GENERALLY LOOKS LIKE 2 TO 4 INCHES TOTAL ACROSS NORTHWEST PORTIONS

OF THE FA WITH MOST OTHER AREAS HAVING AROUND AN INCH OF

SNOW...ALTHOUGH THE MOUNTAINS EITHER SIDE OF THE GREATER CAPITAL

DISTRICT MAY PICK UP A COUPLE OF INCHES. EXPECT LOWS MONDAY NIGHT

TO BE IN THE MID TEENS TO MID 20S.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12z euro is weenie heaven, pretty nice looking storms for the 3rd and 5th :whistle:

Nice to see some threats out there after another warm-up this week. Hopefully someone in our region can cash in on a big event. In the meantime, we had a couple inches here overnight and this morning, with another burst of snow about to move through.

Nice to see some threats out there after another warm-up this week. Hopefully someone in our region can cash in on a big event. In the meantime, we had a couple inches here overnight and this morning, with another burst of snow about to move through.

Snowing nicely now. Nice big flakes again. Nice to see the snow falling almost staright down with no wind for a change. Makes it pile up faster :)

I've never seen it snow as hard as it is now. Visibility is <30 feet. My backyard has disappeared.

I was just looking at those 40dbz returns crashing through Chautauqua county and figured someone was getting blasted by 4 inch an hour rates. Still yet to see more than a couple flakes in the ROC all day.... enjoy it!

That storm next weekend better not turn into a Mid Atlantic special on future runs. How many times have we been teased in Upstate NY with perfect Noreasters on day 7 maps. I did score big time with that late February 2010 storm (46 inches).... Otherwise mostly misses southeast.

BTW... the Euro has a precursor event around Thur night/Fri that is a nice moderate event.

Hmm... the coyotes are making a racket out there.

That mega band now entering cattaraugus county is fricken beast. Like delta said prob 4" an hour rates. Fricken nuts.

That storm next weekend better not turn into a Mid Atlantic special on future runs. How many times have we been teased in Upstate NY with perfect Noreasters on day 7 maps. I did score big time with that late February 2010 storm (46 inches).... Otherwise mostly misses southeast.

BTW... the Euro has a precursor event around Thur night/Fri that is a nice moderate event.

Hmm... the coyotes are making a racket out there.

Hear! Hear! It's time that regions which know how to deal with snow and can make good sue of it on the ski hills get it!

And that's not fake snow ;)

What the heck is fake snow? LES is not fake snow! Your just jealous you don't live next to a nice juicy warm lake to enhance snowfall all year. =P Fluffy LES only happens when temperatures are very cold. During the October storm the ratios were 1:6 I believe sometimes even low down to 1:3. Most of the LES I had this year was 1:10 as well. We have not had cold enough air for 1:20 or even 1:30 type ratios. Was at my in laws house in Eden all day, they received around 3 inches since 4 pm down there. I know because I had to clean off my car, took awhile. Drove by several accidents on route 62 as well, one truck ran right into a telephone pole and knocked out power. Two days in a row where the power has gone out. Anyways these last few days have been awesome! Received 2.3 inches at my location in the last burst. Slowly inching towards 40 inches on the year! Hoping to get to 80 by the time this year is over. (Doubt that will happen)

What the heck is everyone getting so excited about a storm on the GFS beyond 2-3 days! Lets get a little closer to start getting excited, however I bet the next one throws the storm off the coast. Also, has anyone seen OSU lately? The guy dissappeared!

Just outside shoveling and had a blinding streak of lightning and huge thunderclap pretty much right on top of me. Scared the freaking bee-jeepers out of me. Strange thing is the snow was only falling moderatly at the time. Anyway, by far the most impressive instance of thundersnow I've ever witnessed.

Awesome! Nothing like thundersnow! My best memories of thundersnow were the 2000 November LES event, and predominantly last years event from Dec 1st-3rd. 24+ hours straight of thundersnow, was absolutely incredible, could not sleep at all during that event. Ended with around 28 inches from it. Anyhow, anyone seem quite astonished that this year these winter "squall" lines are consistently coming through with incredible snowfall rates and thunder and lighting? Maybe a met can chime into why this is more predominant this year then most. For such a boring winter these things are quite exciting! This is the 3rd or 4th one this year so far.

congrats on the snow to those getting some

i got back to vermont yesterday morning.....just piles of snow left, but otherwise grass.

pretty depressing after leaving CYOW.

had a dusting this afternoon. hoping to get some snow sometime in the next week, potential big storm?

otherwise i wont be back in ottawa until feb 9.

Final tally here from this afternoons snow is 3.9" which is exactly what the NWS BUF is reporting. About 5" on the ground with the inch of crap from overnight last night. Its also an extremly thick heavy snow. Id say 8:1 is the average. Definitly not fluff. The heaviest snow ive seen since october 2006.

Devin the NWS received 3.9 within the last 6 hours, does not include this mornings snowfall or last night. I think you went from over measuring to under measuring. =P

LOCATION 6 HOUR TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...ERIE COUNTY...

NY BUFFALO INTL ARPT 3.9 951 PM 1/29 ASOS

Airport looked to receive around 6 inches in the last 2 days, not to bad!

Devin the NWS received 3.9 within the last 6 hours, does not include this mornings snowfall or last night. I think you went from over measuring to under measuring. =P

LOCATION 6 HOUR TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...ERIE COUNTY...

NY BUFFALO INTL ARPT 3.9 951 PM 1/29 ASOS

Airport looked to receive around 6 inches in the last 2 days, not to bad!

i know. I said i had an inch of crap from this mornings snow. Total for today is 4.9" for my location.

Archived