hrs, while at the same time they show temp profiles at the respective time stamp. This implies a far snowier scenario than what's really forecast.

Keep in mind the precip shown there has already fallen by the 96hr mark. Most of the precip has already moved on by the time the colder air moves in.

These maps can be misleading, as they show precip that has already fallen in the previous 6-12hrs, while at the same time they show temp profiles at the respective time stamp. This implies a far snowier scenario than what's really forecast.

Ok, that explanation helps! :)

Models are coming into line, all taking a potent low just to my southeast, and all dumping a heavy burst of precip through eastern Iowa. Unfortunately, temps are going to be marginal at best. The latest 12z NAM really hits me hard, but the 850 zero line sits just to my nw for at least half the storm. Last night's Euro gave me almost no snow at all because it's so mild ahead of and during much of the storm. Waterloo to sw Wisconsin would be the best area for mostly snow.

Models are coming into line, all taking a potent low just to my southeast, and all dumping a heavy burst of precip through eastern Iowa. Unfortunately, temps are going to be marginal at best. The latest 12z NAM really hits me hard, but the 850 zero line sits just to my nw for at least half the storm. Last night's Euro gave me almost no snow at all because it's so mild ahead of and during much of the storm. Waterloo to sw Wisconsin would be the best area for mostly snow.

smart money says NAM will trend drier and south like is has every time this year at this range.

The only thing I've noticed on the 12zGFS that it is a tad further south with the L/p..the negative, lots of WAA...Lack of cold air.. The problem is when we get a strong system we don't have a lot of cold air, so obviously a strong system can easily pull warm air from the south, since there is not enough cold air to the North..

Archived