Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Jan 22nd/23rd Severe Weather Outbreak

andyhb

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It just kind of just puzzles me, looking at the damage to this one house that was completely destroyed when the houses around it look to have minimal damage.

http://www.trussvill...=1257&Itemid=64

408875_10150545953438959_126796793958_8861331_153117178_n.jpg

A house of this size, seemingly 4 side brick, and newly constructed...this is something I've not seen.

You don't see these big brick southern castles take this much damage often...

That is extremely significant damage.

A house of this size, seemingly 4 side brick, and newly constructed...this is something I've not seen.

*FLAMESHIELD PLEASE

I'm going to say there is evidence with the destruction of the home in this image that this segment of damage will be rated at an EF-4 level.

It's very similar damage to the Murfreesboro, TN EF-4 from a few years ago.

This damage is most likely not EF4 damage, more likely upper EF2-3. In my professional opinion, the brick is just a facade and is not structural component of this house. In fact it's more likely that poor workmanship / old building codes attributed to the roof blowing off then the building collapsing causing this damage.

NOUS44 KBMX 232158

PNSBMX

ALZ011>015-017>050-241200-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BIRMINGHAM AL

350 PM CST MON JAN 23 2012

...UPDATE FOR JEFFERSON COUNTY TORNADO...

METEOROLOGISTS THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILL SURVEYING NUMEROUS

COUNTIES OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS TO CONFIRM TORNADO DAMAGE. SURVEY

TEAMS ARE SCHEDULED FOR TUSCALOOSA...JEFFERSON...CALHOUN AND ST.

CLAIR COUNTIES TODAY. OTHER DAMAGE AREAS ACROSS THE SOUTHERN AREAS

OF CENTRAL ALABAMA WILL BE SURVEYED ON TUESDAY.

TEAM ONE: JEFFERSON COUNTY

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BIRMINGHAM WILL BE SURVEYING THE

NORTHERN PORTIONS OF THE JEFFERSON COUNTY OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS TO

DETERMINE THE PATH LENGTH AND WIDTH OF A LONG TRACK TORNADO THAT

CROSSED THROUGH NORTHERN JEFFERSON COUNTY. METEOROLOGISTS WENT TO

THE HARDEST HIT AREAS TODAY AND DID CONFIRM AN EF-3 TORNADO STRUCK

THE TOWN OF CLAY. WIND SPEEDS FROM THIS TORNADO WERE ESTIMATED AT

150 MPH.

TEAM TWO: TUSCALOOSA COUNTY

METEOROLOGISTS FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILL BE CONDUCTING

SURVEYS IN TUSCALOOSA COUNTY. A SUPERCELL THUNDERSTORM FORMED

OVER THE COUNTY DURING THE EARLY MORNING HOURS AND PRODUCED DAMAGE

OVER THE NORTHERN PORTIONS OF THE COUNTY.

TEAM THREE: ST. CLAIR AND CALHOUN COUNTIES

METEOROLOGISTS FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILL BE CONDUCTING

SURVEYS IN ST. CLAIR AND CALHOUN COUNTIES TODAY. A SUPERCELL

THUNDERSTORM FORMED OVER THE COUNTY DURING THE EARLY MORNING HOURS

AND PRODUCED DAMAGE OVER THE NORTHERN PORTIONS OF THE COUNTY.

ADDITIONAL PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENTS WILL BE ISSUED PERIODICALLY

THROUGH THE DAY...AS SURVEYS TEAMS REPORT BACK THEIR FINDINGS.

A MAJOR CONTRIBUTION TO THE SUCCESS OF OUR SEVERE WEATHER WARNING

PROGRAM IS THE RECEIPT OF STORM REPORTS FROM ALL OUR CUSTOMERS AND

PARTNERS ACROSS CENTRAL ALABAMA. IF YOU WITNESSED OR ARE AWARE OF

ANY STORM DAMAGE DUE TO HIGH WINDS OR TORNADOES...PLEASE CONTACT

YOUR LOCAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OFFICE...OR CALL OUR STORM REPORTING

HOTLINE AT 1-800-856-0758.

There is a lot we don't completely understand about tornadoes especially near the base of the tornado. A multiple vortex tornado (sub-vortices or suction vortices) is one that has mini vortices inside the bigger main vortex. I think most toradoes have these suction vortices. Most of the time no one can see them because they are rain wrapped or hidden by debris in the funnel. I've seen a few multi vortex tornadoes. In the ones I've seen these sub-vortices formed at the base of the tornado. Inside the main vortex there are several forces at play: inflow and outflow angle, rotational motion, centrifugal forces, pressure gradient forces, and even the winds in and around the tornado vortex. I think these complex forces form relatively calm areas inside a tornado, therefore areas inside the parent tornado will be spinning faster that others. Sub-vortices can cause narrow areas of extreme damage inside the main tornado damage path. Even though a tornado can range from less than one hundred yards to over two miles in width, these smaller vortexes may only be 60 or 70 feet in diameter and follow one another, this is often referred to as training. The winds in these sub-vortexes can easily spin in excess of 150 mph and are most likely responsible for a majority of a tornadoes destruction. They are one of the reasons people think tornadoes can skip over one house and hit another house across the street.....

The tornado at this point must have been extremely small and intense. I can only assume that poor construction played a role as well. In, Joplin, everything was destroyed along the tornado path, but there were some areas where the damage was worse when compared to just a few houses down, but those houses were badly damaged as well. There was a clear path where the damage got progressively worse but wasn't as bad on the edges. In the picture, it looks like the edge was the neighbors yard.

ABC News leads off the evening news screaming "No Warning" for the tornadoes last night. :axe:

Perhaps because of this??

