joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country: Heart of Winter 2012

Logan11

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12Z NAM seems to hang the 0C 850 line up near Smith's Falls. Then it might just kiss Ottawa around the 5 to 7 pm period before getting swept away as colder air comes in. Maybe you'll get lucky and have sleet for a bit rather than much ice.

Ottawa North - Kanata - Orléans

5:30 AM EST Tuesday 17 January 2012

Winter storm warning for

Ottawa North - Kanata - Orléans continued

..Heavy snow followed by freezing rain..

A deepening low will track northeast across southern and Eastern Ontario today accompanied by significant snow. Patchy freezing drizzle will be replaced by snow heavy at times this morning before changing to ice pellets and freezing rain later in the day. Snowfall amounts of close to 15 centimetres are likely followed by some ice buildup due to freezing rain. Conditions should improve tonight when the low moves over the Ottawa area into Quebec.

Driving conditions will become hazardous today due to accumulating snow, very low visibility in heavy snow, and potential for ice buildup on untreated surfaces when the freezing rain arrives.

A deepening low will move northeast across lower Michigan into Southern Ontario near the Sarnia area this morning. It will then track northeast to north of Toronto by this evening then across the Ottawa area into Southern Quebec tonight.

This low will bring significant snow and freezing rain to regions near and northwest of its track.

Refer to your local public forecast for further details.

Forecast last night of coating to an inch the freezing rain to rain. Radar showed heavy snow followed by a break then just rain. Reality showed sleet and little freezing rain with a gap. So I send the sanders out.Then it snows 2.5" and no rain. Can't wind with forecasts like these.

The 12Z NAM seems to hang the 0C 850 line up near Smith's Falls. Then it might just kiss Ottawa around the 5 to 7 pm period before getting swept away as colder air comes in. Maybe you'll get lucky and have sleet for a bit rather than much ice.

Rick I'm northeast of Ottawa, near Gatineau airport (just across the river). It's been snowing all morning, probably around an inch so far. I'm just glad we got some snow before any freezing rain.

Yep...familiar with your approximate location from my numerous trips to that area, such as camping at Lac Philippe quite a few times..also been to the Museum of Civilization in Hull. But I have never been into the "city" of Gatineau proper.

Good luck holding onto the snowfall as long as possible. :)

Classic case here where despite an unfavorable storm track, NE NY maximizes leftover cold air to score some snow and now ice and the thaw will be pretty brief. Saturday may be a similar event, but further south and perhaps our chance here.

Rick I'm northeast of Ottawa, near Gatineau airport (just across the river). It's been snowing all morning, probably around an inch so far. I'm just glad we got some snow before any freezing rain.

Hope so... Finally be nice to get the kind of snow event I thought would be common in this La Nina winter.

Marginal here now, but glazing at 31.3...sure this is very localized to my hill location. I hang onto low level cold air until the bitter end here with the gradual upward rise in land my south from my 1k feet to 2 k feet in southwest Albany county ...whereas ALB has the Hudson Valley to their south to channel mild air up on south winds readily.

Canadian now on board as well. Hoping the mighty Euro follows suit...

I'm only a few miles from you, and was already above freezing when I left my house at 9:30 this morning. Being the highpoint locally, we warm up pretty fast in these situations.

Hope so... Finally be nice to get the kind of snow event I thought would be common in this La Nina winter.

Marginal here now, but glazing at 31.3...sure this is very localized to my hill location. I hang onto low level cold air until the bitter end here with the gradual upward rise in land my south from my 1k feet to 2 k feet in southwest Albany county ...whereas ALB has the Hudson Valley to their south to channel mild air up on south winds readily.

At 9:30 I was still around 28 I'd say... I was out shoveling the driveway... Not really enough for the blower or plow so I shoveled it all out. I hate leaving half the gravel on the lawn trying to get down low with the plow in these minor snowfalls. Too much clean-up in the spring.

