joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 20th snow event part 2

Thundersnow12

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those on the north side. We need to hope that todays system weakens quicker. That is the only thing i can think of that is keeping this system from staying further north and ior on a more easterly track upon reaching the MS river. Have no blocking so that thankfully is not a issue and thus why i would not write it off yet.

Meteorologist Mike Hoffman

I'm tweaking the snow forecast map a bit...moving the 4"-7" area a bit farther south. While the models have been consistent for the last 2 days in bringing the heaviest part of this storm right over the heart of Michiana, some of them, especially our own FutureTrak model have shifting it slightly south this evening. And, when I look back across Nebraska and South Dakota this evening, it appears ...that the snow is breaking out in an area slightly farther south than expected. the biggest change is in some areas south of US-30, where I am bringing you into the 4"-7" area. There is a 3"-5" area both north and south of this band, and we'll have to watch for any additional shifting in the path...

Brutal run for the DTW crew. It would just be a repeat of todays clipper nuisance snow. Loling so hard right now. Where is the Spring/Severe weather speculation thread.?

:lol: The 00z runs are nowhere near a repeat of todays clipper. Todays clipper had about 0.03-0.08" liquid throughout metro-Detroit (and 0.5-1.5" snow). The 00z models show 0.2-0.3" qpf

What's your call for LAF and OKK Hoosier? Still think travel may get quite hazardous around here tomorrow...

I'm thinking 1-3" of snow/sleet although I'm leaning toward mainly snow at this point. 3" might be a little optimistic but I'm allowing for a possible southward tick.

The NAM would still be 3-5" with a N-S gradient. And this will hardly be the nuisance type snow the other snows have been this season. Temps in the teens, this will be an advisory snowfall.

Best hope is for the EURO to hold. Do have that in your favor as it has not shifted around as much as the others the past few days. It's 12z ensembles were as well in total agreement. :)

The EURO better not cave to the southern solutions. If it does, I will treat it with no more confidence than the other models.

It is possible. Typically though the ensembles will hint at it and that did not happen today. We'll see anyways. I am not leaving anything off the table. Thus all remains possible. So don't get your hopes up and don't get steamed. Wait and see.

Archived