• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
2012 Winter Banter Thread #2

yoda

i know it's "fun" to track but we go through the same hand wringing in every event. id like to think that this winter will magically stop sucking but it seems unlikely at this point. at least till the bethesdaboy onslaught in feb.

This winter has been pretty easy to deal with from my perspective:

1) I like snow

2) I like true warmth as much as I like snow

3) There has never been a real snow threat that has been pulled out from under our feet

4) There has been a good amount of mild (and relatively warm) weather

5) There's been very little cold, dry weather

No snow potential to get disappointed about missing, with mild weather instead I'm good with that.

If the BBpocalypse comes off, then this winter will end up epic overall with major warm and massive snow. Book it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know it's "fun" to track but we go through the same hand wringing in every event. id like to think that this winter will magically stop sucking but it seems unlikely at this point. at least till the bethesdaboy onslaught in feb.

there was no hand wringing as far as I could tell....I think other than the idea of some CAD for DC metro, especially the favored places to the west, everybody thought the idea of getting snow, if not a longshot, was/is unlikely to work out....

there was no hand wringing as far as I could tell....I think other than the idea of some CAD for DC metro, especially the favored places to the west, everybody thought the idea of getting snow, if not a longshot, was/is unlikely to work out....

so why did i get **** for saying the exact same things people are now saying today? as a friend you even come off pretty hostile toward me on here...

so why did i get **** for saying the exact same things people are now saying today? as a friend you even come off pretty hostile toward me on here...

How so?...I made one crack.....You have never missed an opportunity to tell us what we already know and it had gotten annoying....nobody is delusional about what we are up against....it's fine...I am going to be in the other forum anyway

How so?...I made one crack.....You have never missed an opportunity to tell us what we already know and it had gotten annoying....nobody is delusional about what we are up against....it's fine...I am going to be in the other forum anyway

apparently that's not completely true. sorry im so annoying.

You know its pretty bad around here when Matt goes off to SNE and creates a thread there to talk about their snow.

traitor

We havent done much better. Northern NE has done ok, SNE (CT and RI especially) are mainly snowless save for an inch last night. Here's to hoping for something good for all members here....

I've said this several times this winter and it is still a guess since I don't have the science or experience to back it up but I think the Atlantic has to change 1st and lead the way and there are some signs that will happen. The PAC side is a nightmare and no matter what short term changes we get it always wants to snap back into default position with a vortex in the gulf of Alaska and a ridge over the Aleutians.

I've said this several times this winter and it is still a guess since I don't have the science or experience to back it up but I think the Atlantic has to change 1st and lead the way and there are some signs that will happen. The PAC side is a nightmare and no matter what short term changes we get it always wants to snap back into default position with a vortex in the gulf of Alaska and a ridge over the Aleutians.

The 18z ens mean has the NAO flip about a week from today and strengthening the rest of the run. The Op also does a pretty good number on the torch over the next week as well. Maybe there is hope on the horizon.

Saturday seems to be a bit of a mystery at this point. Trends haven't been kind, but it still seems wishy-washy at this point. I wouldn't bet a nickle on snow, but I'd bet good money that if we can get precip in here before sunrise Sat we'd see a good bit of winter precip.

Edit: In fact, the GFS meteostar has KOKV with a high temp of 48 for the next 10 days (after this afternoon of course)

The 18z ens mean has the NAO flip about a week from today and strengthening the rest of the run. The Op also does a pretty good number on the torch over the next week as well. Maybe there is hope on the horizon.

Saturday seems to be a bit of a mystery at this point. Trends haven't been kind, but it still seems wishy-washy at this point. I wouldn't bet a nickle on snow, but I'd bet good money that if we can get precip in here before sunrise Sat we'd see a good bit of winter precip.

You're in a good spot. Models aren't going to get a wedge at the surface correctly. I'd be more optimistic about the column if we were just slightly above 0 at 850mb as the models might not get damming there either but probably not a 2 degree error. But we need a front running thump early. A slow developer that tries to get organized is going to be a rain storm for most.

Edit: In fact, the GFS meteostar has KOKV with a high temp of 48 for the next 10 days (after this afternoon of course)

Is it just me, or does the 18z OP show some kind of marginal storm on the 25th?

Archived