Christina Nicole Heichelbech was one of two people killed today in a vicious Jefferson County tornado.

Her father said the family didn't hear the warning siren, but said he was awakened by storm noise and quickly yelled for his wife, Carol, and two children to get downstairs.

His 13-year-old son, Joshua, came out of his room right away. That, Heichelbech said, is when the tornado hit.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/01/clay_father_recounts_nightmare.html

It's confirmed an EF3 for clay.

Trussville, Fultondale and Center Point haven't been surveyed yet, I believe. Some of the images out of those communities are ugly, as with the ones coming out of Oak Grove in western Jefferson Co. Maplesville hasn't been surveyed as well, although I believe that one will be in the EF2-EF3 range.

BTW Andy, awesome job with the PBP last night! Hopefully it helped people that were in the paths of the TOR's.

Thanks, although I have to extend my props to the others who stayed up as well.

It's confirmed an EF3 for clay.

BTW Andy, awesome job with the PBP last night! Hopefully it helped people that were in the paths of the TOR's.

We saw quite a few storm reports earlier this year get issued an initial EF rating. Later a subsequent report was issued to upgrade the initial rating to a higher rating.

The tornado at this point must have been extremely small and intense. I can only assume that poor construction played a role as well. In, Joplin, everything was destroyed along the tornado path, but there were some areas where the damage was worse when compared to just a few houses down, but those houses were badly damaged as well. There was a clear path where the damage got progressively worse but wasn't as bad on the edges. In the picture, it looks like the edge was the neighbors yard.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that picture......we've all seen tornado damage and how one house can be leveled while the other left standing, but the only thing that throws me is it appears (as much as we can tell from the aerial pic) that this wasn't one of your typical lower end neighborhoods. You would have to think that poor construction played a role, but those houses do seem to be of the "better built" variety, but of course you can only tell so much from that picture. If the house that was leveled was a 4 sided brick home, it must have taken the absolute worst of the winds. If construction was an issue, then hopefully the builder is out of business!

Trussville, Fultondale and Center Point haven't been surveyed yet, I believe. Some of the images out of those communities are ugly, as with the ones coming out of Oak Grove in western Jefferson Co. Maplesville hasn't been surveyed as well.

Center Point really does look ugly. This is where I think we'll see them confirm it an EF4.

Thanks, although I have to extend my props to the others who stayed up as well.

Yeah that is true. There were a few of you guys that were great to follow, so like you said props go out to them as well!

BTW, what do you think about the possibility for SVR for TX with the system coming out of CA/PNW?

I think it's because it just makes a better story. The "they had no warning" stuff has been going on for decades. It's what the media always seems to report even if there was a warning. It makes it seem spooky and scary and grabs the readers attention.

Yeah but it really makes the NWS look bad which isn't fair as well TV mets like James Spann who stood in front of the camera warning people with no break for hours.

Yeah but it really makes the NWS look bad which isn't fair as well TV mets like James Spann who stood in front of the camera warning people with no break for hours.

Mr. Spann is the most passionate guy in what he does of anyone in his field. Who goes on a live feed an hour plus before the severe weather even reaches his viewing area? Also in the middle of the night between Sunday and Monday? Its kind of bittersweet to see him as much as we have the last couple years because he is very informative and you can learn so much but its usually bad weather when he does his thing.

As for ABC saying nobody had any warning these storms where coming, that can't be used as an excuse anymore. With all the weather radios, cell phone apps, social media sites, and message boards such as this one available for use, you should at least recognize a potential or eminent threat of hazardous weather in your area. In my opinion people choose to ignore the warnings and watches and have the attitude of it won't hit me, I'm invincible.

This is the first Severe weather event i have been with you guys and just wanted to say great job by everyone. Really on top of things and also real cool about the other people posting and helping out from other regions. Just everybody did great, and i am happy to say i am apart of this board and the SE crew. Just great guys and i feel for everyone's family who has been affected by these storm. Just heartbreaking this early on in the year.

This is just not a good way to start the severe season, with areas in the same places as last year taking direct hits. If this is any indication for what we can expect in Spring, then we're going to have some serious problems particularly considering the GoM is a lot more juiced this year than last.

if there's going to be an outbreak this time of yr it's fairly likely it'll be somewhere around there. pretty sure there's no correlation between january and the rest of the season.. of course another nina makes it possible we're active around there. i have noticed all the tornado tour etc folks are talking up a big season.. probably for business interests as much as anything else. :P

if there's going to be an outbreak this time of yr it's fairly likely it'll be somewhere around there. pretty sure there's no correlation between january and the rest of the season.. of course another nina makes it possible we're active around there. i have noticed all the tornado tour etc folks are talking up a big season.. probably for business interests as much as anything else. :P

Lets hope the EF2+ twisters keep to the rural, unpopulated areas. Lets also hope the populations that are in said towns purchase or are given weather radios. After last year's devastating storms, awareness is hopefully even higher for everyone.

I know from my time out there that a weakening La Nina headed into spring was favorable for a more active tornado season on the northern and eastern fringes of tornado alley.

This is just not a good way to start the severe season, with areas in the same places as last year taking direct hits. If this is any indication for what we can expect in Spring, then we're going to have some serious problems particularly considering the GoM is a lot more juiced this year than last.

Pass, lol

I'm glad I have my storm shelter just in case. People still freak out when we get just plain gusty winds with no thunderstorms here and that'll probably last for a few years. I really wish we could skip Spring though as it looks like it could be very active. But of course the northeast experienced an early snowstorm and many thought it would be a cold, snowy winter and look how that turned out.

Archived