joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 20th snow event part 2

Thundersnow12

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event recap. Models pretty much nailed the qpf around here, problem is it was 10-1 ratio sugar snow. And it was honestly like shoveling sugar. Dry but heavy if that makes sense. Very high impact due to the dense powder on very cold surfaces. We had 2.5" snow with 0.25" water content, snow depth is 3" of packed powder. Temps during the storm hovered between 16-17F. Roads are very treacherous, lots of rutted snow at intersections that plows havent gotten to. Some nice plow piles for 2.5" of snow. Was out this evening, driving at about half the speed limit. Top of the snow is glistening like diamonds, all in all a gorgeous winters night. First time all season I was outside on a quiet night and here the scraping of a plow in the distance.

Looks like my 3-5" call for Metro Detroit was a busto, however the 5-7" with localized higher amounts for Chi-Town looked pretty spot on.

Some local numbers though...

Your bust was probably due to ratios of 10-1 instead of the forecast 12-16:1. Wait til the morning to see the PNS reports, my guess is in the immediate metro area, no one got less than 1.5" and no one got more than 4", most reports probably 2-3". Settling will be nonexistent today.

Your bust was probably due to ratios of 10-1 instead of the forecast 12-16:1. Wait til the morning to see the PNS reports, my guess is in the immediate metro area, no one got less than 1.5" and no one got more than 4", most reports probably 2-3". Settling will be nonexistent today.

Yeah the ratios were the killer, the QPF fell in line nicely except the Euro being too high.

This seems like a low amount for FWA for 1/20. I would have thought that one year in the past 100+ that they would have received more than 3.1" in the dead of winter and it figures that the year they did get the old record was '78.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

1226 AM EST SAT JAN 21 2012

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET AT FORT WAYNE...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF 3.8 INCHES WAS SET AT FORT WAYNE YESTERDAY.

THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 3.1 INCHES SET IN 1978.

I noticed LAF had 0.08" liquid between 8-9PM last night. Considering it usually low balls wintry liquid equiv totals...it had to be rip city for awhile, which of course matches Keener's and the COOPs observations/measurements on the west side and northern parts of LAF. Very cool gradient slicing through here last evening for a time.

I noticed LAF had 0.08" liquid between 8-9PM last night. Considering it usually low balls wintry liquid equiv totals...it had to be rip city for awhile, which of course matches Keener's and the COOPs observations/measurements on the west side and northern parts of LAF. Very cool gradient slicing through here last evening for a time.

What did you end up with over there?

Depth is unimpressive of course, but sparkling of the snow is as good as it gets, also tried to get a few shots of how sugary/packed the powder is. Last winter pictures were nonstop, this year, im feeling very camera-deprived lol. The coldness of the roads and denseness of the powder did make for plows to have to plow pretty much all major roads (most 2.5" snowfalls would require salting mostly), my brother texts me "what is this 4 inches?" and I said "no 2.5"" and he said "thats it? looks like 4" to me" lol.

Foggy-low looking visibility with the air chocked with sugar grains and small dendrites

3033-800.jpg

Intersections...driving was a nightmare

3034-800.jpg

Calm night

3035-800.jpg

Always hard to try and get a night shot to do glittery snow justice

3036-800.jpg

Night glitter

3037-800.jpg

With the footprint you can see both the sugary and the packed powder texture of the snow

3038-800.jpg

Last winter the snow made it up to the the snowmans body This year, not so much

3039-800.jpg

Neighbor is a fan of big snowpiles.

3040-800.jpg

Blue sky

3041-800.jpg

Love the glistening

3042-800.jpg

Archived