I'm only a few miles from you, and was already above freezing when I left my house at 9:30 this morning. Being the highpoint locally, we warm up pretty fast in these situations.

Eww ..I couldn't take those temperature swings. LOL

32 here with cold -RN and fog...about to taper to drizzle. Doesn't seem to be freezing.....

I love the heat/sun more then the cold. I absolutely love Buffalo summers, in my opinion they are the best in the east. 80-85 and sunny everyday for 3-4 months straight. 55 degree temperatuers will heat up my lovely lake to blast us with some LES (Hopefully)! :snowing:

High Wind Event...

So the AFD out of BUF stated:

THE HIGH WIND SCENARIO WILL SET UP THIS EVENING AS THE SURFACE LOW LIFTS PAST TO THE NORTH. LOOKING AT THE SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY CIPS COLD SEASON ANALOGS...THIS EVENT IS SIMILAR AND STRONGER THAN TWO SIGNIFICANT WIND EVENTS FROM 22ND AND 27TH OF FEBRUARY OF 1997 FOR WHICH WINDS WERE RESPECTIVELY 63 AND 70 MPH. OUR CURRENT ISALLOBARIC GRADIENT TRAILING THE SURFACE LOW IS MUCH STRONGER THAN THESE PAST EVENTS...THUS HAVE MUCH HIGHER CONFIDENCE IN THE OUTLOOK FOR A STRONG BUT SHORT LIVED HIGH WIND EVENT THIS EVENING.

These 2 events pushed gust at KROC upwards of 80mph (if my memory serves me correctly). The NWS is saying that this event looks stronger than those. Anyone from the ROC area care to comment?

High Wind Event...

So the AFD out of BUF stated:

THE HIGH WIND SCENARIO WILL SET UP THIS EVENING AS THE SURFACE LOW LIFTS PAST TO THE NORTH. LOOKING AT THE SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY CIPS COLD SEASON ANALOGS...THIS EVENT IS SIMILAR AND STRONGER THAN TWO SIGNIFICANT WIND EVENTS FROM 22ND AND 27TH OF FEBRUARY OF 1997 FOR WHICH WINDS WERE RESPECTIVELY 63 AND 70 MPH. OUR CURRENT ISALLOBARIC GRADIENT TRAILING THE SURFACE LOW IS MUCH STRONGER THAN THESE PAST EVENTS...THUS HAVE MUCH HIGHER CONFIDENCE IN THE OUTLOOK FOR A STRONG BUT SHORT LIVED HIGH WIND EVENT THIS EVENING.

These 2 events pushed gust at KROC upwards of 80mph (if my memory serves me correctly). The NWS is saying that this event looks stronger than those. Anyone from the ROC area care to comment?

Yeah looks like very intense wind event from 7 pm to 3 am. Hoping my power does not go out!!

Back to 31.8 here in dense fog and mist. Dunno how perfect my thermometer is, could be freezing on things again. We'll stay socked in until the front approaches later tonight and then all of a sudden we'll spike briefly to maybe upper 30s and then crash.

Yeah looks like very intense wind event from 7 pm to 3 am. Hoping my power does not go out!!

* AT 505 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DAMAGING WINDS IN

EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THESE STORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING

FROM 25 MILES NORTHWEST OF WESTFIELD TO 31 MILES WEST OF FINDLEY

LAKE...OR ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 33 MILES WEST OF DUNKIRK TO

54 MILES WEST OF JAMESTOWN...AND MOVING EAST AT 65 MPH.

Here they come! Severe Thunderstorm Warning in January. HAHA! :lmao:

Lighting, Thunder, Very Heavy Rain, CRAZY WINDS! :popcorn:

Hit a high temperature of 55 here today. =0

Don't know how strong the winds were just gusting but god damn. Shook the entire house to the point pictures on the walls were rattling, and I live in a thick brick house.Never had the house shake ever. Must have been at least 60mph gust by my estimate.

Archived