• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Jan 22nd/23rd Severe Weather Outbreak

andyhb

Unreal situation overnight. I went to bed around 12am edt and action was minimal. Just catching up on what was going on. Stunned. I was hoping this wouldn't pan out. Nocturnal outbreaks are a whole other monster. Let's hope for

The best here. The morning shots of the affected communities should be breathtaking.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another very dangerous signature between Greensboro and Marion.

This could get ugly as not many folks will get these warnings.

The timing could not have been worse, especially with some of the

most powerful tornadoes occurring in areas of residential

subdivisions and such. Likely some folks were asleep, and then

that was it.

Spann mentioned that as many as 21 tornadoes with this outbreak. Which is just incredible for January, and strongly rivals any April.

What a great observation that you made earlier last week in the mid range thread, that weather will be on the extremes in seasons to come.

Who would have thought of a tornado outbreak like this on January 22-23 of any year? Wild.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BIRMINGHAM HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTHERN CHAMBERS COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL ALABAMA...

SOUTHERN RANDOLPH COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL ALABAMA...

NORTHEASTERN TALLAPOOSA COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL ALABAMA...

* UNTIL 745 AM CST

* AT 710 AM CST...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDICATED A SEVERE

THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS STORM

WAS LOCATED 5 MILES SOUTHWEST OF SPARKLING SPRINGS...OR 17 MILES

NORTH OF DADEVILLE...AND MOVING EAST AT 50 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

ROANOKE...STROUD...SPARKLING SPRINGS...WADLEY...CORINTH...ABANDA...

RED LEVEL...CRYSTAL LAKE...WELCH AND POST OAK FORKS.

post-2167-0-10409900-1327324650.png

My sister and her family live in Clay, right off Old Springville Rd. Tornado missed them by 1/2 mile. I feel blessed that the storm spared my family and will pray for those who lost loved ones this morning.

I have and always will hate tornados. Lived through one in the 70's when I was a kid in Center Point. Saw a trailer wrapped around a telephone pole and it's an image that shook me to my core when I was a kid.

Just absolutely terrible seeing what's going on over in neighboring Alabama, mother nature really needs to give them a break over there. Birmingham is quickly becoming if not already the Oklahoma City of the Southeast. It's amazing how long track supercells seem to constantly bullseye the little corridor from near Tuscaloosa to just north of the Birmingham metro. Hopefully it won't continue this spring.

My sister and her family live in Clay, right off Old Springville Rd. Tornado missed them by 1/2 mile. I feel blessed that the storm spared my family and will pray for those who lost loved ones this morning.

I have and always will hate tornados. Lived through one in the 70's when I was a kid in Center Point. Saw a trailer wrapped around a telephone pole and it's an image that shook me to my core when I was a kid.

There was a nurse that put up a Facebook post that they needed any available nurses at a triage center at the Winn Dixie there.

It doesn't seem like any of the tornadoes were very wide, which is a good thing, but some of that damage looks like at least EF2,EF3.

4 blocks or so wide in Clay. Very strong winds though. My Nephew's girlfriend had her wrought iron fence blown down by the force of the wind. Her sister's car was on one side of the pool when they went to bed and had been picked up and tossed on the other side of the pool and down an embankment when they woke up. Luckily, most of their house is literally underground but all of their vehicles and garages were completely destroyed.

It just kind of just puzzles me, looking at the damage to this one house that was completely destroyed when the houses around it look to have minimal damage.

http://www.trussvill...=1257&Itemid=64

408875_10150545953438959_126796793958_8861331_153117178_n.jpg

There is a lot we don't completely understand about tornadoes especially near the base of the tornado. A multiple vortex tornado (sub-vortices or suction vortices) is one that has mini vortices inside the bigger main vortex. I think most toradoes have these suction vortices. Most of the time no one can see them because they are rain wrapped or hidden by debris in the funnel. I've seen a few multi vortex tornadoes. In the ones I've seen these sub-vortices formed at the base of the tornado. Inside the main vortex there are several forces at play: inflow and outflow angle, rotational motion, centrifugal forces, pressure gradient forces, and even the winds in and around the tornado vortex. I think these complex forces form relatively calm areas inside a tornado, therefore areas inside the parent tornado will be spinning faster that others. Sub-vortices can cause narrow areas of extreme damage inside the main tornado damage path. Even though a tornado can range from less than one hundred yards to over two miles in width, these smaller vortexes may only be 60 or 70 feet in diameter and follow one another, this is often referred to as training. The winds in these sub-vortexes can easily spin in excess of 150 mph and are most likely responsible for a majority of a tornadoes destruction. They are one of the reasons people think tornadoes can skip over one house and hit another house across the street.....

Archived