• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country: Heart of Winter 2012

Logan11

Today: A slight chance of snow before 11am, then a chance of snow between 11am and 3pm, then snow and areas of blowing snow after 3pm. High near 28. Breezy, with a south wind between 18 and 24 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow showers and areas of blowing snow before 9pm, then snow showers likely and areas of blowing snow between 9pm and 1am, then a chance of snow showers after 1am. Low around 13. West wind between 14 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

WWA in affect today. yay!

Nice surprise to wake up to. Not worried about tomorrow night into saturdays storm. like you said alot of times these storms track further north than modeled. i wasnt following the weather much for the past 2 days and the last time i knew about tomorrow nights event i thought it would be a dusting to an inch. 2-4" From tonights system and 2-4" more from tomorrow nights system would be nice.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My low today was an icy -8F! ..still about 5 to 6 inches of hard frozen snow probably helped. Essentially nothing left once you get into the greater Albany area.

Yeah the other night I was around 32 until close to 11 PM, but then it did spike very rapidly for those few hours. I'm within 1.25 miles I-88 ...around 2.5 to 3 miles west of the Duanesburg exit.

Me too. I came back from Albany tuesday evening (5-6:00+/-) and the elevated portion of I88 west of Duansburg was 33° and there apperared to be an accident on both the east and west bound lanes. Then before we dropped into Schoharie the temp spiked to 40. It dropped back to 33° before Cobleskill but then spiked again and was ~42° around Delhi.

Quick summary of this weeks weather. Sunday morning -7°, Monday morning -6°, Tuesday 40's and rain, Wednesday teens in the afternoon, and Thursday morning +2°(and dropping). It doesn't get much worse than that to me.

My low today was an icy -8F! ..still about 5 to 6 inches of hard frozen snow probably helped. Essentially nothing left once you get into the greater Albany area.

Yeah the other night I was around 32 until close to 11 PM, but then it did spike very rapidly for those few hours. I'm within 1.25 miles I-88 ...around 2.5 to 3 miles west of the Duanesburg exit.

We got down to 1.6 last night and talk about solid with an inch of fluff yesterday.

I saw where a deer fell in my driveway and it looked like a major struggle to get back up.

I may be kind of pitiful here in the S. Tier of NY....but there is no home for me in this forum! Ottawa is in a whole other climate zone from the rest of us, Lake Effect is a very unique, but isolated phenomenon....where do I belong? You guys dominate this forum. Sad, sad, sad this winter down here....

Sorry! Was to exciting to not talk about. Received 2.8 inches of snow total for the day. Looks like NWS received the same. You look to be in the "bulls eye" for tomorrow night into Saturdays system. Hopefully you can pick up half a foot! Hopefully will be over 30 inches on the year on Saturday. Prospects for snow do not look good next week at all, but trends are pointing to a wintery February/March and maybe even last week of January.

There are a few guys that post from Delaware County and aren't too far from BGM.....

There is "Logan" who lives a little nw of BGM...not to be confused with me .

Other than that...the Southern Tier people could start their own local thread if there were enough of them. Anyone has that right...

I may be kind of pitiful here in the S. Tier of NY....but there is no home for me in this forum! Ottawa is in a whole other climate zone from the rest of us, Lake Effect is a very unique, but isolated phenomenon....where do I belong? You guys dominate this forum. Sad, sad, sad this winter down here....

Sorry! Was to exciting to not talk about. Received 2.8 inches of snow total for the day. Looks like NWS received the same. You look to be in the "bulls eye" for tomorrow night into Saturdays system. Hopefully you can pick up half a foot! Hopefully will be over 30 inches on the year on Saturday. Prospects for snow do not look good next week at all, but trends are pointing to a wintery February/March and maybe even last week of January.

Hell, I don't mean to begrudge anyone their LES fun....Good luck to us all the rest of this winter!

The models showed us in a hole here and they are verifying. Very light nuisance snow the whole time and maybe 1/4 inch so far.

My thought is that we are getting downsloped on the south winds coming off the Catskills and Helderbergs. Now look at the radar and watch the good echoes as you get north of here into the southern Dacks, also the Upper HV would not downslope on south winds so GFL is doing fine.

No biggie to me either way ....hoping tomorrow night/Saturday delivers several inches though.

1.5" down so far tonight. Seem to have a bit of a Lk. Ontario connection going with this band up here. May overperform a bit for a change this winter. :violin:

8 minutes till the end is the best for anyone who doesn't want to watch the whole thing. Watch in 720p quality for best viewing.

very nice vid!

so i was driving down I-89 towards BTV today.....it was a nice day, my first chance to look across and around as i wasnt rushing to work in the dark....saw some nice mountain peaks to my west, i figure these must be on the other side of lake champlain....so are those the Dacks i see from I-89 looking westward? anyone know the names of some of the peaks in that area?

The models showed us in a hole here and they are verifying. Very light nuisance snow the whole time and maybe 1/4 inch so far.

My thought is that we are getting downsloped on the south winds coming off the Catskills and Helderbergs. Now look at the radar and watch the good echoes as you get north of here into the southern Dacks, also the Upper HV would not downslope on south winds so GFL is doing fine.

No biggie to me either way ....hoping tomorrow night/Saturday delivers several inches though.

Yeah, we seem to do well here with a good south wind coming up the valley, with a bit of an upslope. Problem is the south wind often causes boundary layer issues......Not tonight though. Thinking I might get lucky and squeeze out 3".

The Dacks go west of Plattsburgh, lesser northern peaks...all under 4K. The northern most hill is Covey Hill just into Quebec. If they were quite impressive then maybe you were looking southwest enough to see Giant Mountain (4800' I think) which is on the eastern edge of the High Peaks along/west of I-87 between exit 30 and 31.

very nice vid!

so i was driving down I-89 towards BTV today.....it was a nice day, my first chance to look across and around as i wasnt rushing to work in the dark....saw some nice mountain peaks to my west, i figure these must be on the other side of lake champlain....so are those the Dacks i see from I-89 looking westward? anyone know the names of some of the peaks in that area?

I was in Clifton Park along I-87 yesterday and they had almost no snow on the ground. Was there more as you head up toward GFL?

Here we have about 5 inches give or take of frozen glacier..maybe 6" in the woods.

Had a couple of icy inches on the ground before this. Everything was covered except under the pines

Tomorrow looks like a bit of a Southern Tier special for you. :)

A grand total of 0.3 here ! I'm thinking there could have been some southerly wind downslope off the Catskills.... Not that it ever would have been much.

Somehow here on the hill we squeezed 3" of good snow and 2" of the fake stuff. Better than rian.

About 11" here in Boonville, NY last night. Very light- maybe .6 precip? Winds from the south at 15-20 mph. The models and forecasts for our area this winter have been tremendously inaccurate.

Received 3 inches total yesterday. Wow 11 inches and NWS calling for 2-4, looks like the LES that followed off of Ontario contributed to that total. Looks like a 2-4 inch event in this area, unless the northward trend kicks in last second, who knows the way these models have been at forecasting lately.... Torch hits next week, but the up and down pattern continues. I'm happy as long as Lake Erie remains unfrozen and we get our snow fix. =P. Going to be over 30 inches on the year after tonights round hopefully.

Archived